Lifting and Clean Eating for Children?

Options
When is a good time to introduce lifting and clean eating to a child? What is optimal for maximum muscle gains with minimal fat gains?? The dirty store bought cows milk is bad for adults but is it horrible for children as well?

I tried to get my daughter a gym membership but the gym I go to say no persons under 12 allowed. Kids don't just become professional athletes on their own you have to make them into one. I think i'll focus on soccer and softball, since basketball might be a little too butchy and all?? Suggestions?

Anyone?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Oh, the water fast guy.
    I see you must be bored today.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Forcing clean eating on a kid for gainez? Forcing them to be an athlete? Are you serious?
  • angelasfree1
    angelasfree1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You have got to be kidding. Unbelievable.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    wow, are you trying to live vicariously through your children or what?
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Forcing clean eating on a kid for gainez? Forcing them to be an athlete? Are you serious?

who said anything about forcing? She's showing interest and I'm just trying to make her the best that she can possibly be. Relax bro...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You really should talk with a doctor when it comes to lifting. Do NOT calorie restrict your children though as you want them to grow and not have issues. If you do the clean eating thing, thats fine because parents do the same thing with Vegan/Veggie, etc.. lifestyle. But getting adequate nutrients is critical to growth. Besides, if kids want to be athletes, eating is critical for gains.

Also, there is no reason not to eat dirty. There is no advantage to eating clean or not drinking cows milk. Also, there is nothing you can do to prevent fat growth along with muscle growth. Men will tend to be more lean than women and women need fat to protect their reproductive organs.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    From an efficacy and safety standpoint, kids as young as 7 and 8 can begin strength training provided that they show interest and are mature enough to follow instructions and perform the activities properly and safely. Since the late 90s, there have been a number of studies that support the above which you can check out.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445252/
    http://www.udel.edu/PT/PT Clinical Services/journalclub/sojc/03_04/Jan04/lillegard.pdf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10875292

First, you should get her doctor's approval before introducing any kind of strength training.

Secondly, it's advisable that you seek a professional coach or trainer who has experience designing strength training programs for children. I know many gyms have a blanket statement and do not allow kids under 12 in their facilities outside of daycare, but there are a few kids gyms around that do and specialize in exercise for children. As mentioned in the writeup below, a child's fitness program doesn't have to be a "watered down" version of an adults, but it still has to be appropriate for the child's size and maturity and fitness level.

The Mayo clinic has some helpful information which you can read here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strength-training/HQ01010/NSECTIONGROUP=2
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    If your child isn't squatting 380 by the time they enter kindergarten, you've failed. Look into some good trade schools.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I've seen stuff for cross for for kids. You should look into that. I've seen brightly colored weights and stuff for them.
  • mistertug
    Options
    when is a good age to introduce my infant to the pro-ana lifestyle
  • MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    When is a good time to introduce lifting and clean eating to a child? What is optimal for maximum muscle gains with minimal fat gains?? The dirty store bought cows milk is bad for adults but is it horrible for children as well?

I tried to get my daughter a gym membership but the gym I go to say no persons under 12 allowed. Kids don't just become professional athletes on their own you have to make them into one. I think i'll focus on soccer and softball, since basketball might be a little too butchy and all?? Suggestions?

Anyone?

Under 12? The gym where I work won't allow anyone under 16 in the cardio or weight room unless they complete a "teen weight training course", and kids still have to be at least 13 to do the course.

After reading your post, I'm very very glad we have that policy. Else we'd have nutjob parents like you swarming the place torturing their poor children.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The water fast was better.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Richard Sandrek that child of yours.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of the guy who was arrested for tasering his girlfriend's infant repeatedly . He was "training" the baby to be a cage fighter.

That extreme example aside...by "dirty" store milk I assume that buying organic store bought whole milk will solve your concerns?

Children need the fats in whole milk for brain development-no matter what the govt geniuses are claiming these days. (dumbest recommendation ever-because idiots feed their kids SUGARED drinks the fed govt has declared whole milk the cause of obesity and youll see schools and daycares feeding garbage lowfat milk to children who need those healthy fats the most)

Under twelve. I suppose no age is too early to instill a lifetime of body issues for girls these days. Which is what will happen. No matter what your intentions are.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why one would wait to introduce children to clean eating. If that is how you choose to eat, then why would teach your child differently? As long as it's nutritious, just feed them however you choose.

As for lifting, progressively heavy lifting to failure is probably a bad idea before puberty. Children simply do not develop muscles like adults. This is likely why the age 12 limit at your gym. But lights weights are fine as long as the child enjoys it. Play and sports are enough for younger children.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Why a gym don't you have a park with a playground? Climbing through the monkey bars and other playground equipment was a main source of exercise for my kids as well as soccer. The main thing is to make it fun.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    This one isn't nearly as entertaining as the water fast post. In for the .gifs.
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options

2dag4dx.jpg
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm glad a cpl remembered that post since it was only up for less than 30 mins and 6 pages later it was deleted becuase too many people reported it as abuse? lol i didn't abuse anyone. Haters gon hate i guess