Calories v. eating clean

Options
What do you think is a better approach for weight loss?

Meticulously counting your calories or eating clean? i.e. nothing processed, ingredients you can pronounce

I have been thinking about eating clean but not sure if that is really going to matter because a calorie is a calorie right? Or no? And if you eat clean does that mean no red meat? Thoughts? Thanks

Replies

• cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie but I think weight loss has to do with more than just a calorie defecit........... i think macronutrients matter, at least they did for me. Eating clean is obviously much better for you, in my opinion eating clean would mean making everything yourself nothing prepackaged. So you would still be able to eat red meat. I think you should count calories AND try to eat clean for best results. I have said Im going to clean up my diet various times, then the prepackaged cheaper foods end up winning. Good luck.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I think they both have great importance when trying to lose weight or be healthy. I try to eliminate most processed foods but i'm not perfect all the time. :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    What do you think is a better approach for weight loss?

Meticulously counting your calories or eating clean? i.e. nothing processed, ingredients you can pronounce

I have been thinking about eating clean but not sure if that is really going to matter because a calorie is a calorie right? Or no? And if you eat clean does that mean no red meat? Thoughts? Thanks

They are not mutually exclusive.

In the context of weight loss, energy balance will be the primary driver, not some poorly defined labeling system. That being said, making an effort to consume food from natural sources and at least limiting your processed food intake so that it's not the bulk of your diet, would probably be a good idea just from a nutrient density standpoint.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • nicolettexiv
    nicolettexiv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Both. Calories in/Calories out is always going to impact weight loss. Eating "real" unprocessed foods gives you better nutritional content for caloric value, and will likely reduce the amount you consume as you'll be getting proper levels of fiber, protein, etc. as opposed to fillers which can actually leave you feeling hungry, sooner.

Clean eating reduces the amount of red meat one eats, but it doesn't eliminate it. It does, however suggest avoiding processed meats, like ham, sausage, bacon, hot dogs, etc. as they're not only loaded with artificial flavorings, preservatives, sodium, etc, but studies have linked them to an increased risk of premature death through cancer (pancreatic) and heart disease. Said studies suggest limiting processed meats and red meats to 20g-70g/day.

I think the whole principle is, as always, a lifestyle. Meaning that, if you crave a processed or refined food, indulge on occasion, in moderation, but don't include it as a regular feature of your diet.

Personally, I'm not a strict adherent, but I have found repeatedly that I tend to consume fewer calories when eating clean foods (whole grain, brown rice, vegetables, fruits, and lean, unprocessed meats) and thus lose weight without really putting much effort into it. When I've eaten an increased amount of processed foods, I put more weight on and actually have to try to lose weight.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it doesn't matter. You can overeat and gain on "clean" foods too.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Eating clean means nothing. Everything is "processed" to an extent, and you can make yourself crazy worrying about it. Everyone has a different definition for it, and by that token it pretty much means it is inexact, wishy-washy, and unnecessary. Calories are scientific and mathematical units of measuring energy, and can be very precisely logged and measured. You can eat as "clean" as you want, but if you are eating too many calories you will still gain weight. Whereas if you eat at a calorie deficit, you can still fit in delicious treats and not have to deprive yourself of favorite foods, and not ever have to worry about weight gain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    "clean" food still has calories...you can eat "clean" and still eat at a surplus of calories. Weight control is 5th grad math...nothing more, nothing less...you eat less than you need to maintain and you lose weight...you have an energy balance and you maintain...you eat more than you need to maintain, you gain.

For health and proper nutrition I'd recommend eating a balanced diet that is rich in nutrient dense whole foods while not depriving yourself of jelly beans or whatever "treat" floats your boat.
  • ktothet15
    ktothet15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs without calorie counting and restricting the amount of times I would weigh myself. This was achieved through eating very clean, whole foods. It can be done!

I do use MFP now to help me maintain my current weight and count calories to an extent, but I am more focused on my protein vs. fat consumption.

They do say abs are made in the kitchen, I have to agree there!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" is just another fad that people use to make themselves feel superior and like another poster said "everything is processed" You just have to worry about burning more calories than you consume and you will lose weight.
  • jess17587
    Options
    For weight loss it doesn't matter. You can overeat and gain on "clean" foods too.
    i agree
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it really does come down to calories. You can eat "clean" foods all day long, but if you consume more than your body needs, you will still gain weight.
    From a nutritional standpoint, it's always good to go for whole or "clean" foods because they tend to be more nutrient dense and provide your body with the macro/micro-nutrients it needs. But if you aim to eat a moderate, balanced diet, you can still afford to eat some "junk" while reaching your fitness goals. :smile:
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs without calorie counting and restricting the amount of times I would weigh myself. This was achieved through eating very clean, whole foods. It can be done!

