i need help grocery shopping!

Options
it's that time of the week/month where the fridge is bare and i'm scrounging for food in my apartment. i need to go grocery shopping tomorrow and i will admit, i'm an AWFUL shopper. i forget about my diet and get whatever looks good, then i get home and get mad at myself.

so tell me. what do you buy when you go shopping for food? lunches, dinners, snacks? i'm partially limited because i'm broke, but i will consider all suggestions. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• shawnpcorreia
    Options
    Staple, must haves. First, a full belly! Lol Get a ton of quaker oats, eggs, proteins like chicken, fish, and lean steak such as eye round. Get enough to eat 6 egg whites per day and 1-2lbs meats. Tons of power veggies like broccoli, califlower, brussels sprouts, asparugus, etc and carbs top carbs are oats, sweet poatos, and brown rice. Then just mix and match at least 4 meals per day.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    A bag of oats, eggs, any protein on sale that week (beef/fish/chicken/turkey, etc. whatever is cheapest), two bags of frozen vegetables, fresh fruit on sale or a bag of apples (usually there are 8-10 for $5). Look for items similar to that and then with whatever money left over, get a few treats for yourself!
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Broke protein! Get a pork shoulder also called a picnic shoulder or pork butt! Usually these are about 8 or 9 lbs and have a big fat patch on one side. Put it in one of those foil roasting pans and rub some seasoning on it. It really doesn't matter what seasoning it is. I usually go with salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika and cumin (Just salt and pepper would be fine!). Then put it in the oven at 250 for most of the day (I do this on Sunday.) It is done when you can stick a fork all the way in and turn it with very little resistance. Pull it out and let it cool and then shred it off the bone I usually get about 6 or 7 lbs of meat for about $12 at my local Kroger. Make pulled pork bbq sandwiches, carnita tacos, add it to baked beans, just cuddle with it, whatever makes you happy!

A more official recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/easy-oven-baked-pulled-pork-sandwiches-with-pickled-peppers-recipe.html

Edit: I forgot to add that it should be fatty side up when in the oven, so the fat renders and runs down over the thing with the seasonings. Self basting!
    Another recipe to apologize for the edit: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/07/the-food-lab-how-to-make-crisp-and-juicy-carnitas-without-a-bucket-of-lard.html
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    almond milk, chicken, fruits, Greek yogurt, string cheese, brown rice, eggs, avocados, brussel sprouts, jello pudding cups, trader Joe's cookie butter.
  • _taylorlydia
    Options
    Broke protein! Get a pork shoulder also called a picnic shoulder or pork butt! Usually these are about 8 or 9 lbs and have a big fat patch on one side. Put it in one of those foil roasting pans and rub some seasoning on it. It really doesn't matter what seasoning it is. I usually go with salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika and cumin (Just salt and pepper would be fine!). Then put it in the oven at 250 for most of the day (I do this on Sunday.) It is done when you can stick a fork all the way in and turn it with very little resistance. Pull it out and let it cool and then shred it off the bone I usually get about 6 or 7 lbs of meat for about $12 at my local Kroger. Make pulled pork bbq sandwiches, carnita tacos, add it to baked beans, just cuddle with it, whatever makes you happy!

A more official recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/easy-oven-baked-pulled-pork-sandwiches-with-pickled-peppers-recipe.html

Edit: I forgot to add that it should be fatty side up when in the oven, so the fat renders and runs down over the thing with the seasonings. Self basting!
    Another recipe to apologize for the edit: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/07/the-food-lab-how-to-make-crisp-and-juicy-carnitas-without-a-bucket-of-lard.html
    my mouth is watering! :love:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yogurt
    String cheese
    Chicken
    Cottage cheese
    Bag lettuce or spinach
    Special K cracker chips
    Rice cakes
    Various raw veggies

Oh, and the grammar Nazi in me thanks you for using the word "bare" correctly!
  • wildluxy
    Options
    i buy the right stuff but i still feel hungry ... why is this?
  • Ian_Stuart
    Options
    my mouth is watering! :love:

Eating healthy is no reason to not enjoy your meals! :wink:
  • Ian_Stuart
    Options
    i buy the right stuff but i still feel hungry ... why is this?

There are several reasons this might be.
    Would you be willing to make your diary public so we can see what you eat?
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Staple, must haves. First, a full belly! Lol Get a ton of quaker oats, eggs, proteins like chicken, fish, and lean steak such as eye round. Get enough to eat 6 egg whites per day and 1-2lbs meats. Tons of power veggies like broccoli, califlower, brussels sprouts, asparugus, etc and carbs top carbs are oats, sweet poatos, and brown rice. Then just mix and match at least 4 meals per day.

