Spinning

Options
I just took my very first spin class this morning. OH MY GOODNESS....I wanted to die. I pushed my way through it but I thought my legs were going to fall off my body:tongue: I made it through it though. Don't know if I'll take another class but at least I've tried it. Yay me!!!:happy:

Replies

• chubbygirl30
    Options
    I just took my very first spin class this morning. OH MY GOODNESS....I wanted to die. I pushed my way through it but I thought my legs were going to fall off my body:tongue: I made it through it though. Don't know if I'll take another class but at least I've tried it. Yay me!!!:happy:
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I am a spinning junkie now. I HATED it when I first did it, but I learned how to push myself and when to back off (so I didn't puke!). Now I love it for the mere fact that I can burn GOBS of calories in an hour. Good for you for giving it a go! :happy:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Keep at it!! It gets better.
    I am now a spinning junkie!
    bike.gif
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Yep...hated it the first time too...thought I was seriously going to drop over dead!:noway: But...I'd say you should try it one more time. Now you know what to expect, so you can adjust how hard you work and have a better feel of how to push your body. Then after a second go-round if you don't like it, never do one again! It is a love or hate class. And now I LOVE it!!!!!!!:bigsmile: Still need to get some spinning shoes though. Has anyone found somewhere to get spinning shoes for relatively low cost???
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Funny you should say that...another friend who goes to the gym I go to was trying a spin class this morning and I am going to see how it is. I have slowly been working up to it. Hmm, might try it!! I hear it is a GREAT workout!

Good job Court!!! :wink:
  • chubbygirl30
    Options
    I think I will try another class. I didn't really know what to expect so now that I do I can go in prepared. I've always been a little intimidated by spinning. Now I know I don't have to be.
  • time2wrk
    Options
    Yep...hated it the first time too...thought I was seriously going to drop over dead!:noway: But...I'd say you should try it one more time. Now you know what to expect, so you can adjust how hard you work and have a better feel of how to push your body. Then after a second go-round if you don't like it, never do one again! It is a love or hate class. And now I LOVE it!!!!!!!:bigsmile: Still need to get some spinning shoes though. Has anyone found somewhere to get spinning shoes for relatively low cost???

I got mine at a bike shop for about $60. They never really "wear out" so it is worth the money and you work your hamstrings way more. Plus you can sprint easier because your feet aren't slipping around inside the pedal cage. It's a good investment.
  • debsgoal115
    Options
    Yup that's how i felt at my first spinning class! I never went back. :laugh:
    I do something else that's more my pace...

79077.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • time2wrk
    Options
    I think I will try another class. I didn't really know what to expect so now that I do I can go in prepared. I've always been a little intimidated by spinning. Now I know I don't have to be.

Remember that YOU are in charge of your bike, so if the teacher says to do something that feels wrong or is too much, just don't do it. Nobody knows your body like YOU> :wink:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    First class is ALWAYS tough. I see people leave tired and exhausted. KEEP AT IT!! It took me 2 weeks to really fall in love with Spinning. I wish I did it for years before I knew what it really was. Good music in the class also is very important! G'luck and don't give up.
  • MarcieinSB
    MarcieinSB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Spinning is the best form of cardio exercise. :happy: The first week of spinning I could hardy walk. But now I spin M- F at lunch time with the girls from work. It’s so much fun. I still need to get spinning shoes. I’ve been told that spinning shoes intensifies the workout. Last week I bought my first heart rate monitor and it tracks everything from my time, how many calories I burned, my heart beeps per minute and much more. You should definitely keep at it! Give it a couple of weeks. Good Luck! :bigsmile:
  • LJMommy
    LJMommy Posts: 6
    Options
    I also was not a fan of spinning at first. But just seeing the calories burned from doing it, made me go back and now I love it.

Our spinning classes are in the dark with black lights and the walls are all painted a big mural of a road (country and city scenes) that you can still see when the lights are off.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options

I got mine at a bike shop for about $60. They never really "wear out" so it is worth the money and you work your hamstrings way more. Plus you can sprint easier because your feet aren't slipping around inside the pedal cage. It's a good investment.

Yah...I usually have to stop half-way through and adjust the pedal cage! It's SO annoying and everyone I talked to says it's totally worth getting the shoes. Since I do go every week, I think it would be beneficial! Thanks for the info. I will have to check out some places near me!
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    Spinning rocks...it takes time but its fun.
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    I hate those damn pedal cages!! Never fit right.
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    I also was not a fan of spinning at first. But just seeing the calories burned from doing it, made me go back and now I love it.

Our spinning classes are in the dark with black lights and the walls are all painted a big mural of a road (country and city scenes) that you can still see when the lights are off.

How cool is that???
  • LJMommy
    LJMommy Posts: 6
    Options
    Yeah I love the darkness in there! :glasses:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I found a cheap pair of reebok spin shoes on ebay for 30 bucks...check out some alternatives to spending 100 on shoes...I just couldn't do it. Perhaps they were used...I have had no probs since...sister is a doc and says we're all just so paranoid about germs...they're awesome!
  • time2wrk
    Options
    I hate those damn pedal cages!! Never fit right.

Gotta get the shoes! :wink:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    What exactly is spinning and how is it different from stationary cycling? Could I do it with a normal bike and a pair of rollers?