Replies

• lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    C25K!!!!!
    Trust it.
    Run it.
    Own it.

It will change your life, one interval run at a time :)

QFT

I was like you, OP. I always said "I'm just not a runner." Well, I am now and am hooked. Seriously, C25k is the best $5 I have spent in a long time.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Why, look here, changing from bad to good is as easy as taking your first step! http://youtu.be/OORsz2d1H7s?t=15s
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    C25K!!!!!
    Trust it.
    Run it.
    Own it.

This. Also, join the C25K group here on MFP for lots of help and support.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Everyone has said it, but I'll say it again. Start slow and have realistic expectations. Running is not always easy. So many external factors can affect your run. Keep going anyway. If you have to walk, it's ok. You have to give your body time to adapt. I use to just go out and run, but by instinct I would walk a bit when I started and I built from there. My first race was a 10 miler in Sept. 2012. I almost died getting across the finish line as I'd only ever run 8 miles before that. I kept building on that. Fast forward to today.......I ran that same 10-mile race plus 2 half marathons and 2 full marathons within 5 weeks.

Go to a running store to get fitted for shoes, get the correct gear, learn about running form, and go. Good luck on your road to becoming a runner!
  • asianmonkie
    Options
    Whoa! Sounds just like me! I have both asthma and scoliosis. I never would have imagined being able to run for longer than 2 minutes but I started off walking. Seriously, just walk every day. Increase the time in which you walk each day. I started walking 15 minutes a day on my lunch break at work, then later I added walking after work for another 15 minutes. Before I knew it, I was walking 2 hours a day!. I got bored of walking and started running. At first, I would run a block, then walk for 5 minutes, then run a block, then walk for 5 minutes. After a few weeks I can run for longer. You get the idea, right? I started in March of this year and now I can run for 5 miles! (Feels weird saying/typing that)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Well, nobody wakes up and just decides they're going to go run a marathon without having properly trained for it. It's like anything else...you build up to it and train properly. Nobody got up off the couch and just busted out a 5K...nothing works that way...everything takes practice.

I don't run anymore, but spent the better part of last year running...I started out walking a few days per week...once I could easily do a brisk walk for 30 - 60 minutes 3 x per week I started a C25K program that has you progress each week until you finally get to your 5K run. It's a good program, but you should establish some kind of aerobic base first and foremost.
  • Reevsie123
    Reevsie123 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was rubbish at running only 10 months ago, I use a treadmill due to dodgy pavements and roads where I live, I did a lot of walking increasing the incline, then I did a bit of jogging in between walking slowly jogging for a bit longer, going from 5mph to 6mph to now I run at 7mph, can't say how I did it it just got easier, I always have a slight incline in an attempt to replicate road running.
    This weekend whilst watching footy on the I-pad I did 10 k in under an hour which is amazing considering where I was at the start of the year, I could have gone a bit quicker and a bit longer, I know it's slow compared to some but I now feel I have gone from being a walker to a jogger to a runner
    Just hang on in there take your time and it will just click into place
    I found my running style has also changed and I actually look balanced now I used to look like a flying daddy long legs and it was the best I could do to stay on the damn treadmill

Good luck
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated if you see those people and think they have been enjoying it a long time. Like everyone else, they started out small and got good enough to be able to enjoy it. C25k is a nice program, I've done a few of the sessions even though I was in cross country and track a few years ago.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started with a couch to 10k program (the intervals were easier to program than c25k :-p) worked my way up to a half marathon, then fell down some stairs, took it easy for a bit and now am back to running 8k every other day.
    I transitioned to minimalist shoes, and I can honestly say I haven't got near as many aches and pains as I used to in 'proper' shoes.

Just do your intervals, keep your speed slow, and repeat sessions as needed. Perseverance is all it takes :happy:
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1052845-fat-smoker-to-triathlete

That's my story. Training myself to run and swim was intensely difficult at times but I really wanted it so I found a way. After smoking for 25 years I didn't just get out of breath, I wanted to puke. Now I can run a 5k in under 22 minutes.

