Will just walking help me lose weight

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Would 30 minutes of brisk walking most days a week be sufficient? How fast would I see results?

It's always better to be moving than not moving, of course, just understand that 30 minutes of walking will burn very few calories.
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Give it a try. It probably won't make you gain...
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I started my exercise "life" by walking. I started by doing 30 minutes each and every day, but gradually increased it until I was walking 2 hours a day non-stop, and by that point I felt I NEEDED to do something else in addition to walking... specially as the cold wet nights of winter were coming.
    I am naturally a shy person, and the thought of joining a gym was terrifying to me (especially as I was still very overweight) but one day I was walking past a gym and I walked in and asked to see around it... I did the same for each of the gyms along all my walking routes. But seeing some of the people in 2 of the 3 gyms were like me (very overweight) and friendly, I decided to take a trial membership out at one, just to get me through the winter... I would've kept going too, if I hadnt had a fall and torn a ligament while walking on a pebble beach! So I cancelled the gym, and started walking slowly again as soon as my physio allowed it.
    This time last year I joined my current gym, and I started a couple of classes, swimming and lifting weights (my upper body is now starting to shape up a little now too), and I walk to and from the gym, and walk miles every weekend, and I still enjoy my walking :)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    yes. if you are eating at a deficit and walking you will. i lost most of my weight with only walking. i just joined a gym on november 1st. prior to that it was only walking.
  • nielsenjl
    nielsenjl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than NOTHING. My opinion about a cheat day is this. Make it a cheat Meal. One meal per week. A whole day can set me off and then the next day I eat bad.

I follow Bob Harpers Skinny Rules. Google it. It is well worth it!

BestRegards!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, but yes walking will help with that goal. Walk fast, walk far, walk long. Uphill if you can.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking can help with weight loss. It burns calories, and improves mood. It can also help maintain muscle while you lose fat.

But it is important to remember that it is a calorie deficit that causes fat loss. The extra calories burned from exercise can make keeping a deficit easier, but the deficit is still the important part.

You should begin to feel a difference soon after you start walking regularly. But, weight loss is different. How soon and how much of a difference you see can depend on many things.

How sedentary were you before you started walking? Going from very sedentary to active can cause water weight gain at first, and perhaps even some increase in muscle. Water and muscle contribute to weight, so even though you may be losing fat, you might not see it as soon on the scale.

How intensely are you walking? A fast pace burns more calories than a slow pace. Hills burn more than level. Pumping your arms burns more than letting them swing naturally.

30 min a day, 3 days a week is the recommendation for health. This is the minimum amount with data to support increased heart and vascular health. But more is good. And more burns more calories.
  • msmonique46
    msmonique46 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I concur. This is great advice!!!
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great way to lose weight! In fact, I attribute a lot of my weight loss to the Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds: 5 mile walk dvd. You can view it on youtube. It's a fast, easy and effective workout - a big help when you want to walk but can't because of weather, nighttime or you're traveling. I just play the youtube video on my laptop or nook.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    The one thing I noticed in your post that it seems no one touched on is that you said you want to "tone up". Just as long as you realize that the only thing you're going to be toning by walking is your legs. Core and upper body strength excercises should be added for all over toning. But, exercise is exercise so walking is good.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Walking uphill will tone your core somewhat. But it needs to be a pretty steep incline. I live in the Sierra, my walks include a lot of steep hills, I really feel it in my core. It also helps to contract your core, as you hike those hills.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the one you will keep doing. If that exercise is walking, then WALK. I also started with walking, and it helped a lot in instilling in me an good exercise regimen. I have since started lifting heavy, and that has made a huge difference. The best explanation I got when starting out was this: Your weight you will loose in your kitchen. Your body you will sculpt with weights and cardio will give you extra calories to eat and keep your heart healthy.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise!
    Tuck in your tailbone, engage your abdominal muscles and get your arms moving. Cross your arms to the opposite side with step to further engage and strengthen your core. If you are on a path with no one around to see you try walking with your feet a little wider to use different muscles. Walking backwards also changes up the muscle but I feel to silly to actually do it outdoors. :blushing:
  • EvyMetal
    Options
    When I first started MFP walking was all I could do and I have continued that as I have lost. I have been logging in every day since January 6, 2012 and have lost 78 lbs. Let me add that I also count my calories and have completely cut sugar out of my diet. Walking has saved my life but I am ready to do some additional work to create better muscle tone. Anything that gets your heart rate up and gets you moving is good.
  • dorkof82
    dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    walking is a great way to start exercising when you havent been, its low impact on the body and great for you. it will help shed lbs, but everyones body is different and reacts different so as for the asking how long it will take to see results- that just depends on your body...

as for toning, i think you'll need to do more than just walk... unless leg toning is the only area you're looking for. if you have an iphone or a smartphone in general, there are great apps out there that can help you tone up, lose weight or just get you moving. i personally have been doing these daily 5 min apps, they are great!! each one takes 5 minutes and it focuses on a specific body part- and its free, and you have it with you at all times. between my fitbit and my phone, who needs a gym?
  • zacharydeveaux
    zacharydeveaux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm down over 110lbs in less than 10 months - my exercise has consisted of nothing but walking, really. I spend 2-3 days a week at the gym - I walk 15 minutes at a slow/normal pace around their walking track, then spend 30 minutes at a brisk pace on a treadmill (just below jogging/where it would become difficult to keep up).

Doing that plus being on a calorie deficit has kept me on a steady weight loss throughout the last 9-10 months. So the quick answer is.....yes. Just walking will help you lose weight as long as you aren't eating too many calories.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    When I walk, my shortest route is 2.2km (1.36 miles) and burn 122 calories [This distance takes about 20 minutes for me]
    When I walk the same route twice (4.4km or 2.73 miles) I burn 249 calories.. [.. 40-50 minutes]

I wear a heart rate monitor around my chest which computes to my watch how many calories I burn exactly and to make sure I am in a healthy zone with my heart rate.

Some days I do a large walk around 6km's long and sometimes 4km's.. Depends how I'm feeling on the day.
    I've been doing this for as many days during the week as I can manage (usually anywhere from 5-7 days per week) for 4 weeks and have lost 1.9kg so far. So yes.. It works! :) I should add I also eat 1200 calories a day and I eat back exercise calories if I need to.. Most days this can be half of the calories I have burnt and sometimes most of them! Just depends how hungry I am :)

Like you, I don't have much to lose, only a few more kg's until I shed some of my pregnancy weight and then I will work on maintainence and toning more :)

Edited to add more info.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It's possible! I lost 50lbs primarily walking, while eating low carb.
  • LilAilsa
    Options
    Yes it will help you lose weight!

I have severe anxiety as well so I don't go outside much so I bought my self a mini exercise bike. I can just watch a tv program and pedal through it so it's not so bad :P

(wasn't so expensive either)
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    I walk five miles a day! My MFP exercise level is set to sedentary and I don't record my walking to MFP because I think it grossly overexaggerates how many calories I burned, but it works for me! I eat 1,500 calories a day...low carb/high protein, walk a lot, and in the past 3 weeks I've lost 12 pounds. Working thus far. :)