Post-Menopause and Weight loss

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most of us don't have an hour a day to do cardio.

What do you base this on?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Absolutely and it was proven to me in university and through my own adjustment to menopause that as women age our metabolism slows down and you combine that with estrogen loss and the many problems we go through later in life (surgeries etc.) of course its harder to lose weight. Many women end up with body aches and pains that they aren't use to as well which slows us down. The symptoms that some women experience with menopause vary but many are extreme and very uncomfortable making weight loss a bigger challenge. Such as the following:
    Common Symptoms
    1. Hot Flashes
    2. Night Sweats
    3. Irregular Periods
    4. Loss of Libido
    5. Vaginal Dryness
    6. Mood Swings

Changes
    7. Fatigue
    8. Hair Loss
    9. Sleep Disorders
    10. Difficult Concentrating
    11. Memory Lapses
    12. Dizziness
    13. Weight Gain
    14. Incontinence
    15. Bloating
    16. Allergies
    17. Brittle Nails

18. Changes in Odor
    19. Irregular Heartbeat
    20. Depression
    21. Anxiety
    22. Irritability
    23. Panic Disorder

Pains
    24. Breast Pain
    25. Headaches
    26. Joint Pain
    27. Burning Tongue
    28. Electric Shocks
    29. Digestive Problems
    30. Gum Problems
    31. Muscle Tension
    32. Itchy Skin
    33. Tingling Extremities

Oh my!! These are just possible symptoms and many are not common. And it would be rare for someone to have all of them.

Though #4 did make me LOL. And WTH does #28 even mean?? Do these women shock others or is someone shocking them? Also, many of these, such as lack of concentration and memory lapses are symptoms that typically occur during perimenopause and resolve post menopause, Memory problems post menopause are usually a sign of something else such as senility onset or Alzhiemer's.

And nearly all of these can be lessened or eliminated by regular moderate to intense exercise. Using them as an excuse is just that ... an excuse.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

There are some things that can make it nearly impossible to find time- having responsibility for grandchildren or being a caretaker for an ill relative, or one of those nightmarish East or West Coast commutes. Most post-menopausal women, however, no longer have to ferry 10-year olds from school to soccer practice. Work? I spend 1.5 hours each day commuting and another 8+ hours in the office (including through lunch). Business travel? I'm in the hotel gym or the pool at 6:30 AM if that's the only time I can get it in.

For me there are just so many benefits that I make it a priority. Health (I miss about one day every 3 years due to sickness), energy, liking what I see in the mirror, even naked, stress relief, mitigation of menopausal symptoms.. how many more do you need?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

There are some things that can make it nearly impossible to find time- having responsibility for grandchildren or being a caretaker for an ill relative, or one of those nightmarish East or West Coast commutes. Most post-menopausal women, however, no longer have to ferry 10-year olds from school to soccer practice. Work? I spend 1.5 hours each day commuting and another 8+ hours in the office (including through lunch). Business travel? I'm in the hotel gym or the pool at 6:30 AM if that's the only time I can get it in.

For me there are just so many benefits that I make it a priority. Health (I miss about one day every 3 years due to sickness), energy, liking what I see in the mirror, even naked, stress relief, mitigation of menopausal symptoms.. how many more do you need?

Same here regarding making it high on the list of priorities.

I work shifts, when I am on earlies, I will train in the afternoon, when I am on lates, I will train in the morning.

In my own case, it is not finding the one hour to do the training, it is manipulating my training in order to reduce the risk of injury now that I am older :laugh:
  • ButterflyJourney
    ButterflyJourney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I lost 98 lbs in menopause (in fact, I had been in menopause for 3 years before I decided to shake the weight). If I can do it, so can you. I was at the gym 5-6 days a week for 2 hours every day. Sure it meant getting up earlier, but worth it for the weight loss. 1 hour for cardio (speed of 3.1 on treadmill) and 1 hour of using weights for toning. My goal was to gain some muscle and tone while i was losing weight at the same time. I hired a personal trainer at my gym to coach me. Weight loss is mainly food. Review your diaries. What is sneaking in to your diet? How many fat grams and calories are you consuming each day? Are you eating too little or too much? There are a lot of factors involved in weight loss.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Was looking for any women who are post menopausal and wondering how their weight loss is coming along. I just walked in the door from my dr appt and since April the scale is the same! Now I know it's not all about the scale. I have lost a very few inches which I am grateful for. It bites though! I work out 6x a week I do cardio and I use weights. Right now I am currently doing Insanity. Just started the third week. No weight loss. The dr. told me that post menopausal women need to work out 5 hours a week to just MAINTAIN their weight! Was wondering if this is how it is for others or are you losing working out around 5 hours? Im just wondering about how many hours I will need to workout to have the scale go down. I know everyone is different just trying to get an idea. Thanks in advance!!

