How long can you PLANK for?

Options
Hello! I have been trying to focus on strengthening my core. I've started planking every other day (or so), about a month ago. I'm up to 2 sets of one minute and 15 seconds. My question is: How long can you Plank for? What's considered an average length of time? Can you Plank every day? Any additional recommendations while planking?

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    2-3 minutes.

The longest I ever planked for was a little over 7 minutes. There was a contest going on at the fitness center where I worked. I won. :glasses:
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Oh I basically suck.

Currently wide leg stance for one minute.
  • mingecrackers
    Options
    Keep your back straight. If you're having trouble to start off with, try doing it with your feet against a hard surface until you are strong enough to do it without ^_^
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm doing 3 sets of 90 secs... the longest I've held it is 3 minutes.
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    50 seconds...
  • edixon908
    edixon908 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    About the same as u, alittle more than 2 minutes (on a good day).
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I haven't timed it for a really long time, so I'm not sure.

If you're looking for more of a challenge, try putting your feet on a ball (one of those big exercise balls). If it's under your knees, it won't do much, but if you have just your toes on it, it can become quite challenging.

:smile:
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Do you do the side ones, also? I really hate those.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    The last time I planked, I collapsed at 30 seconds. But in the past, I've gotten up to 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. My core needs some work.

I don't see why you can't plank every day unless you are terribly sore, then I'd let your muscles rest for a day or two.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I prefer side planks for some reason.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Oh that's a good idea. I've just started so I want to master the basic plank and start adding to them :)
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options

WORD! Hate those suckers.
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I finally made it to 45 seconds last night. Killed me! I think my trainer is cheating.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    3 sets of 2 minutes each while feet are elevated on the bench and arms are elevated on a Swiss ball. Killer!

Edit: I do this every other day.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    3 sets for two min. ea. 3-4 times a week.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm so pathetic...I don't even think I can hold for 20 seconds :sad: My core strength has always been terrible however and resulted in some bad back problems. :frown:

For those who clearly rock at planking, do you just gradually build up to it by doing it day after day, or is there more to it than that? (I know, probably a stupid question).
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Just started a couple of weeks ago, 3 sets of 25 seconds. :sad:
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The longest I have ever held it for was 1 minute and 34 seconds.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The longest I've done is 2 min. I'm sure I could do a little longer if there were some type of prize involved. And could probably last longer straight arm than on elbows. But I rarely hold it past 60 sec because I think planks may be the most boring exercise in the history of exercise.

ETA: I can't do side planks as long as regular. I think my record for side is 90 sec.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    1min 35 secs x 2 w/ a 45lb plate on my back, 3 times a week... Longest I've ever held that was almost 2.5 mins. Thought I was going to DIE.
    Also do side planks w/ 25 lb dumbbell on my side. Crazy to think that it used to be hard to me to do a plain plank for a minute with no weight.