bag full of fresh frozen pumpkin...

Options
RLAL09
RLAL09 Posts: 28
I got a bag of pumpkin from my parents and was planning on making some pumpkin bread out of it but then i realized how much sugars and other things i do not need to be having was in it.... so i have a delema... what can i do with a zip lock full of pumpkin

Replies

• carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    There was a recipe on here not too long ago for pumpkin chowder.... it sounded delicious. You could try googling that!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I've seen it suggested to stir canned pumpkin into greek yogurt... and you can crumble graham crackers on top for a "pumkin cheesecake"
  • RLAL09
    Options
    mmm that sounds good! Thanks Ill google that =)
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    First, make the pumpkin bread, but only make half a batch. Slice it up after it's done and cooled and freeze it in slices for an occasional special treat. Make the bread with whole wheat flour, and reduce the sugar by a quarter cup if you feel comfortable experimenting. Usually the sugar in sweet recipes can be reduced quite a bit without loss of texture or flavor.

Second, make soup possibly? I know someone posted a pumpkin and black bean soup recipe in the recipe forum here recently. You can also check out allrecipes.com and see what you turn up for pumpkin soup or just pumpkin. Good luck!
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    give it to me? XD ahahahahaha no jk.

soup! there are some DELICIOUS pumpkin soup recipes out there. and have you ever considered baking with a sugar subsitute like splenda or powdered stevia? no calories and they work just as well. i use Stevia in the Raw and i cant even tell a difference in my baking, you even measure it just like sugar (unlike splenda) its a little expensive but its SOOOO worth it. and a big bag goes a long way! (sorry i know i sound like a commercial but its changed my life! XD ha! i could never stop baking! its my life, and now i dont have to!)

you could also heat one or two cubes up at a time and mush them up to stir into oatmeal (if you like oatmeal that is!)

ooooo or bake them in a casserole dish with lots of cinnamon and cloves and ginger (or pumpkin pie spice....which is basically just what i said XD)

lots of things you can do with pumpkin! all it takes is a little searching online and i'm sure you can find TONS of recipes, it is the right season for it! :D

good luck with your cooking and ENJOY that yummy yummy pumpkin!
  • Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Here in Peru, pumpkin is unknown as a sweet delight.........we eat it all the time in soup.......I really like it that way and was surprised to find it was done that way here.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    you can use applesauce or splenda instead of sugar
  • Karisha2010
    Options
    Google Pumpkin Bisque with wild rice. You can make it in a crockpot and I decided to add chicken sausage to it as well. Made a very hearty yet healthy soup. (Use evaporated skim milk instead of half and half and you won't know the difference.)
  • RLAL09
    Options
    u think fresh rt from the pumpkin will taste the same as the canned??
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    there are literally endless options with pumpkin puree! add it to plain yogurt w/ a little sugar free, fat free vanilla pudding and pumpkin spice and it makes a great dessert. Add it to oatmeal for breakfast, with some cinnamon and walnuts for a delicious breakfast that will keep you full until lunch. Add it to cake mix instead of eggs + oil for low-fat, high fiber cupcakes that you don't have to feel too guilty about. Seriously - endless! Pumpkin puree never lasts in our house...
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/fall/r/pumpsoup.htm

Low Fat Cream of Pumpkin Soup

Fall is the perfect time to bring out the stockpot and make warming soups. This low fat cream of pumpkin soup is perfect on a cold fall day, or as an appetizer for a Thanksgiving dinner. A spoonful of plain low fat yogurt can be swirled in just before serving.
    Cook Time: 25 minutes
    Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tbsp curry powder
    1 tsp cumin
    3 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
    1 15-ounce can pumpkin
    1 12-ounce can evaporated fat-free milk
    Freshly ground Black pepper to taste

Preparation:
    Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until softened. Stir in curry powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and pumpkin. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add evaporated fat-free milk and cook for 2 minutes.
    Transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth.

Serves 6.

Per Serving: Calories 112, Calories from Fat 25, Total Fat 2,7g (sat 0.5g), Cholesterol 2mg, Sodium 101mg, Carbohydrate 15.6g, Fiber 2.9g, Protein 6.1g
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Not quite a brownie, these little low fat pumpkin squares make a delightful Halloween treat. Whole wheat pastry flour makes these pumpkin squares light in texture, and brown sugar and, of course, pumpkin, makes them nice and moist. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips to make the chocolatey taste spread further.
    Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp allspice
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
    1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    2 egg whites
    1 tbsp canola oil
    1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk flour, baking powder, cocoa, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt in a small bowl. In a large bowl, mix pumpkin, sugar, egg and egg whites and oil. Stir flour and spice mixture into egg and sugar mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Empty batter into pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
    Makes 16 squares

Per Square: Calories 63, Calories from Fat 14, Total Fat 1.5g (sat 0.3mg), Cholesterol 13mg, Sodium 30mg, Carbohydrate 10.1g, Fiber 1.5g, Protein 2.2g

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/bakedgoods/r/pumpkinsquares.htm
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    yummy.. soup sounds good :) If you like curry, pumpkin curry is tasty and easy.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I haven't tried this one either, but saved it for future reference. :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/10/pumpkin-banana-bread.html

Baking is a science and remaking cakes and breads to make them healthier is not always as easy as say remaking a pot of soup or a casserole. So whenever I am experimenting with baking, my fingers are crossed the whole time. I wasn't too worried about this pumpkin banana bread because I basically took my Banana Nut Bread recipe which is a deliciously moist bread and I improvised it with the pumpkin and spices. This came out super moist and we had a difficult time waiting for it to cool because it smelled so good! We scoffed up half this bread before I got a chance to photograph it. This was wonderful topped with some Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese!

Pumpkin Banana Nut Bread
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 12 slices (1 loaf) • Serving Size: 1 slice • Calories: 136 • Points: 3 ww points

Pam baking spray
    3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
    1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
    3/4 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground cloves*
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg*
    3 very ripe medium bananas, mashed
    1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
    2 tbsp butter, softened
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1 large egg white
    1 large egg
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 cup pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with baking spray.
    In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg whites, bananas, pumpkin and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
    Add flour mixture and nuts, then blend at low speed until combined. Do not over mix.

Pour batter into loaf pan and bake on the center rack for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the pan cool at least 20 minutes, bread should be room temperature before slicing.

* 1 tsp of pumpkin spice can be substituted for cloves and nutmeg
  • RLAL09
    Options
    =) This all sounds so GOOD!!! i dnt think ima have a problem using this whole bag of pumpkin now =) Thank you to all who replied!