What is a meat that doesn't need a lot of salt/seasoning?

Options
teamAmelia
teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member

Replies

• mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    there is none, meat is inherently bland w/the exception of wild game but that too will taste bland if that is all you eat.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    im thinking beef seems i dont have to season it as much as i do other meats like chicken or pork. Fish too
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rib-eye steak
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Many (not all) folks report that simply abstaining from the salt and seasonings for a while makes a person's taste buds better able to appreciate the 'subtleties' of the flavors of meats and other unaltered foods. I know my mother and my sister rarely apply extra seasonings to most of their foods, for example.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Por que?
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    none of them need it but if wanting some taste then chicken does well with just a few drops of lemon, beef is slow cooked needs nothing and other meats can be cooked in a healthy gravy to add taste.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    IME, saltwater fish/shellfish already has some salt in it, so needs less additional seasoning than most meat/fish. I can enjoy baked salmon straight up, for instance.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Fish. Especially salmon. For meat you might also consider using fresh herbs rather than salt. Oregano, thyme, and sage can add a lot of flavor. For fish try lemon and chives.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    rib-eye steak

Concur.

Two important factors here: fat content and how long you cook the meat. More fat generally means more flavor and less need for seasoning. If you start with little fat or if you cook the meat till all the fat is gone, you're going to need more seasoning.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Many (not all) folks report that simply abstaining from the salt and seasonings for a while makes a person's taste buds better able to appreciate the 'subtleties' of the flavors of meats and other unaltered foods. I know my mother and my sister rarely apply extra seasonings to most of their foods, for example.

This. Most of our food has its palatability so amped up through specific combinations of fat, salt, and sugar, and flavoring concoctions, that a lot of people have basically lost the taste of foods on their own. Abstain from that stuff for a while, and you'll retrain your taste to be able to taste foods in their natural state and won't require as much seasoning.

Also, fattier cuts will generally yield more flavors by themselves. So dark meat poultry cooked with skin on, for example, won't need as much seasoning as skinless breast meat, for example. Likewise, a cut of beef with good marbling will have more flavor than one that's more lean.

Personally, I really like a marinade that my husband concocted for my sirloin steaks. It's simply vinegar and a little olive oil, some chopped onion, and a little salt/pepper, and it's primary purpose is to tenderize the meat, help sear the outside, and bring out its natural flavors.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    maybe I'm weird but I like to eat most kinds of meat without seasoning, and I don't find them flavourless. Even chicken breast, which doesn't have much flavour, I can still enjoy eating it without seasoning.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    rib-eye steak

Concur.

Two important factors here: fat content and how long you cook the meat. More fat generally means more flavor and less need for seasoning. If you start with little fat or if you cook the meat till all the fat is gone, you're going to need more seasoning.

RE: salting

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    ^^^^---- 100% Correct.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    maybe I'm weird but I like to eat most kinds of meat without seasoning, and I don't find them flavourless. Even chicken breast, which doesn't have much flavour, I can still enjoy eating it without seasoning.

yeah, that's weird...

that-is-weird.gif

I can eat a variety of "meats" without much seasoning but chicken breast aint one 'em...
  • mingecrackers
    Options
    Venison. It's got quite a distinctive flavour and doesn't really need anything adding to it
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Quorn and Tofu
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

A lot of salt and seasoning is how much exactly to you? 6g of salt is too much for some people and not enough for others. Seasonings are really negligible calorie-wise, so is this a health or taste issue? A palate consideration?

Most meats(Pork, Beef, Lamb etc) do not require too much of either. Meat substitutes in Poultry and Fish require very little salt/seasonings ~ too much of either one can alter the flavour profile.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bald eagle and seagull
  • motofairy
    motofairy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a salty punch, it's been asserted that lime juice (maybe also lemon, but lime works best for me) sets off the same receptors in our taste buds that salt does, so you might try adding lime juice to marinades or sauces to punch them up a little.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Try adding garlic and herbs instead of salt. No meat NEEDS salt.