Working out before breakfast? Working out twice a day?

2»

Replies

• flywithabowtie
    flywithabowtie Posts: 71 Member
    I like to do my cardio workouts in the morning prior to breakfast, have a protein shake after my cardio then eat some oatmeal & fruit a couple hrs later. Then if my schedule works out, I try to throw in a strength workout after work.
  • Im never up early enough to work out before breakfast lol, not a morning person, but I do tend to do something like a run around 10 ish and then in the afternoon I do some more exercise like ride my horses so not doing two gym type sessions or two runs but I am exercising twice a day
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    I havent been up here long - I workout in the morning 6am on an empty stomach siping on water during workout. Breakfast after. Works for me!

Only working out once a day at the moment but hoping to pick up walking too in the evenings......Best of Luck to you :)
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    I EAT BREAKFAST THEN EXERCISE

sometimes i work out 2x a day!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    I say if you can do it, fine. I can't, I have to eat breakfast and have my coffee. I wait almost an hour before I work out though. I usually eat dinner at 6pm and that is the last of the food I have for the day. I am just not a night eater. I like to sleep on an empty stomach, I sleep better and wake up feeling better. By the time I get up and get weighed, 13-14 hours have passed since I have eaten, so I need some fuel, if I am going to do a hard workout. Besides, the coffee gives me an energy boost. I have a home gym, so I work out 2-3 times a day. I have 4 cardio machines, so I usually take a break in between machines. The weights, I have a break in between upper and lower body. In February when I first started to lose weight, I weighed 165, now I weigh 143, so I have lost 22lbs in 2 months and 1 week and I am old with slow metabolism. Though it is getting better.
  • kelly_lake
    kelly_lake Posts: 25 Member
    I work out first thing in the morning, before 7am although a bit later at weekends. It's the only time I can fit it in, as once the family wakes up and the breakfast/schoolrun/work/home/dinner/bath/bed/COLLAPSE routine of the day begins there's no hope!

So I work out early, then have either a bowl of porridge (made with almond milk) with berries and honey, or natural yoghurt with berries and handful of granola. On the rare occasions when I have eaten first, I have felt very sluggish and found the workout much harder going. I don't know about what's more effective in terms of weight loss, I just know it's what works for me.

With regards to working out twice a day, it's an occasional thing for me, and I've only ever added a second workout in when I've felt really energised and like I WANT to do more. There's no point overworking yourself and wearing yourself out. In the long run it's just going to be counterproductive.
  • It is good to work out in the morning specially if you not yet eat.In Finland country many people are going to run and some are going into gym at http://www.foreverclub.fi/ and the benefits of it is really something awesome because you can really reach your goal if you continue doing it.
  • wendalyse
    wendalyse Posts: 58 Member
    Hi JC. I joined a gym 8 years ago and have been going to 6am classes about 4 times a week ever since. It works best for me because there are no excuses. When the alarm goes off, I hit snooze once and then I throw on my clothes and drive to the gym. The key for me is to have everything ready the night before. Everything. That means my gym clothes have to be out, my bag with my cosmetics and work clothes has to be packed, as does my breakfast, lunch and snacks . I work out on an empty stomach because if I have anything in it I might puke from the exertion. (spin classes) There have been times though when I have felt nauseous because I need to eat, and if that happens I have a bit of my smoothie that I take with me, or part of a banana. As far as working out twice a day, well, there are other things to do in life.If something comes up like going for a walk or a bike ride, or going dancing or whatever, I'll do that, but otherwise, why go back to the gym. I'd get sick of it and besides, I don't really want to have another shower and have to do my makeup all over again. Really though, find out what works best for you. One thing I can tell you is that I never get up joyfully to go to the gym. 5:30 feels way too early every single morning, so it comes down to self discipline. But it gets better as soon as you're out of bed and I love that when I get there I see the same other crazy morning people I've come to know over the years. And, I feel great all day.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    I walk to work and back each day ( 25 mins each way, bit of hills and incline involved) . I have gotten up and done a short fitnessblender workout, felt ok but i hate mornings lol. I rather w/o after work. Walk the dogs then do some other FB workout, a hiit one usually.
  • PrittyPiton
    PrittyPiton Posts: 25 Member
    I mainly don't eat anything about hour before workout, because then it's easier and healthier to exercise. I also don't eat anything hour after workout - you know - then your body continues to burn fat. That's why I often eat breakfast at work.
  • beadalicious
    beadalicious Posts: 34 Member
    I love working out in the morning, but I have to be at work early, so in order to get a descent workout I have to get up 3:30-4:00. I did it all last summer but it's pretty draining, can't get motivated anymore. I've been sticking with after work and it's been ok, thinking maybe once it's light out at 5 i can add a walk with the dog for 30 min before work.
  • Exercise before breakfast is the best way out when it comes to weight loss.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    I wake up at 6am ish with the kids then sort them out and do 30-60mins cardio from fitness blender then maybe 40 mins kettlebell in the afternoon/evening. I find I get bored if I dont workout during the day and I go at it better knowing I have a nice breakfast waiting afterwards. I dont really eat before 11am so Im fine to workout. I jsut dont get hungry til then
  • I don't eat before working out. It makes me nauseous, all that running & jumping around with food sloshing in my belly. And, eating after exercise gives me something to look forward to! :wink:

^^THIS ....that after the workout meal is soooo good !! LOL
  • Nmt100
    Nmt100 Posts: 36 Member
    I don't function without food and therefore have to eat before I cycle to work. As for working out twice a day. I cycle to and from work. I also do strength training 3 times a week using the work gym when I get there and run twice during the week when I get home after my cycle.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Back when I was working out before breakfast...I lost the most weight....that actually got me to where I'm at now...since jobs changed...I havent been able to work out in the morning before work...and yes, seems like I've hit a plateau of sorts...I feel more muscles popping up lol....but don't feel like I'm getting thinner :X

So....I'd say go with it...just don't overdo it...if you start to get a headache, blurred vision, etc....obviously stop and go grab something to eat....
  • ashleywingo7
    ashleywingo7 Posts: 18 Member
    I have never been able to workout on an empty stomach, it makes me sick. I have always ate a small snack, usually half of a banana, before my workout and ate an actual breakfast about an hour after my workout. I haven't had any problems losing weight this way.
    As for working out once or twice a day, pre-pregnancy I worked out 2-3 times daily. 30 minutes every morning, 45-60 minutes in the afternoon/evening and occasionally I would do 60-90 minutes at night. The length of time varied depending on the workout I had scheduled.
    I'm just starting my workouts back up after a baby so I'm at one scheduled workout daily and hope to be up to my previous routine soon. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    attachment.php?attachmentid=244842&stc=1&d=1367655835