How do you curb cravings?

Options
I am struggling with craving ice cream. I have traded regular ice cream with yogurt ice cream. But I still crave it like crazy! I also LOVE cheese. I switched out all my cheeses to cottage cheese.

Between ice cream and cheese, I feel like I'm constantly craving. How do you handle cravings?

Replies

• czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have what I want every day, I just make them fit into my diet. I LOVE "bad for you" foods (pizza, burgers, ice cream, cheese, meat, etc .). But I'm still eating them and I have lost 25 pounds since February. You just have to learn about the serving size and making it fit into your budget. I've also learned how to enjoy leaner version of my favorite foods so that I meet my macros.

If you really crave ice cream and can't stop from eating it, have you ever considered Arctic Zero? A whole pint only has 150 calories. You have to let it soften up a little bit before eating it, but it could satisfy your craving without blowing your budget. It's not quite the same as real ice cream, but it works if you don't have a lot of wiggle room.
  • bob_day
    Options
    Ask yourself what you could be doing besides eating, and that do that.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Eat it in small amounts and workout so I can eat it more.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I keep Kroger ice cream sandwiches in my freezer. .Sure... they aren't as good as Ben & Jerry's or Turkey Hill or Tillamook or Talenti or... you get the point, but they are real ice cream and they are pre-portioned so they make keeping within limits easy (assuming I stop after one). And they are a hell of a lot better than the Arctic Zero crappola. If you want something a little better, try the individual serving cups of ice cream. I know Edy's makes some decent ones, and the Safeway ones a pretty good too.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I had pizza for breakfast, and I'm going to have ice cream after dinner. It's already logged, and my diary is pretty damn near perfect today, except my fats are a little low. I just weigh it and make it fit. I eat reduced fat swiss cheese now. Good macros, and lower in sodium. Nothing wrong with cottage cheese, but I wouldn't put it in my omelet. :wink:

This is a great guide for filling out your diary and still making room for treats.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    If it's late and night, polish your nails. You can't eat when they are wet, and then maybe the craving will pass. You could also write in a journal. If all else fails.. satisfy that craving... just in a mini portion, but make sure to exercise to offset it.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea (or any hot drink, really) when I'm feeling hungry or craving something. A lot of the time, when I think I'm hungry, I'm usually thirsty. Plus, the heat makes me feel full.
  • rrosborne88
    Options
    I have never heard of artic zero. I'm going to try that! I am paying attention to calories and serving sizes. Thanks for all of your help!
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, but crave ice cream. To beat the craving I make a protein smoothie. I use lactose free milk (fortified with calcium) and Pure Protein Whey Protein Frosty Chocolate. It tastes like a milkshake! One half cup of my lactose free milk + one half scoop is 125 calories, 10g carbs, and 16g protein.

Where I live, you can get two flavors, frosty chocolate and vanilla.

Vanilla with frozen berries is yum! You can also add extracts, mint extract, almond extract, lemon extract to change it up.

You could try blending up a smoothie and freezing it, if you need it to be harder like ice cream.
  • impartialbystander
    Options
    I crave-cave a lot, so don't consider me an authority, but I have ideas and would be happy to share a few.

If you've eliminated the trigger foods from your house, and you're likely to jump into a car to go and get your fix, try putting a message in big letters on your steering wheel that says something to discourage you from making the trip. Examples could include, a magazine cutout of a healthy alternative food or meal, or a motivating picture that reminds you of how you do/don't want to feel/look. You could leave yourself a personalized note with a direct message (i.e. "Put down the cheese, fatty!" "Back away from the ice creams!" <=Not calling YOU a fatty, btw, these are a couple of things I've written to myself). Alternatively, you could just have a piece of paper and a pen with you and write those words, or "Don't do it!" or whatever works for you, any time you're ready to crack. Anyway, I love caving to my cravings here and there, but I'm usually like an avalanche. I start with one bowl of ice cream, and then my boyfriend comes home to find me buried in a pile of empty food containers and dirty dishes...

...I'm (mostly) joking of course.

Also, and I know this will sound strange, but I've gone so far as to take whatever I'm craving out of the fridge set it down in front of me, and then put it back. The act of having done that tricks my brain into thinking it got what it wanted. Granted... that idea is a slippery slope, and I generally only resort to this if I find that I've already opened the freezer door.

And thirdly, try eating something that's not what you're craving that is healthy and (although maybe not as cathartic as a pint of Ben and Jerry's) filling. Then drink TONS of water. If I'm good, I use hummus and carrots or lettuce and soy sauce--depending on how many calories I have left for the day. The part of your brain that craves instant gratification may not be thrilled about it, but the other part that recognizes that your belly is really full is more likely to override your impulse to eat a half a pound of cheese.

None of these ideas are fun, but you're trying to get distracted long enough for the cravings to pass. Eventually, your willpower muscles will get stronger, and you probably won't need such deliberate tools to discipline yourself.

I hope that tangent helps in some way!
  • impartialbystander
    Options
    And the award for most long-winded post goes to...

Sorry about that! Let that be a lesson to anyone out there who doesn't proofread before they post.
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    I don't buy those foods-- so as long as I can stay on track when I go to the grocery store, I'm typically good to go. I have also found that drinking a lot of water and making sure I am never ravenously hungry, I don't get too many of them.

Typically I get cravings for sugar and salt. I haven't had sugar in 5 weeks because I can't control myself around desserts. I have a lot of fruit protein shakes-- it curbs that craving usually with a tart sweetness from some frozen strawberries or something. For salt, I try to add more zest to my salads.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    And the award for most long-winded post goes to...

Sorry about that! Let that be a lesson to anyone out there who doesn't proofread before they post.

At least it was full of some very good ideas! Thanks for that..

Currently I'm just sitting here biting my nails instead, :grumble: (Yep, terrible habit I know)