I do use MFP now to help me maintain my current weight and count calories to an extent, but I am more focused on my protein vs. fat consumption.

They do say abs are made in the kitchen, I have to agree there!

You might not have been counting calories, but if you lost weight, you were eating fewer calories than you used. It's true that eating these types of foods vs junk foods makes it a lot easier to stay under your limit without counting, but if you go over you're still going to gain weight just as if it you were eating snickers bars.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    What realistic for you ... "eating clean" is all well and good but it takes a lot of meal planning a lot of precooking, and portioning if you really want to eat clean, but like Alongcame_molly said, eating clean is kind of myth. Because unless you grow all your own vegetables, slaughter your own meat, and have your own chickens for eggs your not going to avoid some processed food. But making healthy choices is for sure a good idea.
    As far as a calorie being a calorie, yes scientifically a calorie is a calories at what ever magical jewel value they place on it or whatever... but you cant tell me that if you eat 2000 calories of doughnuts a day your body is going to function properly and be happy with you. Its about finding a happy balance that works for you.
    For me i can eat the same thing everyday (not so much in the last week i was on vacation :)) but it doesn't bother me to cook on Sunday and portion out food and snacks for the whole week. If you cant do that or that is going to be difficult then i say go for counting calories, because again "clean eating" is just a fancy term for alot of work and food prepping.
    Good luck.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    You can easily gain weight by eating too much coconut oil, which is somehow considered "clean" by most definitions despite being pretty heavily altered.

"Clean" foods tend to be lower in calorie anyway and can be used to create a caloric deficit with minimal counting, but you pretty much have to make a decision: do you want to spend your time counting the calories of the foods you like, or save time by eating only specific things for the rest of your life? No one can make that call but you.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    A combination of both is best. I'm not one to preach about chemicals in food, but they are there in processed things. I don't recommend buying fast food too often, but if you have a Smart Ones or a Lean Cuisine for dinner, whatever, you know? I think it's ultimately better (healthier and cheaper) to buy fresh foods and also whole grains in bulk, but sometimes we just don't have the time to deal with that stuff, you know? But definitely try to stay within your calories as well. That's also important.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Simple weight loss is about calories, clean or otherwise. Regardless of the source/type of calorie, too many = weight gain.

For most people, simply focusing on calories will be less restrictive, and thus have better chances of working long term. The more you restrict (be it total calories, types of food, etc), the harder it is to sustain. This is why I think everyone should start with a simple approach - focus on a reasonable calorie intake, keep a reasonable balanced diet, and get some exercise - when trying to lose weight. Once they master the basics, if they want to focus on other goals/dietary preferences, then so be it. But start with the basics.

As for what "clean" eating means... it means something different to different people. Basically it's come to mean "eating in a way that fits with their dietary goals." The very general meaning is to avoid prepared, prepackaged, and processed foods.

• HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    "Eating clean means nothing.". maybe in terms of weight loss. maybe. but in terms of health and how you feel, it is extremely important, and if you feel like crap, you're not going to have the strength or desire to keep going. just my two cents. and let's face it, are you really going to look and feel good on a diet of Twinkies and diet Coke?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    "Eating clean means nothing.". maybe in terms of weight loss. maybe. but in terms of health and how you feel, it is extremely important, and if you feel like crap, you're not going to have the strength or desire to keep going. just my two cents. and let's face it, are you really going to look and feel good on a diet of Twinkies and diet Coke?

The only place diets like that really exist is in ridiculous internet conversations like this one. No one is advocating anything like that. Most people just want to be able to have a burger or pizza or ice cream as part of their diet. No one is living on twinkies.

I hate statements like that. Way to take it to such an extreme that it's no longer applicable to the conversation.

Furthermore, the OP specifically asked about weight loss. How someone feels any any given diet is highly variable. But a calorie deficit is pretty much universal.

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, calories in vs calories out. If you want to feel better, clean eating...you can still over eat on fruit and lean meats.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    For health reasons I think it's good to do both. But honestly, I've always eaten "clean." I make most of my food from scratch with low or no processed ingredients. That didn't stop me from putting on some extra pounds over the years. Even if you are eating high quality foods, you still need to watch your portions. Clean food has calories, too! :laugh: I believe it's fine to eat "dirty" once in awhile, too, as long as most of what you eat is high quality, nutritious food and you stay within calories, you should be fine.