Cutting out sugar completely

Options
Has anyone ever tried cutting out sugar COMPLETELY? I eat a consistently healthy diet, but I do have a sweet tooth, and even though much of the sugar I consume is fruit, my sugar intake is much above what it should be. I've decided to go cold turkey and stop eating sugar completely to see if I can get rid of my sweet tooth. The past two days I have consumed less than 5g of sugar. I have an unbearable headache (which I anticipated as a withdrawal symptom), but I haven't been hungry at all. Does anyone have experience with this? I am wondering if this is safe. Is it okay to consume zero grams of sugar per day?

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Not sure if serious
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried cutting out sugar COMPLETELY? I eat a consistently healthy diet, but I do have a sweet tooth, and even though much of the sugar I consume is fruit, my sugar intake is much above what it should be. I've decided to go cold turkey and stop eating sugar completely to see if I can get rid of my sweet tooth. The past two days I have consumed less than 5g of sugar. I have an unbearable headache (which I anticipated as a withdrawal symptom), but I haven't been hungry at all. Does anyone have experience with this? I am wondering if this is safe. Is it okay to consume zero grams of sugar per day?

Could it be done? Yes. It's it safe or advisable? Absolutely not. Even vegetables have some sugar in them. Zucchini, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes. Only one I can think of that doesn't is lettuce. Even removing all fruit isn't really advisable. Maybe just switch to the lower sugar berries.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    NO..... and why would you? :huh: I've lost 123lbs and I have ice cream everyday, sometimes with Poptarts. :bigsmile:

tumblr_m4i8brl8wB1qg3muyo1_500.gif
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all processed sugars for more than 30 years. It gets easier in time. Lots of fruit and veggies...
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what you are actually eating? You taking out all sugars not just added sugar right?
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    What about the sugars in fruit and vegetables? You'd have to avoid eating ALL of those if you wanted to go the no-sugar route. That wouldn't be healthy, I don't think....but I'm no nutritionist.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary and if you cut out all fruits, unhealthy.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I just ate the most delicious apple, the Ambrosia variety. Cut it out of my diet? No way! The wild blueberries I have in my morning oatmeal? No way! I made baked chocolate, cherry oatmeal this morning...I would be sad, sad, sad.
  • Itlnchk
    Itlnchk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am assuming it is the added sugar aka White sugar? If so cut it out! I have been trying to do this and the detoxing is awful! But doable
  • Miss_Kaz80
    Miss_Kaz80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I managed to survive by cutting out refined processed sugars for almost 2 years. I still ate incidental carbohydrates from Leafy greens and Brown Rice. Otherwise I felt great, my teeth never felt furry and my glucose tests still came back within a healthy range at my check ups.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    NO..... and why would you? :huh: I've lost 123lbs and I have ice cream everyday, sometimes with Poptarts. :bigsmile:

tumblr_m4i8brl8wB1qg3muyo1_500.gif

I see that and raise you this:

flFgB.gif
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    c4965eed224956544c81923bc6dd527a-250x190.gif
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Catfish profile! Random outlandish question! FAKE!!!!!
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Catfish profile! Random outlandish question! FAKE!!!!!

catfish.gif
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you read through the OP's previous posts she has a history of disordered eating so this new idea doesn't surprise me.
  • mrspinky85
    mrspinky85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I had to cut sugar when I was in basic training because I was out of shape at first. Then, my family took me to a restaurant and I wanted to eat everything. I was sick for a week straight. But that was 7 years ago. I think that you can eat sugar because now people say that sugar substitute has aspartame which is bad for you in it.

I think if you eat less calories then you take in and eat it in moderation, you can have some sugar.
  • nklp
    nklp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this, too because I go over my sugar allowance every day! Super worried about never being able to kick the habit, but you definitely need fruit and veg - just try to replace some of the fruit your eating with more vegetables, and try to cut out any processed sugar would be my advice. Good luck!

52818048.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Oh my god. I'm assuming you mean processed and refined sugars and so all the answers banging on about cutting out fruit and vegetables have gone the wrong way entirely?

If so, yes I have, once. I did a January "detox" (dirty word I know but I don't know what else to call it). I stopped alcohol, caffeine, salt, sugar, meat, dairy and wheat for 1 month only and largely to see what effect it would have. When I reintroduced those foods, the biggest headache I've ever had in my life came from the sugar. It was an interesting experiment but life's FAR too short to eat like that always.

If you want to cut down, CUT DOWN. That's all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's possible to consume zero grams of sugar per day, and I'm sure it wouldn't be healthy. Many vegetables contain sugar. I used to have a huge sweet tooth too and gave up all added sugar for a while to break that habit. I ate little fruit and no sweets - no table sugar, honey, syrup, candy, desserts, sugary cereals, etc. This was decades ago and I wasn't tracking nutrition so I have no idea how many grams I was getting, but I still ate some fruit and lots of vegetables and whole grains so it wasn't super low sugar.

It was hard at first, but after a few months I found I no longer craved sugar. Ever since then I've been able to eat sweets without wanting more and more. I think the deprivation was needed to change my tastes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary and if you cut out all fruits, unhealthy.

A person can't be healthy without eating fruit? :huh: