Wearable tech..what ya got 'an what ya think

Options
13»

Replies

• sloane70
    sloane70 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's the one with the vibrate alarm. I also have what I call my "lazy alarm" set to buzz every 30 minutes from 8 AM to 8 PM, if I haven't moved. It helps me realize "Oh, wait, I need to actually get out of my darn chair!" and I go walk around my workplace for a few minutes and check in with coworkers & staff. Lots of little tweaks that I'm still learning :)
  • ingoiolo
    ingoiolo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a withings pulse, which is pretty cool even if the run option works fairly seldom. Not a huge daily motivator, but it adds to my self awareness. I never add the calories from it to MFP.

I also have a Polar ft80. Loved it for the first 6 weeks, now it is starting to act funny and lose connection with the hearth band a little bit to often
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I have a withings pulse, which is pretty cool even if the run option works fairly seldom. Not a huge daily motivator, but it adds to my self awareness. I never add the calories from it to MFP.

I also have a Polar ft80. Loved it for the first 6 weeks, now it is starting to act funny and lose connection with the hearth band a little bit to often

My Polar FT7 was doing that, but it worked again after using a tiny bit of dish soap and hot water! Did you rinse it after every workout and then clean it every few? There are care instructions in the manual/online. It might help! :) Mine hasn't acted up since I started rinsing it/cleaning it regularly.
  • LoupGarou63
    LoupGarou63 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you decide to take a look at the new Force, keep in mind it isn't waterproof!

Thanks for the heads up....I would have taken it for granted that the Force was at least water resistant as in I could show with it.
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    Morkie....interesting about the Polar loop...
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Runbrew....I guess what we need are integrated devices. I feel we are so close like the next two years will be interesting.
    I really want a heart strap that will connect to an android phone with bluetooth 4. Hurry up kitkat.

In an ideal world...I would like something like a fuelband for 24/7 activity monitoring. Then a gps to measure walk/run/bike workouts...and map. Tie that in with a bike computer. Hrm...
    The important thing some intelligent software to know which gadgets are in use and how best to cimbine them.
    I mean it's all doable right now. If the manufacturers make it I and more like me will buy it.

This would have been everything I could have asked for a year ago when I started doing this. It would have made losing 45 lbs so much easier, instead, I just just my calories down hard and sucked it up until my weight dropped enough that I wasn't undereating anymore. Having an accurate calorie count would have been so much more helpful.

I don't really need that level of tracking anymore that I have, what I feel is, a good handle on my calorie balance, but I can certainly see its appeal.

I 100% agree with you on the doablilty of it....it's all there, it just needs a smart guy to put into one package.
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    Sherm...thanks for the info...yet another iphone user.
    Must look up the upband.
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    Missy...I may get back on syncing...cos that is a hell of a problem for me. You obviously love your strnght training to great effect.
  • brandy1j
    Options
    Bumping.. just so I can get an idea of what works and what doesn't. :)
  • troy0
    troy0 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    loupgaroubayo I've had the problem with MFP and endomondo before too, what fixed it for me was disconnecting it from MFP, then going into Endo settings and "unlinking" MFP from there too, then go back to MFP and try to reconnect.

Its like the conduit at one (or both) ends is not clearing properly when you unlink it, but if you remove the relationship from both ends it might re-set it more thoroughly.

I use a fitbit one and Garmin 310xt, which I upload to endomondo, which is linked to MFP. I did the garmin connect to runtastic to MFP trick at one stage but like someone said earlier, it was inflating calories at the runtastic level so I removed it. Endo keeps the true calorie estimate count from the watch and pulls in the HR info.
    I also have a Polar rs800cx but I like the Garmin more.
    Then I link all that up to earnedit (http://earnd.it/T9zP9e - referral link) for some more social competitiveness.

Like others have mentioned, its borderline data geek obsessive but having long term data there is actually very valuable to see trends, improvements and to help make choices.

I can't wait until the next gen smart watches come out. I want something that can do the job of the Garmin and the fitbit (available now, kind of) without the need for tethering to a smartphone for full functionality (probably a little way off yet).

A lot of the smartwatches are already doing what you've detailed above, they're in various states of development but you can get your hands on several models today, you just have to be prepared to always have your smartphone attached to you somewhere as well. http://www.smartwatchnews.org/smartwatch/
  • melani75
    melani75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a misfit shine...I picked it because I wanted one I could use while swimming. I like it; it's small and you can wear it a lot of different ways. I wear it on a watch band for swimming and sleeping and use the magnetic loop to wear on a belt loop for walking. It lights up in a circle as you get closer and closer to goal. It only works with iphone right now so that's an issue for a lot of people.
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    Brandy...I would say the Nike fuelband really motivates. I think if you ain't got an iphone it is wasted. Otherwise if you want something to gauge how much you move each day it's good and looks pretty neat. I've had a few people say wow whats that. I would not use the calories counted on the fuelband to offset my calorie intake because I feel it's over generous in it's estimation. My Polar FA20 is a lot more low key....it's stingy with it's calories burned calculation.....so I am happy to use it's calorie calc as an offset.

I also have a Holux which I use for walking biking running etc because it has a gps.
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    Melani.....one factor that keeps on coming hp here is that nearly all devices will only connect to iphone as apposed toAndroid devices. I don't have to expand on that...it speaks....darn it, it screams for itself.

GOOD NEWS: MY ANDROID DEVICE UPGRADE TO VERSION 4.3 LAST NIGHT.

I AM NOW BLUETOOTH 4 CAPABLE. ....
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I just ordered the LINK Bodymedia Fit. I am super excited to get it! :D It has been out for awhile and seems to be pretty accurate. It does not use only motion to track activity like most of the other trackers out there. The thing holding me back from the BMF was the subscription fee and waiting to see what the Polar Loop would be like. I'm over both of those factors lol.

I have an iPhone 5.

Note: I will continue to utilize my Polar HRM along with my BMF. I LOVE my Polar HRM and so far it has been the best money I have spent on my health. Highly recommended.

This.
    I have the BMF and absolutely love it. I have lost weight with it. It tracks sleep, activity, steps, calories. It does have a subscription which I think is totally worth it. I did my research before I bought it and found that it was supposedly more accurate. I an happy with my choice. I also use my Polar FT40 with it to compare calories burned during exercise. They are both within very close range to each other. Together, they are helping me loose weight consistently. I use an iphone 5 too. :)