I've been struggling with spending WAY too much on groceries. Love this list!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • bluestonechic
    bluestonechic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Now that we are getting into the fall and winter months......if you have a crock pot, it's a great time for soups and stews. Many recipes can be found online. Find meats on sell (chicken, pork shoulder, beef round--cut up for stew meat) and put in with veggies ( carrots, potatoes, turnips, celery, onion) and some bouillon cubes/seasonings with water--set it in the morning and you will have your dinner and leftovers for the week!
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Since it's cooled off, I've been craving soups and crock pot chilis. I make/blend my own soups with fresh veggies (i.e. sweet potatoes, carrots, onion and ginger) and sometimes pea soup (frozen peas), both of which are very affordable and so filling. I usually eat a grilled cheese with them. My crockpot chilis are cheap too...one example: ground turkey, onion, garlic, 13 bean soup mix, canned tomato sauce low sodium, frozen green chili; and another one with canned black beans low sodium and sweet potatoes. I freeze leftovers. I never leave the store without Greek yogurt and plenty of fresh apples and pears (ripen them in a brown paper bag for a couple of days). I usually buy my steel cut oats in the bulk bins unless I find pre-packaged oats on sale. Same goes for walnuts/almonds. I pretty much just hang out in the dairy, meat and produce sections. Good luck.
  • _taylorlydia
    Options
    Yogurt
    String cheese
    Chicken
    Cottage cheese
    Bag lettuce or spinach
    Special K cracker chips
    Rice cakes
    Various raw veggies

Oh, and the grammar Nazi in me thanks you for using the word "bare" correctly!
    all of you health junkies love string cheese! see, one doesn't satisfy me.. i have to eat like 3 to be happy. :grumble: so i stay away hahah.
    and you're welcome! hehe.
  • lizjoan3
    lizjoan3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    canned white beans, black beans...cheap..protein, fiber , filling and can use them in a variety of ways
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me that you need a plan.

Map out what you will eat for the week, make a list and prepare the food.

I make most of my meals for the week on Sunday. It does take sometime, but it is really nice to just be able to grab per prepared food out of the fridge.

I have tons of Tupperware.
  • _taylorlydia
    Options
    It sounds to me that you need a plan.

Map out what you will eat for the week, make a list and prepare the food.

I make most of my meals for the week on Sunday. It does take sometime, but it is really nice to just be able to grab per prepared food out of the fridge.

I have tons of Tupperware.
    how do you plan your meals/where do you get your inspiration? this is a great idea.
  • inverseofmissy
    inverseofmissy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    cottage doubles, greek yogurt, cheese sticks or baby bels, milk, eggs, veggies (onion, tomatoes, squash, cabbage...), lunch meat, baking potatoes/sweet potatoes, chicken/pork, bacon (I can't live without a little bacon or sausage for flavor in cooking stuff), special k cracker chips, some type of easy quick breakfast (I like special k cereal, grits, bagels w/light cream cheese), instant mashed potato bowls are a quick low cal fave of mine...
    For me, I have to have seasonings and flavors I like to help me stick to the meals and healthier foods I've bought or planned. I love the goya sazon packets, hidden valley ranch powder, garlic powder, kernel seasons popcorn seasonings (awesome on potatoes and veggies and only 2 cals/serving), light butter, etc. Most of this stuff is very low cal and big on flavor. Also light or low fat versions of things I love like cream cheese, sour cream, milk, etc. so I don't feel guilty if I want a bagel or some sour cream to dip something in...
  • _taylorlydia
    Options
    Now that we are getting into the fall and winter months......if you have a crock pot, it's a great time for soups and stews. Many recipes can be found online. Find meats on sell (chicken, pork shoulder, beef round--cut up for stew meat) and put in with veggies ( carrots, potatoes, turnips, celery, onion) and some bouillon cubes/seasonings with water--set it in the morning and you will have your dinner and leftovers for the week!
    i would LOVE a crockpot- maybe i'll put it on my christmas list. ;)
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I start with a dinner plan for the week then buy the ingredients for that.
    Then look at lunches and what i need for baking (almond flour, liquid honey etc)

Breakfast is protein shake and berries or scrambled eggs.