We are SO similar. Work out for an hour at the gym 5 days a week (unless sick or injured), add 2 personal trainer sessions and a group training session. In a good month I lose a kilo (2.2lbs). My body composition has changed, I look more athletic than sedentary, and I can easily leg press 100 kilos. In my 30's and 40's I could lose weight easily. I have a nutrition coach at the gym, she says I'm doing everything right, it's just very slow and very hard. For those ladies who are post menopausal and can lose a pound or more a week, I'm sincerely very happy for you. For the rest of us, we just don't give up, however long it takes.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    For those ladies who are post menopausal and can lose a pound or more a week, I'm sincerely very happy for you. For the rest of us, we just don't give up, however long it takes.

I didn't have that much to lose (went from 147 to 129) but yes, it was slow. I never weighed myself because I get frustrated with the day-to-day fluctuations. It definitely was slow going; I kept at it because I just felt better eating less and moving more, and my clothes were fitting better. It was a happy surprise when I went in for a checkup and saw the results on the scale,
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I lost 98 lbs in menopause (in fact, I had been in menopause for 3 years before I decided to shake the weight). If I can do it, so can you. I was at the gym 5-6 days a week for 2 hours every day. Sure it meant getting up earlier, but worth it for the weight loss. 1 hour for cardio (speed of 3.1 on treadmill) and 1 hour of using weights for toning. My goal was to gain some muscle and tone while i was losing weight at the same time. I hired a personal trainer at my gym to coach me. Weight loss is mainly food. Review your diaries. What is sneaking in to your diet? How many fat grams and calories are you consuming each day? Are you eating too little or too much? There are a lot of factors involved in weight loss.

In the gym for 2 hours every day?? For me that would mean literally doing nothing but commuting, working, exercising and sleeping. No thanks! :noway:

I just eat sensibly and workout 30-60 min a day 5-7 days a week. That's all I need to remain healthy and thin. I have and need a life outside work and workouts.
  • medeering14
    medeering14 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd like to interrupt, ladies, looking for opinions on behalf of my mum. She's got about 50 she'd like to lose, has a bad knee, but has gone to PT and swims, does an exercise bike, and would like to start back her pilates class, but she says she just never loses even if she was at the gym two hours and starved.

I helped her set up a MFP account, and she's netting 800-1000/day. My experience immediately said "No no no!" When I joined and started logging, I found I was doing the same thing, and broke my plateau when I added. I told her I thought she needed at least 1200 a day. Do you all agree, or do you find you really have to eat that little, since your hormones have changed? She's also between 50-100g of carbs/day, all veggies, where I thought between 100-150.

Also, do any of you do weight training? She's limited in what she could do, with her knees and feet, but she could do some. Does it make a difference? TIA, she's been so frustrated for years and I like to think I could help her.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'd like to interrupt, ladies, looking for opinions on behalf of my mum. She's got about 50 she'd like to lose, has a bad knee, but has gone to PT and swims, does an exercise bike, and would like to start back her pilates class, but she says she just never loses even if she was at the gym two hours and starved.

I helped her set up a MFP account, and she's netting 800-1000/day. My experience immediately said "No no no!" When I joined and started logging, I found I was doing the same thing, and broke my plateau when I added. I told her I thought she needed at least 1200 a day. Do you all agree, or do you find you really have to eat that little, since your hormones have changed? She's also between 50-100g of carbs/day, all veggies, where I thought between 100-150.

Also, do any of you do weight training? She's limited in what she could do, with her knees and feet, but she could do some. Does it make a difference? TIA, she's been so frustrated for years and I like to think I could help her.

Unless she is very short (under 5'0"), she needs to eat more. And even then, she should be able to eat more and lose. And make sure the diet is balanced and includes enough protein. If she's been eating that low for some time, she might not lose anything for a month or so after increasing but she should begin to lose after a while.

Yes, she should do some type of resistance training, whether it be weights, resistance bands or body weight. It is common to lose muscle and bone density during/after menoause and resistance training, along with proper diet, is the only want to prevent it. Swimming is good resistance training, but since she has an indentified weakness I'd suggest she talk to her doctor about what exercises would be safe for her.

If she hasn't already, she should also mention her trouble losing weight to her doctor as thyroid problems are also common post menopause. This can make weight loss very difficult but is usually easily managed with medication.
  • liln5k
    liln5k Posts: 6
    Options
    I am 42 will be 43 in Oct and peri-menopausal. I don't have hot flashes or anything like that BUT I do have the irregular cycles, mood swings, anxiety, heart palpitations, a lot more of the 34 YAY!!!... My husband and I started the virgin diet (lifestyle change) in late oct early nov of last year. I weighed 215 lbs. As of my Friday weigh in, I am now 128 lbs... I walk on the treadmill at work 5 days a week for 40 mins (5 min warm up; 30 min walk at 3.5 mph; 5 min cool down) I do upper body weight machines mon and wed and then legs on tues and thurs. I do standing ab's all 5 days. My husband has lost 95 lbs with the new lifestyle changes and he doesn't work out like I do... for us It comes down to clean eating... we eat meat, fruits, veges, good carbs and healthy fats (oliveoyl, etc) (lentils, sweet potatoes and brown rice)... we eat as organic as possible... We don't eat processed foods, dairy, eggs, peanuts, corn, soy, sugar or artificial sweetners... I average between 1200 and 1300 calories and it is a lot of food to eat!!! we are never hungry!!! if interested you should visit jjvirgin.com or visit her page on facebook... it really does work!!!
  • Daisyfk
    Daisyfk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am and it is going well.... I am sticking to my 1200 cal goal and my 135 crabs a day per my nutritionist. The weight is coming off slowly the healthy way. What ever is good for you just stick with it... You'll see it'll pay off...

