Water weight

Options
Hey guys :)
I understand that after getting off a low carb diet, you gain water weight, but is this the actual weight? Or does it take a while for the body to get used to?
I was on a low carb diet for a few weeks. Finally got off about five days ago and I've magically gained two inches around my waist :(. I was so happy with the progress I had made during the diet. I knew some of it was going to come back on after but I didn't think it would be all :(
Haha. I'm so annoyed.

TMI.. I also haven't been able to go to the bathroom since (well until today), maybe it'll go down after?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it is water weight and/or gloycgen stores being replenished, probably both...

If it is glycogen then you will gain about five pounds and more than likely keep that on until you exhaust said glycogen stores..

water weight does eventually come off...
  • mowmi
    mowmi Posts: 14
    Options

If it is glycogen then you will gain about five pounds and more than likely keep that on until you exhaust said glycogen stores..

So if its glycogen its not going to go away? Damn...
    Okay thanks :)
  • matayl
    Options
    I used to wrestle in high school and we would always have to diet to "make weight" before a tournament or a match. It was common knowledge that one carries about 6 pounds of water weight (although I am sure that this varies with the individual - it is 6 pounds for me), which you could (if you took the proper measures - like sweating a lot and not drinking much) lose in 2 days, but it is only temporary..... the day after the match you get it back. Likewise, when you start a diet your body stops holding all that water and you get dramatic weight loss... for me on this go around I lost about 4 pounds within just a few days. But again, it's just "water weight" and one should not get overly enthusiastic about it, or overly bummed when it eventually returns.
  • vtotheicky
    vtotheicky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and avoid salt. The water weight should come off. It usually comes because your body stores water to fuel your muscles after you've worked out. It's normal and it doesn't mean you've gained 'weight'
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

So if its glycogen its not going to go away? Damn...
    Okay thanks :)

it will go away once you deplete it again through dieting, exercise etc...

the way to avoid this is to cut down five pounds below your goal weight..so if you want to be 170, cut down to 165, and then when you start eating at maintenance your glycogen will replenish and you will be 170...