Recipe and grocery shopping on a budget

Options
TracyJo93
TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
Hey y'all! My boyfriend and I recently purchased our first home and I'm getting ready to go grocery shopping. This may seem like a simple task, but I'm having a hard time finding budget friendly recipes that are still healthy. I'm trying to actually write out a menu and grocery list. I figure it will make budgeting a little easier.

I'm a full time student and I work as well so I'm not looking for anything too complex. Any recipe suggestions or tips would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Store brand items are your best friends :P Try shopping at Aldi's, the quality of the fruits and produce can't be beat. I just don't buy meat from there.

I also keep my freezer stocked with frozen veggies (no sauces) and frozen fruit. The veggies are great for quick side dishes to round out a meal.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I have never heard of Aldi's. We don't have one in my city. I bet frozen veggies would be great for stir fry. Thanks!

Also, the Budget Bytes website was helpful!
  • mingecrackers
    Options
    Stir fry is always a good bet :) some 20p noodles and seasonal veg - you're sorted
  • carstanger
    carstanger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Some good sites! Thanks!
  • ilizzyd
    ilizzyd Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    3 day chicken. Buy a whole chicken roast and eat with mashed potatoes and gravy the first day. Second day tear up meat put in with chili beans and eat as a burrito topping with cheese and whatever else you may like. Third day all leftover meat and carcass boil and make chicken noodle soup.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    We usually buy fish and chicken in bulk from Sam's Club or Costco. We do that once a month and freeze it until we need it. Weekly we figure out what we can make (generally it's a protein and a veggie) and we buy what we need for the week. We generally get frozen veggies (big bags of broccoli). It sounds boring, but it's cheap and you can make different things with different spices. Use a crockpot with some chicken and some buffalo sauce and you have buffalo chicken. Chili is always cheap to make.
  • k8mcminn
    k8mcminn Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Make a list and shop the store sales. Buy meats while on sale and freezer dinner size portions.
  • gojodster
    gojodster Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    go generic, Price match if you can. I know nobody likes Wal-Mart but honestly I save a lot of money and time price matching with them. Stock up on Meat, Pantry Items like beans, canned meat, and frozen veggies (in the winter time its a lot cheaper then trying to get fresh and you have more nutrients than the canned) when its on sale.

as far as recipes go I go simple, put some chicken and frozen veggies in a container and microwave at work. Use your grill, if you don't have one get a Gorge Forman or other brand, not only does it cut the fat but you can put everything on it!

I spend $40 a month on groceries for one person if that helps. :)
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    For fresh produce you can't beat Co-Ops. Check out www.BountifulBaskets.com. For $15.00 you get about $50.00 worth of fresh produce (whatever is in season in your area). You could always split it with a neighbor or co-worker/student if you can't use all of it. Also, it gives you the opportunity to try things you wouldn't normally buy because you don't want to waste money on something you don't know if you will like. Check it out, they are all over the US.