Looking for friends with chronic pain issues.

Options
I am in my 30's with fybromyalgia. I am looking for motivating friends who experience what i am experiencing throughout this journey. I.E. pain after every workout. :cry: pain everyday. :sad: having to push yourself every minute of a workout. I am determined to lose the weight and stay active and healthy although it is very difficult. i initially lost 70 lbs a year ago, but gained 28 back, now i have 20 lbs left to lose to get back where i want to be. is anyone out there?

Replies

• Wegottahavethis
    Options
    :drinker: well, hello and good morning! I just joined this project and this sounded like a place to start. Fibro is one of the diagnosis-of-the-month some decades ago.

I don't know your circumstances, but I found treating fibro (and arthritis, digestive probs, asthma, etc.) as symptoms of inflammation helped me get a handle on actually doing something to control the pain and fog and have a life! Started eliminating lots of foods, I am true allergic to a few and highly sensitive to bunches. Then, I eliminated gluten. After several years of improvement, I did the sugar elimination with 5 weeks of Rx for fungal sinus infection did wonders. However, I failed to stay on the super strict diet and some other things happened this summer to train wreck my health and so. Here I am starting over.

Yesterday I met with a personal fitness trainer. This morning I signed on here. Hurting and procrastinating.
  • mumnpets
    mumnpets Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi necee99,
    i have had fibro for over 20 years and know how debilitating it can be.Everyone with fibro suffers in different ways and has to find an individual way of dealing with it. I find that if i dont do any exercise i stiffen up and have more pain but if i do to much i suffer more pain,it is so difficult to find the right balance especially as symptoms vary from day to day:ohwell: . My best exercise is walking and although it tires me out i try and walk every other day for at least 30 mins.:wink: I have tried other exercise but it hurts my muscles to much,my worst pain areas are neck,shoulders,head and lower back,but i also have exhastion,balance issues and lots of other things. i would be glad to become your friend to offer support on your journey to reach your goals.:flowerforyou:
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a health condition similar to lupus so I also deal with chronic pain on a daily basis. I find that psychologically, when i exercise, i can tell myself that I can function normally, and then I can... that is not to say it doesn't hurt, and that there are days wehre I physically cannot walk, but I like to be "normal" so when I go for a run, I feel normal...

Does that make any sense at all?L???
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I have Fibro. I know that sounds rediculus, but I have had 3 back surgeries over the last 12 years. I have had many things thrown at me over the years, degenerative disc disease, arthritic, etc. do understand the chronic back pain. It is 36 degrees this morning. I know, that may not be cold to many of you, but I live in south Louisiana.

I had a friend get me started on a workout regimen. He had back problems and two heart attacks, and was 200 lbs, at 5'7 & 48 years old. He is in great shape now. He told me to stay away from sit ups, and only crunch on a yoga ball. You have to stay away from things that put pressure on your lower back, at least until you really get those muscles built up.

I didn't feel I could go to some 28 year old personal trainer who spends 4 hours a day in a gym. They are not physical therapist and don't really understand how to work with my limitations.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    My sister is a chronic pain I have to live with... does that count?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I have Fibro. I know that sounds rediculus, but I have had 3 back surgeries over the last 12 years. I have had many things thrown at me over the years, degenerative disc disease, arthritic, etc. do understand the chronic back pain. It is 36 degrees this morning. I know, that may not be cold to many of you, but I live in south Louisiana.

I had a friend get me started on a workout regimen. He had back problems and two heart attacks, and was 200 lbs, at 5'7 & 48 years old. He is in great shape now. He told me to stay away from sit ups, and only crunch on a yoga ball. You have to stay away from things that put pressure on your lower back, at least until you really get those muscles built up.

I didn't feel I could go to some 28 year old personal trainer who spends 4 hours a day in a gym. They are not physical therapist and don't really understand how to work with my limitations.
    I'm not sure if you've ever done physical rehabilitation. I've had to after both knee surgeries (yay ****ty genetics) and what I've learned is band training is A LOT tougher than it seems and is really effective. Honestly, doing banded walks with a bum knee back in rehab was harder than dead lifting 370 lbs.
  • necee99
    Options
    Hi! I have a health condition similar to lupus so I also deal with chronic pain on a daily basis. I find that psychologically, when i exercise, i can tell myself that I can function normally, and then I can... that is not to say it doesn't hurt, and that there are days wehre I physically cannot walk, but I like to be "normal" so when I go for a run, I feel normal...

Does that make any sense at all?L???

yes that totally makes sense! lol.
  • necee99
    Options
    My sister is a chronic pain I have to live with... does that count?

of course. family support and understanding is part of the battle :flowerforyou: especially when people say you LOOK like nothing is wrong with you and oh, you are young.... that doesn't tell how my body feels inside.