Heart disease and obesity

Options
Anyone here living with heart disease and obesity? I was diagnosed with heart disease before I became obese actually. I have coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, mitral valve prolapse, and ventricular arrhythmia. I get sad and frustrated about my diagnosis and binge eat on occasion. Sometimes I will get discouraged working out because my heart will begin to beat too fast and I have to stop exercising and catch my breath. I also have a defibrillator and do not want it to shock me to slow my heart rate down. That has happened before and it's pretty scary and painful. Just looking for other members who may have some type of heart ailment so we can be a support to each other. Please friend me.

Replies

• shuffy09
    shuffy09 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I too am living with Heart Disease. I have mitrovalve prolapse, a-fib and a defibrillator for my PVC tachycardia-induced cardiomyopathy. I have had multiple surgeries and gained a BUNCH of weight due to my conditions and medication.

I use to hold myself back for the fear of my ICD firing. It does hurt, and it hurts a lot. What I did learn was that by holding myself back, I was preventing my heart from getting stronger. I started to walk, proceed to run and look forward to hitting some big goals soon.

Look forward to hearing from you and any others.
  • nicolejac31
    nicolejac31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have heart disease, Mitral value prolapse has gone from mild to moderate. This is just one of the conditions that has caused depression and anxiety. I also had to have thyroid surgery two years ago and since it's removal, I put on 50 pounds to two months. I have lost most of the weight gained but it is so difficult since I don't have a thyroid to regulate metabolism, energy, and hormones levels. I would eat out of stress dealing with my health, and relationship failures. Two and a half months ago, I decided to take control of my life and stop allowing my conditions to deter and hinder my happiness and successful. I am trying my best to get in the best shape I can so that I can live long healthy life. My sister who is four years older just had open heart surgery in Jan. 2014, and watching her not be able to do anything for herself for months and need to be waited on hand and foot, sacred the life out of me. I still slip up but I'm trying to remember why I had to make changes and keep this promise to myself and my three children. It's just good to know that I am not alone in my health, weight, and decisions and that others are also dealing with similar issues.
  • CassieJohnson68
    Options
    My sister was diagnosed from heart disease. we all panicked as she was very young. doctors told us that her heart problem is due to her weight and that she must lost her weight in order to live healthy. She followed a diet and joined a gym after that she lost a lot of weight but her heart problem remains same. One of my colleagues told me about doctorbing.com and my sister followed his medical treatment for a healthy lifestyle and heart care.
  • Samjoi
    Samjoi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had open heart surgery at age 37. I'm 44 now. I'm the heaviest since the surgery and feel the difference when I'm breathing. Simple things such as walking is getting harder. My cardiologist wants me to go swimming and go back walking because I need to loose 35 pounds. I struggle with making healthy meals on a very tight budget. Any suggestions?