Gear for winter running

Options
Hello everyone. I just finished up my 3rd round of Insanity and now I'm wanting to start preparing myself for the Spartan in the spring. Part of this training I'm wanting to do some outdoor trail running. Treadmills are boring so outdoors works best for me. The problem I'm having with this is that it is getting colder.

I'm wondering if anyone could give some good advice on some cold weather gear/clothing to wear for the winter months? I live in Indiana so in can get quite cold and windy on some evenings. So far it hasn't been too bad with just a regular hoodie on but I'm looking for something to keep my lower body a little warmer.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Under Armour.. has great cold weather pants! I also got a running cap from them that lets your pony tail go through it.. stop by ****s sporting goods and get some gloves.. I have heard of people wearing a ninja black mask when running when its super cold.. I am in NC so it does not get THAT cold here.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    In winter I wear: compression tights, tank, long sleeve, jacket, hat, and gloves/mittens.

ETA: I live in Connecticut and it's pretty friggin cold here
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill! :)

Seriously though, I have some Nike Performance long sleeve compression shirts, they are fantastic.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    At the moment I just add layers - its about 6 degrees Celsius when i run. I have gone into long running tights with a long sleeve top and light jacket. I have also got some clothes but find i get too warm.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC and it gets cold here. I have tons of Under Armour cold gear. Their running tights are pretty awesome for cold runs. For when it's really cold I have a great Northface running jacket to break the wind. Definitely get a good hat and invest in gloves.
  • Glasspack
    Glasspack Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A few things I found helpful are:
    Layering - if you get too hot you can start to peel layers off easier than just wearing 1 layer
    I'm a big fan of the Under Armour Cold Gear I live in PA and may not have as much cold and snow but as a middle layer it's worked well for me
    Running tights under wind resistant sweat pants. I'm not a guy who'll wear just the tights but again they provide a nice base layer for your legs
    Yak Trax, these are kind of like snow tires for your sneakers
    hat and gloves of course
    Face guard, I've got one that is neoprene and is great for really cold windy days

I think though the biggest advice is that no matter how well prepared you are there are some days where running outside is counter productive, so there may be some times where a treadmill or other option will be safer.

There are 2 final things that I always take with me no matter the weather, my phone and my Road ID

Good luck training and in running the Spartan in 2014
  • jwiley78
    jwiley78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for all the advice so far. I think I'm going to look into buying some compression pants (maybe wear shorts over them for another layer), shirt, and a wind breaker.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Base layer, warmth layer, & wind blocking outer layer. Compression tight....especially those designed for cold weather rock. Something to keep your ears warm (mine get sooooo cold) and some gloves. I get cheap gloves at Target because I always end up wiping my runny nose with them and need a pair for every run day. (Yuck!) And, if you're running in dim light, consider some sort reflective or illuminating device.

:-)
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas.

I'm investigating different reflective devices since running at 6 am or 5:30 pm, it is pitch dark and most of my clothing is black and not reflective. Do you prefer getting a vest or using the reflective tape or other options? Just curious about what would work best.
    Thanks!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas.

I'm investigating different reflective devices since running at 6 am or 5:30 pm, it is pitch dark and most of my clothing is black and not reflective. Do you prefer getting a vest or using the reflective tape or other options? Just curious about what would work best.
    Thanks!

My running jackets have 360° reflective stripes, I also run with a headlamp on (you'd be surprised how many motorists still can't see me) and a blinking red LED showing to the rear.

To the OP....if you're looking for the best base layer possible for really cold weather check out merino wool products - mine do double duty, running in the winter and thermal protection under my drysuit when cold water diving.
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have an OR (Outdoor Research) Wind Stopper ear band. THE single best thing my husband has every gotten me!!! I use it both running and cross-country skiing.

Why are compression pants good in the cold? Pardon my ignorance here :/ I usually just wear long johns under wind pants.