Some people swear by the couch 2 5k plan and it's worked for a lot of people. It didn't work for me so I took another route and still got there. Find your route and do it.
  • ebailey710
    ebailey710 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    When I trained for The Color Run, I was using C25K and I really enjoyed it. I was doing Insanity at the time also, which really helped my stamina and endurance as well as cardio. I quit doing C25K because Insanity was so...well insane...and I was able to run about half of the 5K in intervals and was amazed. I was the girl who would try to fake throwing up to avoid running in high school.
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and I just finished week 2 day 2 off couch 2 5 k. I just take it slow. I have never been a runner, but this app makes it so much easier.
  • nerge
    nerge Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started doing a bit of running over a year ago and then gave up now I'm doing 5ks in 27 mins (yay) and one thing that makes it easier for me is running while watching tv haha you don't notice the time go by as much! The music just didn't work for me....maybe a podcast?
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just put on my running clothes, harness the pup to the waist leash and say "at least I can walk the 4 mi loop". Then, invariably, have to run across the road at 0.5 mi in, and end up running the entire 4 mi loop (not far I know ... )! I always tell myself that I can walk if necessary.

The wind is a huge factor in this part of the country so I often use that as an excuse. My husband blackmails me in to doing the run saying (ever so lovingly and in uber support) : "if you're not feeling up to it today......" !!! and I ALWAYS run it !!

With a dog running partner a waist leash has made my runs SOOOO much easier; I can use both arms and not fatigue. And with a border collie / Australian shepherd / blue heeler ranch mutt.....he is my motivation !!
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that while I was'nt the OP, I DID get a lot of inspiration from the replies here.

I took 3 main things away from the suggestions:
    1) Go slow, like start as a fast walk/job slow.
    2) dont focus on how fast your going, or the time or anything else. Focus on breathing.

Today, for the first time, I ran over half a mile at 3.5mph- basically I could walk fast or very slow jog. Yea, that's not huge but WAY more than I thought I could do.
    I am going back to the gym to try a full mile tonight :D

Thank you to all who replied!!:bigsmile:
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    As with most anything in life, it's all about persistence, persistence, persistence. I started out unable to run for more than 400-500 meters, and completing a 5K (mostly walking, a decent bit of running) in the 45 minute range. That's a terrible time for a 5K, but it was the best I could do.

After a mere year, I routinely do sub-25 minute 5Ks, have done a 10K, and am training for my first half-marathon. I do both HIIT, and run/jog when I need to take it easy a bit lest my shins explode.

It's all about running, running, running. And being persistent, and simply not giving up. You will notice after a month or two that you can now do a mile, two miles... and so on relatively easy.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I started C25k about 7 times over the past 4 years. I started it again August 24 and I finished it. I'm now 5 weeks into the One Hour Runner program. I had runner envy for years. I have asthma, I had knee surgery a year ago. What I did different this time was I went slow during the running portions of C25k and I got good running shoes. These made the World of difference for me.

I started getting bored on my runs as they get longer, I've started listening to podcasts about running while I'm running. It's helped so much.

You can do it!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    When I was a baby, I couldnt run. I couldnt walk. I couldnt stand unaided. I couldnt crawl so I had to be helped.

Moral? Take it in stages and dont expect it to come all good immediately.

4 years ago I couldnt run 100 metres and had a fifteen minute mile pace.

Now I can cover three miles @ 7 minute mile pace and can run 12 miles no problem.

I get injuries but they are all part of the training progress eg IT band issues, achilles issues, DOMs etc.

Run if you can
    Walk if you must
    Crawl if you have to
    Just never give up

^^^^ LOVE THIS!!!

You got some GREAT advice from everyone here :)

I myself could not run very well...was never a runner really
    I started spinning class then I got the urge to start running....
    I actually joined a running club which was great!
    You had the companionship of other runners,
    those that were there to cheer you on, help you and give you advice.
    We trained for a 5K & ya know what?!? at the end of our training period (9 wks.)
    I was able to run most of the race!! :D
    was I able to finish w/a great time?...no.
    did I have fun?...yes!
    did I feel good about myself?....heck yay!

After this race I did another 5K but I ended up injuring my ankle :(
    I did finish the race just took me longer.

I do have asthma along with a knee injury and now ankle injury and I am overweight
    but I am getting the itch to get back into running again...so I have begun
    I just did a 5K color run! I did intervals (run/walk) I didn't push myself and I had a blast!! :D

* find a program you enjoy
    *take one day at a time...one step at a time
    *do not compare yourself or your progress to others....you are doing this for you alone
    *get a good pair of sneakers
    *cross train
    *Believe in yourself
    *Enjoy ;)

Good luck and happy running :D
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    C25K!!!!!
    Trust it.
    Run it.
    Own it.

Where the hell were all you people when I started running. I did all of this by trial and error and found out much much later that there was a sane and easy way to get up to scratch. I didn't even have to start reading to know everybody was going to recommend C25K. Seriously, OP, that's sage advice right there....