How much does Sugar really matter?

Options
So I am trying to lose weight and get back down to my weight a few years ago which was about 190. I have tried several times with diet and exercise. The areas that I seem to have the most trouble with my diet is sugar... It is in everything. I do not like artificial sweeteners at all. I don't like the taste. I would rather go with sugar in the raw or agave or something like that. (which if I am using sugar what I usually do).

My question is I have tried several times now increasing exercise and decreasing calorie counts but still maintain the same weight. Could the sugar intake be the reason. For example, Yesterday I was 428 calories under my goal, 36 grams of fat under my goal but 81 grams of sugars over my goal.

I need to figure out what I am doing wrong so I can fix it and do it right. I think my weight and self appearance is starting to affect other areas of my life.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carbohydrate so in one sense it matters as much as the rest of the carbs. Fructose (as in agave syrup and half of white table sugar) metabolises directly in the liver and there are those (Robert Lustig et al) who see this as a particular issue.

If you have insulin resistance (you don't look as if this is very likely) then elevated blood sugars aren't helpful to fat loss.

In terms of MFP the standard setting is a bit silly - see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq and consider changing the target or not tracking it.
  • zsgreenwell
    zsgreenwell Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will check that out.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I come from a Paleo background, so I reduce my sugar and carb intake much more than most people do and I've seen fabulous results :) But obviously everyone doesn't eat the way I do. However, I would definitely try cutting back on the sugars even by 25-50 g and seeing if that makes a difference. I've found that high sugar levels in the diet lead to being hungry faster, so it's easier to overeat. If you increase your healthy fat intake (avocados, nut butters, etc.) while decreasing your sugars, even in moderation, you should notice a difference. Good luck!
  • zsgreenwell
    Options
    Thanks. I will definitely try that, I am going to look at going under the 90 grams as much as possible. I think 30g is a way too low to even be reasonable at this point.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on cutting something out, focus on getting the right nutrition IN.
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I notice when I eat more sweet deserts like the 100 calories packs, I tend to not lose weight. When I focus on more healthier non process foods and increase exercise and water intake. I lose weight.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is your friend, whether you choose to eat added sugar or not. How diligent are you at logging? Do you weigh your food?
  • haraldpost
    Options
    See this presentation by John Lustig about sugar and the obesity epidemic: http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM . 90 grams of sugar every day can't be a good idea. Do you want to cut or not? Stop drinking carbs, no juice, no soda. No more sugary latte's, just black coffee.

Personally I've eliminated sugar from my normal diet, sugar is some thing I have on binge days. I am checking my log now, and several of my BINGE days are 90 g sugar... (300 g of candy.) Many days I eat about 5 g of sugar, if I don't have a banana in my smoothie (which has 17 g sugar). I find that the more sugar I eat, the more I crave.. if I eat candy one day, I'll crave it the next...

If you don't log your food, log it. Don't have a kitchen scale? Buy one. Now start logging. And DO consider cutting carbs in general almost completely (20-30 g per day). ie. the keto diet: http://authoritynutrition.com/how-many-carbs-per-day-to-lose-weight/ .

If you are not weight training, start.... 2 x week I do a fully body workout. (According to my Polar I burn 1300 kcal every 1,5 hour weight lifting, which is a relief so I can eat.) If you start lifting AND going keto, you have a GOOD reason to have "carb refeed" days: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyclical_ketogenic_diet.htm .
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of Sugar you are eating. Fresh fruit is high in the easily digested Sugar unlike the processed Sugar you find in Candy or Pop.
  • zsgreenwell
    Options
    I am logging my stuff as best as I can, I don't weigh my food but I do measure it when possible.
  • Slim2k
    Slim2k Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Google Robert Lustig research, his book bitter truth about sugar is a brilliant read and shows how much sugar and the food industry effects obesity.

Also highlights the issues with diabetes and how there is bo miracle drug.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I am logging my stuff as best as I can, I don't weigh my food but I do measure it when possible.

If that's the case, you need to set your target calories lower, to allow for math errors. That's what I did, since it's highly impractical for me to weigh and measure my food.