How do you plan on getting through the holidays?

Options
So I just read an article on yahoo on their tips for making it through on the holidays without blowing your calories out the door. What are you planning on doing? Or, what have you done in the past?

I am sorry but Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of all time! I will not miss out on a delicious slice of pumpkin pie and cool whip!

LOL

Other then that I think I will hit the deviled eggs and the veggie trays mostly.

Replies

• ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Mind sharing the link? :D

I just plan on counting cal's still. I never was big on eating extra on holidays.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna let myself have what I want on Thanksgiving, but I'm sticking to one plate with no second helpings for dinner, and one small plate that I can put my favorite desserts on. So I'll likely just stick to smaller portions of everything, small slices of pumpkin pie, etc. Moderation is the key to the holidays, otherwise you get carried away and pig out. And I am not taking home any leftovers!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    hmm... good questions! I LOVE mashed potatoes, oh and stuffing! ACK I may have to starve all day just to eat those mashed taters! Never been much of a pie person, so that won't be my downfall. but those taters........
  • mollybeslimmer
    mollybeslimmer Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Ths year I plan on cooking lighter.I do not *diet* but made changes so I do not feel bad -I did all the starving-pills,shakes etc..only to fail and make up for what I loss.
    Enjoy your food.eat less of everything!
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat what everybody else eats. I will eat more of the salad and veggies and less of the other stuff.
    My friend and I always go out shopping for Black Friday- which means not going to bed usually and running around being silly until about 3 the next day. I'll be burning plenty of calories...!!:bigsmile:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I will work hard at the gym & earn my holiday treats. No shame in indulging when you've worked for it :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    is it absolutely horrible if my first thought upon seeing thread title was "with alcohol"

LOL
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Lucky for me, it's only me, my husband, and our daughter. She's 1 so she doesn't eat a lot. I can make enough for us and some leftovers for the next few days. Possibly a friend might come, but that's it!
  • Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    hmmm....I'm concerned too......I live in Peru, so holidays are a time when we pull out all our hoarded American items to make traditional dishes........I can't imagine not indulging........I need to think this through.........any advice will be helpful!
  • turboandrea
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy my Thanksgiving dinner like normal and just eat until I'm full. I'm teaching Turbo Kick the night before and the night after so hopefully that'll burn off the extra calories. It's totally fine to splurge one day. Plus, I'll need the extra calories for my energy for BLACK FRIDAY!!!! :D
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    We agreed at our house that holidays are about the celebration NOT the food.

We already had Thanksgiving in Canada and I did roast a turkey, but I layed the bird on a layer of chopped onions/celery/carrots, then drained the fat off and made gravy from what was left over. We had brussel sprouts, a green salad, and mashed yams with just a bit of brown sugar splenda browned on top.
    I made a pumpkin pie but cooked down fresh pumpkin myself, used splenda, and the crust was made with that flour that is whole wheat but "acts" like white flour so works out in most baking.

For our anniversary recently our meal plan had us eating chicken breasts and stemed veggies for dinner . . . and we had exactly that but put on some music and ate it by candelight.

Celebrate the day, celebrate the fact that your family is present, celebrate that you are trying to be healtier, but you can certainly NOT celebrate be eating to excess.
  • mindymoe1
    Options
    lucky for me i am doing all the cooking! everything will be low cal low fat! low sodium stocks,deviled eggs with miracle whip light,pumpkin bread made with applesauce,light cool whip,aspargus with light olive oil and lemon zest,mashed potatoes with almond milk and i cant belive its not butter. things like that. i dont eat meat so not worried about that part lol
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Mind sharing the link? :D

I just plan on counting cal's still. I never was big on eating extra on holidays.

Here is the link http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/joy-bauers-guide-to-avoiding-holiday-weight-gain-2399339/
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    lucky for me i am doing all the cooking! everything will be low cal low fat! low sodium stocks,deviled eggs with miracle whip light,pumpkin bread made with applesauce,light cool whip,aspargus with light olive oil and lemon zest,mashed potatoes with almond milk and i cant belive its not butter. things like that. i dont eat meat so not worried about that part lol

If I bring my own personal turkey can I come over? LOL
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    Avoiding holiday parties and not bringing holiday candy/sweets into our house.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I plan on having whatever I want, but not going insane. I have worked this hard over the past year I deserve a meal of goodness :o) I will not take home leftovers and I am not big on sweets. Happy (almost) Holidays everyone!
  • sgeorgia
    sgeorgia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I plan to work out twice on Thanksgiving and EAT!!!!! I'm hoping to only hit what my maintain weight would be (adding on my exercise calories). That way i won't gain but get to eat lots more than usual :-)

good luck!
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I plan on just eating what I would be buring that day and working out. I won't worry about leaving a deficit. One or two days out of months won't be too bad. Hopefully. LOL
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I say just be good for the rest of the week, and eat whatever the heck (and as much of it as) you want on the holidays. We need free/cheat days once in a while anyways....so just strategically plan them to fall on the days when you know you will want to indulge or won't be able to not.
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    Last Christmas I got to mom's house just as heck fell on to the earth. Meaning, she and I were quite literally trapped in the house for 3 days. (seriously... couldn't even open the doors because the snow was so high) I had started my "program" before Christmas so I was already on my way but I had baked. (Dude... I am in a house with double ovens for the first time EVER... baking is awesome with double ovens! lol) So we were trapped in her house, for three days plus the two more that I stayed after that) with a several dozen cookies and candies. I tracked every piece of cookie or candy I had. And I still lost weight. WHEEE!

I have no problem making food that I will want to eat, even if it means shunning the meal. I love the holidays, but have never been a big fan of much of the food that is made. And now, for thanksgiving, my mother has the meal catered by a local grocery store, so much of the food is processed instead of homemade. blech! Skipping most of that stuff will be very easy for me. I know it doesn't work for everybody, but I have no problem doing what I have to do for me.

(Maybe this is why i am 40 and single...lol)