Runner envy! How do they do it?

Options

Replies

• mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was NEVER a runner until this summer. I have done a 10K and now training for a 1/2 marathon. Things that get me running- proper running clothes, especially good running shoes and running socks. An awesome playlist. Heartrate monitor. I tell myself I can't stop unless something hurts. I think it's more mental than anything.

THIS!! It is such a mental game. I'm officially convinced. I couldn't run a 5k this last August without stopping. This last October? Ran my first half marathon without stopping. MENTAL, right?!

Out of breath? Keep running, but slow it waaaay down. Don't walk! Just jog. If you must, power walk like a boss until you've caught your breath again. Keep pushing. Unless it HURTS, just keep those legs moving!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling for 15 months but have never given in. Last week I finally managed to break my 1.25m miles max and did over 2 miles. It just takes time and not giving up.

As others have suggested try C25K and also make sure you get your running shoes fitted.

P)s I also have quite bad asthma but make sure you take inhaler before running and I've found having water with me helps.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    2 advices:

-Couch to 5k (C25K)
    - SLOW DOWN your pace!
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When I was a baby, I couldnt run. I couldnt walk. I couldnt stand unaided. I couldnt crawl so I had to be helped.

Moral? Take it in stages and dont expect it to come all good immediately.

4 years ago I couldnt run 100 metres and had a fifteen minute mile pace.

Now I can cover three miles @ 7 minute mile pace and can run 12 miles no problem.

I get injuries but they are all part of the training progress eg IT band issues, achilles issues, DOMs etc.

Run if you can
    Walk if you must
    Crawl if you have to
    Just never give up

I love this. I could barely run a quarter of a mile 9 months ago. I finished a half-marathon this past Sunday without stopping to walk once.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am 58 years old and have never been a runner. A few months ago I started the c25k training. I took it really slow. I did some weeks or days twice. When I first started I got out of breath running 2.5mph for 1 minute. Now I can run 5 miles non stop with 3.7mph being my slowest during the run.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    How long did you try for? Running requires endurance, the only way to build endurance is with repeated practice.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yep, slow is the key. Slower than you walk. Stupid slow. So slow that you feel like an idiot.

******But then the magic happens***********

You realize....I'm still going....I feel like I could go a little further........

(And when it gets hard, instead of stopping completely, try to slllloooooowwww doooowwwwn even more.)

It worked for me. I went from no running at all ever in January (as a fat 36 year-old with two kids) to running 8 miles (the first time ever this past Saturday) in 96 minutes. I never used C25K, though I'm sure it's very good. But without C25K there was not the encouragement to stop running (like a turtle) and walk. I prefer running my whole distance, even at a pace that resembles stumbling through mud.

Did I mention going slow?
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Start slow, and keep at it

It will eventually click
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K! With a group if you can. It provides comraderie and accountability. Take your time and slow down whenever you feel like you're out of breath. Also, get a professional to fit you for shoes. I have lower body injuries and properly fitting shoes make all the difference. Good luck!
  • LauraElectric
    LauraElectric Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run 5K traing ap. Starts off real slow with run/walk/heel lifts etc to build your strength and endurance and the storyline mixed in with your playlist really distracts you. I LOVED it, and finished all 8 weeks. As I am waiting for a phone upgrade I can't get the rest of the missions yet, so I have been going back and redoing the later weeks of training, I can't believe how much easier I am finding them this time, just shows how far I've come without even realising it :)
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Run if you can
    Walk if you must
    Crawl if you have to
    Just never give up

That is my new motto...starting now. I love it. Thanks for sharing.

OP I would also suggest checking out Jeff Galloway's run/walk method. There are tons of people, including me, that do that and it works great. It was hard to get in my head that I have to run the entire distance to consider myself a runner but I have learned that people take walk breaks all the time and it's OK. I'm up to a 10K distance now. You will see people running half's and full marathons taking walk breaks. It's Ok.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Definitely c25k. I used the NHS podcasts. Very helpful and encouraging. During the running intervals please remember this.. "If you can run any slower, you are running too fast!" Seriously. It can be at a pace barely faster than a walk. It is not about speed, it's about building endurance. Speed will come later.

And good shoes. Have your gait analyzed at a running store and find out what kind of shoes would be best for you. You don't necessarily have to buy them then and there, take your knowledge to the internet and find some deals. Good running shoes are an investment, but they will save you from pain down the line. Change your shoes every 300-500 miles. They might still look good, but the cushioning has taken a beating.

And a little known secret... breaking up long distances with short bits of walking will help you go much further rather than slowly burning yourself out. I like to put in a minute of walking about every mile or so.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'll second what everyone else is saying. Couch to 5k and go slow. Also, focus on your breathing and finding a rhythm. That worked wonders for me. I'd Google some breathing recommendations since there seem to be a ton of them and everyone will have a different preference/style. I do two in two out, both through the mouth. As reference I'm 5'11" 237lbs of not all muscle. I firmly believe almost anyone can run if they just train (within reason of course).
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am totally an advocate of C25k!!! I am actually starting week 3 day 2 today and have seen leaps and bounds of improvement. I have never been a runner, and when I started I could barely run 15 seconds consecutively...now I can run 3 minutes straight...SO FAR!!! I am so proud (and shocked lol).

I also have to second a few people on here by agreeing that it is definitely a mind over matter ordeal. When I'm running and start to feel tired, I start thinking about stopping, but NO. You have to push yourself!! I remind myself that I *can* do this, and a few more seconds isn't going to kill me. And then the endorphins kick in and I am able to do it....feeling so good about myself that I did :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    The secret is that there's no secret.

Start with walking if necessary, then short slow running intervals which gradually (and I mean gradually......C25K is too aggressive for some people in my opinion) get longer and longer. If you find yourself getting out of breath go slower.

When I started running I could barely get around the block, my run was probably more of a slow shuffle....fast forward a few years (I ran my first 5K in 2009) and I'm running half-marathons and short duathlons / triathlons.

Be patient, be consistent and be persistent. Work at your own pace and have fun!
  • seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I also have scoliosis, asthma, flat feet, owies (mostly mental) from trying to jog and complete runner's envy! However, thanks to all of these posters, I am definitely going to try couch to 5K again in the new year!
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Running is easy. I started again after a. 2 year break about a month ago and am already at 6 miles non stop half of which is hills. You might think that's hard but once I hit mile 3 I'm super high and feel no pain because of the endocannabinoids and endorphins my body releases. I think a lot of beginners aren't running long enough to reach second wind or get the runners high - once you do running becomes effortless.
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Three years ago I wasn't a runner either. I made tons of mistakes and it was painful and slow going.

Now I am a runner. It's my passion and I run about 200 miles a month. Start slowly. If you are out of breath SLOW down. Almost everyone that tries running and hates it or quits is running too fast.

Even experienced runners have the same issues as they build a good fitness base. You should be able to hold a conversation while running. If you can't... slow down.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I started "running" in june, and was only able do to 2 miles in an hour. I kept at it, and slowly, day by day, I would get a little faster. I can now run 5 miles in an hour. ...just in time for it to be too cold to go play outside, anymore. :p

it's just perseverance. and a really good playlist to listen to to keep you moving. :)

best of luck! remember, you're worth it!