Running getting worse?

Options
I started the C25K program back in August. September went terrible for me and I didn't work out at all. October I picked myself up again and started C25K again. Thought I would have to start from the beginning but I was okay to go to week 2. Then I went to week 3. Boy was I sucking wind. I think I have the lactic acid buildup issue because I started getting the burning sensation in my legs like they were on fire. Went away as soon as I started walking. I increased my water intake and made sure to eat a little something before workouts. I repeated week 3 because I was sucking so bad. I moved on to week 4. Still having the same problems where I almost cant finish those 5 minutes! I repeated week 4. I know people often say "It's a mental thing" so I moved on to week 5 day 1 today. I moved on because- obviously I CAN make it through the 5 minutes. It is just super hard. My problem is- how come this isn't getting any easier? Why is this getting MORE difficult to get through these runs for me? I repeat these weeks and I feel like it is the first time EVERY time. Is it normal for your legs to be so daggum stubborn and refuse to adapt to the longer runs? I am not moving on to day 2 of week 5 because I can hardly get through day 1's five minute bursts- no way am I going to get through 8 minutes without falling off my treadmill! Sorry it is so long- I am super frustrated..... Any help?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Do you have any cardio base to do this? Are you able to walk briskly 3 times a week for 30 minutes at a time. You need to be able to do this at least to do something like C25K. I'm of the opinion that C25k can push a lot of people too fast. Go back to basics get some good walks in over the nexr few weeks when your comfortable with that either start C25K again or just do your own walk run routine, Where you can set your own goals

The fact that you have failed twice makes me think you don't yet have the base.
  • mandygivens
    mandygivens Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Oh. and I want to add that my breathing is not the issue, it is my legs not being able to do it. I run at a comfortably slow pace- 4.5 mph and I can't run slower than that. If I do I am pretty much walking and it makes everything worse....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Slow down...also, I would agree that it doesn't sound like you have a very good aerobic base currently...just slow down and work on that base.

Also, some people just aren't runners...I be one of those people. Even at the height of my fitness in the Marine Corps I could barely complete the run portion of my PFT in the allotted time despite the fact that I ran all of the time. Being a good runner has a lot to do with genetics as well as proper training.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    That's how i got running for 60 minutes, over time it decreased and i was running shorter and shorter timescales, then a little twinge started kicking in and id injured my hip flexor, but i was struggling to get my legs to physically move for a while!

C25K is brilliant, but you really do need to adapt it sometimes. i actually found W5 easier than 4, but the biggest thing with it is people (i being one of them) are not taught about stretching and building core
  • mandygivens
    Options
    Do you have any cardio base to do this? Are you able to walk briskly 3 times a week for 30 minutes at a time.

Yes. Not only can I walk briskly for more than 30 minutes at a time but I also play tennis with my husband and daughter quite often- and I am very competitive.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    My first time through C25K I basically had to shuffle through the run portions until about week 6. Then I could actually jog slowly, about 4.2 mph. And I cannot run on the treadmill, it kills my legs and irritates my bad knee where running outside does not. Also, do you have good shoes? They are probably one of if not the most important thing to running.

My second time through C25K I was doing sprints for the first two weeks then realized my shoes had started to break down. Until I can afford new running shoes I am doing the elliptical and walking to keep my lungs in shape so it won't be too bad going back to running.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for running shoes by a professional? If you are having problems with your legs I would start there. Make sure you stretch after every run, drink enough water and get enough potassium in your diet. And if you have to repeat week 4 2 or 3 times, do it. Go at your own pace until you feel confident moving to the next week. Running is hard. I have completed several half marathons and some days a 3 mile run nearly kills me. :tongue:
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest. C25K never truly gets easier as it shouldn't until you've made it to the end. You should be pushing yourself to go longer and faster every time. That’s how the program is built. One thing that might help is stretching more and a proper warm up. Are you doing this? If you're not you might want to start.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My first time through C25K I basically had to shuffle through the run portions until about week 6. Then I could actually jog slowly, about 4.2 mph. And I cannot run on the treadmill, it kills my legs and irritates my bad knee where running outside does not. Also, do you have good shoes? They are probably one of if not the most important thing to running.

My second time through C25K I was doing sprints for the first two weeks then realized my shoes had started to break down. Until I can afford new running shoes I am doing the elliptical and walking to keep my lungs in shape so it won't be too bad going back to running.

I agree with this. Running on the dreadmill makes me want to DIE.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    My problem is- how come this isn't getting any easier? Why is this getting MORE difficult to get through these runs for me? I repeat these weeks and I feel like it is the first time EVERY time. Is it normal for your legs to be so daggum stubborn and refuse to adapt to the longer runs?

Time on your feet is what's important. Don't stress about it being week 1 or week 2 and it doesn't matter if you have to slow down and walk occasionally when you're supposed to be running. Your body will adapt to the conditions you're continually putting it through. Just keep going. The more time you can be on your feet walking/running the easier this will become.

I have some runs where my legs feel sluggish and others when I feel like I need to reign them in as if they had unlimited energy. It's normal to have an off week or two. Just be consistent and keep at it.
  • mandygivens
    Options
    I do some dynamic stretching before I start and I stretch after. I did go to a runner's store and get fitted and get a new pair of running shoes before I started the program. My running shoes from a few years ago weren't cutting it. I have ran before. It might have only been a little over a mile, but I KNOW I can do this. I never did the C25K though and before when I worked myself up to the mile, my legs never felt like this. But okay, if I just need to repeat and repeat. I guess I will go with it. As frustrating as it is. I will just stay on Week 5 Day 1 until I can get through without the burn.

I just don't get how it isn't AS hard the first day I run it (weeks 3&4 were like that) and then it gets progressively harder through the week doing the same thing.
  • mandygivens
    Options
    My problem is- how come this isn't getting any easier? Why is this getting MORE difficult to get through these runs for me? I repeat these weeks and I feel like it is the first time EVERY time. Is it normal for your legs to be so daggum stubborn and refuse to adapt to the longer runs?

Time on your feet is what's important. Don't stress about it being week 1 or week 2 and it doesn't matter if you have to slow down and walk occasionally when you're supposed to be running. Your body will adapt to the conditions you're continually putting it through. Just keep going. The more time you can be on your feet walking/running the easier this will become.

I have some runs where my legs feel sluggish and others when I feel like I need to reign them in as if they had unlimited energy. It's normal to have an off week or two. Just be consistent and keep at it.

Thank you. That makes me feel better- not so alone, lol. And I know about the unlimited energy too- that was how I felt when I moved on to week 4. Felt like I could run FOREVER that last day of week 3.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I just don't get how it isn't AS hard the first day I run it (weeks 3&4 were like that) and then it gets progressively harder through the week doing the same thing.

Perfectly normal. Today's run was nice and fun since I'd had a couple days off but I can already tell that my hamstrings and calves are going to be a bit sore tomorrow. It's going to be more work to do the same thing tomorrow so I'll probably drop the pace a tad slower and cut back on the distance a bit.