How do you squat???

Options
I started a squat challenge last week, i was wondering if i was doing it right! Whats the best form for the best results? how low should i go? what should i do with my arms? slanted back or straight back?? thanks ;-)

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What kind of squat? Front, back, low or high bar?
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    my trainer makes me go damn near to the floor. Have you ever seen a baby or toddler squat down to pick up a toy? That is the perfect squat!! Put all of your weight in your heels, not toes. I put my arms out in front of me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I'm 99.999999998% certain that she's referring to "no bar"
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    From your post, I'm assuming you're doing bodyweight squats. Generally, you want to squat down pushing your butt back far enough that your knees don't go past your toes. You want your knees to align with your feet (it is usually best to have your feet slightly greater than shoulder width and the feet pointing out about 30 degrees). Go down to where your upper thigh is parallel with the floor or lower. Your arms can go anywhere (they'll really only be about balance at this point). Your back should be in a neutral position and you should be able to see your chest in the mirror (wear a shirt with a logo and focus on keeping that up in your line of sight).

Once you get good at this form, put a bar on your back and add weight as you go.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    65hOu81.jpg
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Good god. I really missread the thing :embarassed:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Chest up, weight on heels, knees not past toes, drop my booty down and back to a low chair height. Arms are in front, usually somewhat like I'm praying.

I sometimes do other squats - one-leg, sumo, prisoner, sissy, etc., but that is how I do a regular squat.
  • nielsonfam
    nielsonfam Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Great tip about wearing a shirt with a logo and using that as your sight line - love it!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    From your post, I'm assuming you're doing bodyweight squats. Generally, you want to squat down pushing your butt back far enough that your knees don't go past your toes. You want your knees to align with your feet (it is usually best to have your feet slightly greater than shoulder width and the feet pointing out about 30 degrees). Go down to where your upper thigh is parallel with the floor or lower. Your arms can go anywhere (they'll really only be about balance at this point). Your back should be in a neutral position and you should be able to see your chest in the mirror (wear a shirt with a logo and focus on keeping that up in your line of sight).

Once you get good at this form, put a bar on your back and add weight as you go.

PERFECTLY SAID AND EASY TO UNDERSTAND!!! i was thinking to start adding weight soon to!!! i was thinking the 1st 1/2 of my squats ill do at work, 2nd half i was thinking about doing it at home BUT add some weights!!! Thank You :bigsmile:
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    Chest up, weight on heels, knees not past toes, drop my booty down and back to a low chair height. Arms are in front, usually somewhat like I'm praying.

I sometimes do other squats - one-leg, sumo, prisoner, sissy, etc., but that is how I do a regular squat.

oh no they sound dangerous lol!!! but good to know for when i can do 'regular' ones, i can push myself thanks hun!!!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    65hOu81.jpg

lmao love this!!! now everytime i do a squat im going to think of this picture lol
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options
    my trainer makes me go damn near to the floor. Have you ever seen a baby or toddler squat down to pick up a toy? That is the perfect squat!! Put all of your weight in your heels, not toes. I put my arms out in front of me.

oh!! weight to my heels, didnt know that, thanks you !!!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    65hOu81.jpg
    This is excellent! Win.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    Options

your correct!!! for now ;-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    65hOu81.jpg

this is about as perfect form as you can get
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    65hOu81.jpg

I laughed out loud when I saw this. Just as well I work from home. :D
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Check out squat therapy techniques on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z341TYXbKLs

By the way, I could look at that video All. Day. Long.
  • Cathi888
    Cathi888 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hijacking. Sorry.

How many should I do? As many as I can?

Can I hold onto the wall or a post or something for balance?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    squat til you drop!