Trying to gain weight in lower body

Options
I have skinny legs and no butt really so I'm trying to get thicker legs, thighs and butt by gaining weight and working out. I want muscle weight, not fat. What should I be doing in the gym to achieve this and what foods should I eat? I've been going to the gym for the past 3 days doing leg and squat work, also some cardio on a treadmill with an incline.

Does anyone have any suggestions so I can attain thick thighs, hips and butt? How intense should my workout be in the gym? What workouts do I do and how many days a week should I go to the gym?

Any advice would be TRULY appreciated!

Replies

• lilsabi93
    lilsabi93 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    BTW I weigh 128 pounds and I'm 5'7
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Squat heavy and deadlift heavy. Those are your major leg and butt exercises.
    When I say heavy, I'm talking warm up and then 5 sets of 3 at your max weight.
    References: I can no longer wear skinny jeans without "hulking" out of them if I sit down.
  • lilsabi93
    lilsabi93 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to google what a deadlift is though.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Options
    Definitely watch a video and read about proper form before you try really heavy lifts, but a deadlift is to lift the barbell from the ground to your waist using your legs, butt and back.

Also, you would probably benefit from reading this article: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm researching the heavy lifting thing too. Can't lie though, I'm afraid of that part of the gym. I really shouldn't be though. Maybe I'll do a set up in my basement instead though.
  • Ian_Stuart
    Options
    I already sent this to lilsabi93, but I'm posting the link for hararayne and anyone else who might wander in here looking for information: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    This is a really great article about lifting heavy as a female. I highly recommend it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dont forget, if you're trying to gain muscle you also need to eat all the food!
  • Ian_Stuart
    Options

YES! This is important and that article talks about it. When lifting heavy, your problem goes from where to cut calories from your diet to how you will manage to eat so much in a day. When you are eating clean foods (not processed junk) getting 3000-4000 calories a day is HARD!

"Right... So today I have to eat 4 chickens. a pound of veggies. 4 cups of rice...."
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

YES! This is important and that article talks about it. When lifting heavy, your problem goes from where to cut calories from your diet to how you will manage to eat so much in a day. When you are eating clean foods (not processed junk) getting 3000-4000 calories a day is HARD!

"Right... So today I have to eat 4 chickens. a pound of veggies. 4 cups of rice...."

peanut butter
  • crb0077
    Options
    I had the same problem.....but I was a skinny fat! Leg Press, Leg extensions, Leg Curls, Glute Bridges, Kickbacks, Lunges, deadlifts and definitely squats!!! My legs aren't big but they are now more shapely and I can't pinch anything and my butt has grown...in a good way! Go for heavy weights too....I'm working on my squat form so can only squat 40kg, I deadlift 90kg, and I can incline legpress 380kg, flat legpress 180kg and I can lift the stack on my leg extensions (about 120kg)!

Oh yes and definitely eat!!!! You'll need to make sure you're getting enough protein too!

If you can, get a trainer to show you the right way to do things, especially squats and deadlifts as form is everything - you don't want to injure yourself!
  • crb0077
    Options
    BTW I only train legs once a week, that is enough for me as I can't walk properly for at least 2 days after!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Squat heavy and deadlift heavy. Those are your major leg and butt exercises.
    When I say heavy, I'm talking warm up and then 5 sets of 3 at your max weight.
    References: I can no longer wear skinny jeans without "hulking" out of them if I sit down.

That's just the beginning, wait until you have yo buy trousers 6" too big in the waist, and then go and get them taken in by a tailor, just so you can have something that will go over you legs and glutes, without having a built in bumbag (fanny pack for my US friends)!
  • Ian_Stuart
    Options
    That's just the beginning, wait until you have yo buy trousers 6" too big in the waist, and then go and get them taken in by a tailor, just so you can have something that will go over you legs and glutes, without having a built in bumbag (fanny pack for my US friends)!
    I'm not quite that far along yet, but my belt has several noticeable lumps of material in it where my waistline bunches up and my upper legs fit just right.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite that far along yet, but my belt has several noticeable lumps of material in it where my waistline bunches up and my upper legs fit just right.

Won't be long!

I actually think it's partly to do with modern fashion catering for little bird legs, as I don't consider my thighs huge, but I obviously have a problem buying trousers. I do wonder what some of the top bodybuilders do, besides get bespoke clothes.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    The only saving grace is that you'll get some pretty great noob gains, but most likely it's VERY hard to gain muscle without fat. You'll always put on a small percentage of fat regardless, which isn't even a bad thing.

As said before dead lifts and squats are probably your best friends, but you really need to get the form and technique down pat. Compound lifts are functional movements that also have neural sensation attributed to the movement... IE: a dead lift isn't just a leg press + a rack pull movement added together. There is a functional pattern your body learns from performing the dead lift than the sum of its parts.

You can always throw in accessory work after your main lifts ie: lunges, hamstring curls, leg extensions, etc. If you're not ready to do full squats or dead lifts you can do variations like kettle bell swings, and dumb bell squats which in some ways are functionally simpler (imo).
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves is a great book you could check out. Great programs designed for exactly what you are looking for.
  • SKINNYFAT2FABULOUS
    Options
    I'm researching the heavy lifting thing too. Can't lie though, I'm afraid of that part of the gym. I really shouldn't be though. Maybe I'll do a set up in my basement instead though.
    I used to never work out but have gotten to really enjoy heavy lifting. I used to go to the gym with my fiance, but now that his hours changed I'm afraid of that part of the gym too. I ended up buying some barbells and plates, made a squat rack and now work out at home and I love it!

Another thing I've recently tried - but never did at the gym for fear people would look at my crazy (even though I shouldn't care) - are glute bridges. You'll definitely need the padding for the barbell but youtube the exercise - I really felt it in my glutes the next day so I'm thinking it works well!!

Hope this helps :)