I still get treats for my sons but buy then a tin of hot choc and pack of muesli bars each and write their name on it.

I cant have chips/ cookies in the house at all because I end up eating them but will get cupcakes or something and put them in the freezer with just the right number for my boys so I dont get tempted.

I also do the bulk of my grocery shopping online which really helps as I dont get so caught up in the moment.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Healthy food doesn't have to be more expensive than unhealthy food, and it can easily be less expensive. Don't feel like you have to stock your entire kitchen in one swoop. It might be better to start with planning a few meals and snacks, and just buying what you need for those, and then adding as you go along.

Vegetables (I usually buy fresh, in-season, because I prefer the taste and that's the best value, but if you can find good deals on frozen or canned, go for it, especially if you are likely to let the fresh produce spoil). Right now I have in the kitchen fresh tomatoes, avocados, turnips, cabbage, baby kale, hot peppers, scallions, mature onions, garlic, parsley, mint (I'm planning to make falafel), and sage (I want to use it in a white bean dish), as well as frozen peas and frozen roasting/mashable potatoes -- I haven't tried them yet, but if I buy a five-pound bag of potatoes, they sometimes start to rot before I finish them, so when I realized that the per-pound prize for the frozen ones on sale were comparable, I thought I'd given them a try). I have canned corn and various canned tomato products, and a can of asparagus (I don't recommend it if you're used to fresh or frozen, but it's the only way I had asparagus until I was a teenager, so it's kind of a nostalgia flavor for me).

Fruits - right now I have fresh apples, banana, a pomegranate, lemons, and limes. I'm not super impressed with frozen fruit, but it will work in a smoothy, so you can keep your eye out for sales on frozen fruit. I usually keep a variety of dried fruit on hand (apricots, cranberries, dark and golden raisins [sultanas in some parts of the world], cherries), mostly for baking, but mixed with some nuts and maybe a little chocolate, if you've got a craving, it can be a decent snack. I also buy applesauce in the little four-ounce cups, so I don't feel like I have to eat an entire jar once I open it.

Protein: Less expensive cuts of meat will generally take longer to cook. If you want to stick with things like chicken breasts, which are extremely versatile and cook in 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how you're cooking them, buy the "value" or "family size" packages when they're on sale, repackage them into the number of breasts you'll need for one meal, and freeze them. Back when I cooked more meat, I liked eye of round steak (which is a relatively inexpensive steak cut) to cut up for stir fries. You can stretch a relatively small amount of meat with veggies in a stir fry (brocolli, mushrooms, carrots, cabbage, and onions are all really good like this).
    I eat vegetarian the majority of the time when I'm at home, and if you don't go in for "fake meat," it can be less expensive than meat. I keep canned beans (mainly black, cannelini, chickpeas/garbanzos, and small pink beans, because I like them best) and dried beans (black, navy or great northern, chickpeas/garbanzos, lentils, split peas), as well as a variety of nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachios, peanuts, hazelnuts) and nut butters. I also rely on dairy (greek yogurt, milk, cheese in its infinite varieties, kefir, cream, and butter) and eggs, as well as nondairy milks (e.g., almond, soy, coconut, hazelnut). But I do keep some meat/poultry/fish in the freezer (salmon cakes, a package of breaded chicken I bought on impulse, and some bacon that I'll dice frozen--it's actually easier that way--and use as flavoring in a vegetable dish. Yummy with brussels sprouts. I also keep canned tuna and sardines, and I usually have some canned soup on hand that has meat or poultry in it, and I often have a can of chili to use as a short cut in making my own chili (add more beans and tomatoes, serve over a baked potato or pasta).

Grains, cereals, bread. Oatmeal is great, convenient, and versatile (you can cook it in the usual way; I eat it raw with yogurt, nuts and fresh or dried fruit; lots of people will tell you about the wonders of "overnight oatmeal. It can also go in soups to thicken them and give them a creamy texture without cream.) I usually keep white and brown rice, white and whole grain pasta, couscous, and a variety of whole grain hot cereals, which I tend to eat more as savory side dishes or the "bed" for a stew, or as an add-in to a salad, rather than as breakfast. I also bake a fair amount so I have white and whole grain flour and corn meal on hand. I keep whole grain cold cereals, because there's nothing easier than a bowl of cereal with milk and fruit when you're starving and you want something NOW that isn't empty calories. I keep commercial bakery bread in the freezer to toast and spread nut butter on (or Nutella, when I want a chocolatey treat).

Edited to fix typo