Old Navy Compression Pants - Bargain or Bust?

Options
Brrrr getting cold out there! Was thinking of trying some compression pants, and wondering if Old Navy's line at around $30 (before sales) were comparable or worth getting, vs the $50 (and up) Under Armor cold gear, Nike's line, or any of the others that tend to be a bit pricier.

They'll be used for early-morning 4-10mi runs, so comfort/warmth is a priority, not looks. I'm short (under 5ft) so if they don't come in petite, being fitted at the ankle is fine, I can scrunch them up. Separately, I've heard good things about Old Navy, but I don't know how they compare to other brands/options. Thanks!

Carrie

Replies

• itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I dont know about Old Navy because I havent tried them but I do have a couple pairs of the Nike Therma fit. I got them at Marshalls for $20-25 (one pair is a weird olive color but I dont care they are warm). I have also seen similar prices at both Ross and TJ Maxx. Not sure if you have those stores in your area but if you do it may be a good option.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Old Navy's workout pants!!! I always wait for a sale. But there's a store very near to my office and the gym, so when I inconveniently forget my pants, I have been known to buy impulsively. No regrets.
  • waterwaif
    waterwaif Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I ordered some old navy compression pants last week because they were on sale but haven't received them yet.

I DO own and love Gap's compression pants. I have the capris, not the full length ones. I figure Old Navy's will be slightly worse quality but similar design since they are the same company and all. And they were less than half the price on sale.
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I LOVE their compression pants. Great for running. Looks like everything on the site is 30% off now.

As a plus, I think the "compression" holds everything in a little tighter - I always think I look 5 lbs thinner in their pants.

As far as warmth goes, they're really just ordinary pants - if you're running in 10 degree weather, they're not going to be warm enough for that - you might want to consider something that's 2 layer - like the Under Armour Cold Gear (although I haven't tried that).
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Old Navy's compression pants aren't really compression. Compression also isn't the same as cold gear. Compression gear is pretty much a workout just to get on and off. I love my compression knee highs for long runs! Old Navy gear isn't going to give you the circulatory and reduced fatigue benefits of real compression gear. That said they are pretty good for moving in (zumba, yoga, spinning etc) and light running.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I dont know about Old Navy because I havent tried them but I do have a couple pairs of the Nike Therma fit. I got them at Marshalls for $20-25 (one pair is a weird olive color but I dont care they are warm). I have also seen similar prices at both Ross and TJ Maxx. Not sure if you have those stores in your area but if you do it may be a good option.

I haven't tried ON compression pants but I have a compression top from there that I like. I would also suggest trying Marshall's/TJ Maxx though. I get 95% of my workout clothes there since you can get high quality, name brand stuff for cheaper than the lower quality ON, Target, etc. stuff.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i can't speak to the warmth factor of the old navy pants, but i like them for indoors.

BUT order online and get the petite. they run long (length and torso)... i have some petite and some not. let's just say it isn't a fantastic look to have to pull up the pants during a class or out in public!!
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do any sort of fall/winter running, I'd advise investing in at least a ColdGear layer. I think it's called something different for every manufacturer, but basically you want something that's going to help you maintain your warmth. .I have found bargains on cold running gear at Marshalls and the like, most of the tags will specify that it's made for cold weather running, etc. Sometimes you can luck out and find out that's made for both cold and heat.

Layering it with compression gear isn't a bad idea either depending on the length of your runs to help aid with circulation etc. But as most have said Compression vs Cold Weather gear are generally separate. That being said I've bought compression pants from old navy and they have served me well for my longer runs when pared with compression socks, etc.

Good Luck!
  • waterwaif
    waterwaif Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Funny enough my Old Navy order arrived in today's mail. So I opened the box and tried them on.

The compression pants aren't really compression pants. They fit like leggings and feel smooth but that's it. There isn't much compression. They also run big. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 150 and the Medium is a bit loose.

They are comfortable and I can run in them but they are NOT compression pants.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Target's C9 brand has fleece lined running tights. I own about 4 pairs because that's all I wear in the Winter. Only like $25 and hold up really well.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Brrrr getting cold out there! Was thinking of trying some compression pants, and wondering if Old Navy's line at around $30 (before sales) were comparable or worth getting, vs the $50 (and up) Under Armor cold gear, Nike's line, or any of the others that tend to be a bit pricier.

I have Nike and UnderArmour, and it's fantastic stuff.

I also have tons of the Old Navy stuff, because it was on sale for $9-$15 a piece, and it's almost as good. Pretty much indistinguishable, to be honest. And at a quarter the price, it's a no brainer, I loaded up on it.