Blessing to you... :)
  • randomhelena
    randomhelena Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just got my blood tested and am in post menopause (I'm 43!) I have been dealing with it for years and only now have I been able to convince my doc to give me a blood test....he was so insistent that I had to be 50 and knew for sure the test would come back no where near menopausal....WRONG! I knew though....anyway....

So as far as weight loss, I am doing well on 35 mins cardio/1390 calories daily. I average 1 1/2 to 2 pounds loss a week and once I dropped a nice 4 in a week. I started at 1540 a week until I was barely losing a pound a week. I recently made the change to 1390 and am back to 2 pound a week losses.
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Just curious for those that are post menopause and successfully losing -

1) How long you've been in menopause,

2) Do you still have ovaries, and

3) Are you taking Hormone Replacement Therapy, if so what ?

I'm 9 years post - I found it relatively easy to lose/ maintain the first years following surgery however as time passes it seems to be harder with no changes in diet or exercise.

The only change for me during this time was stopping HRT - which I have recently re-started (not long enough for results)...

I've read several studies regarding estrogen/leptin interaction which indicate low estrogen prevents fat cells from producing leptin. Have also read that without estriadol from ovaries - the primary source of estrogen is estrone - which is produced by fat cells... hence body will fight to keep fat stores for estrogen (which could explain lower leptin production)...
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm post menopausal and am doing ok. I was going to say it's going slower than when I was younger but I'm being more sensible and not doing any crazy starvation diets so I don't know if thats really true. I started off at 1200 cals but I pretty much always went over so in the last couple of months I liberalized my calories and I'm still losing. I do strength training 3x/week and my cardio is mostly walking. I 'm working on adding in some running too.
  • randomhelena
    randomhelena Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just curious for those that are post menopause and successfully losing -

1) How long you've been in menopause,

2) Do you still have ovaries, and

3) Are you taking Hormone Replacement Therapy, if so what ?

I'm 9 years post - I found it relatively easy to lose/ maintain the first years following surgery however as time passes it seems to be harder with no changes in diet or exercise.

The only change for me during this time was stopping HRT - which I have recently re-started (not long enough for results)...

I've read several studies regarding estrogen/leptin interaction which indicate low estrogen prevents fat cells from producing leptin. Have also read that without estriadol from ovaries - the primary source of estrogen is estrone - which is produced by fat cells... hence body will fight to keep fat stores for estrogen (which could explain lower leptin production)...

1) I am guestimating around 6 years
    2) Yes, I have what is called premature menopause because I started so early and blood tests show me in postmenopause.
    3) Yes, a combo. Just started it this week....not sure if I am completely comfortable taking it....but I feel I need something.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    3 years post-and down 59 pounds since March 2012. It is comes off much more slowly, but this is a life style change! I try to exercise every day-which I have not EVER done before. I feel much better-but have made a point of telling my younger coworkers and friends that NOW is the time to get that grip.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    57 years old
    Menopausal for 3 miserable years...hot flashes every hour, night sweats, foggy, cotton headed, bloated, tired, 25 lb weight gain, snarky yet cry-baby. Finally went on HRT, Femhert(70$ !!! rip-off price)...very low dose by my md...then I cut the pill in half. All the weird stuff is gone except occasional flash.
    I started MFP in April and have lost some weight(15lbs) very slowly...only when I eat 1200 or less do I see weight loss. I have some bad habits which are slowly in regression.
    I sleep through the night now, since I lost the weight, not because of the HRT, and my arms don't go numb.
    I use a pedometer and I try to hit 10,000 steps/day...treadmilling, busy work, house cleaning, yet I sit on my" not as big as it was" *kitten* every day for a couple hours playing cards. I don't eat during that time.
    Lift weights 2/week at the gym....so great... love it!
    When I eat clean, I see the scale move down. Like the lady said, food with one ingredient. Although I eat my seeds and nuts together with coconut milk.
    For now I have eliminated dairy, red meat, sodies, booze, wheat and simple sugars. No more candy treats. I may reintroduce them periodically but for now I want to see how my body responds...does my bloated belly go down, sinuses get better, headaches lessen, poop regular?
    It's been very interesting. My body was crying out to me and now it is happily changing and I am starting to see the remarkable results from my remarkable body!
    LisaGNV said, "When you go back to the old way of eating, you go back to the old way of looking."
    You decide for yourself. Good luck everyone!
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who replied - this is such a hot topic for me. I am convinced it is causing my stalls.

I finally visited my doctor and am re-starting HRT today - my physician seems to think it will drastically improve weight loss (3 months to see "full" effects).

Also, I recently found/joined a group called "Menopause brick wall". I have not had any responses to post ( only a very small number of members). I would love to have more dialogue regarding our experiences and progress. It's a smaller audience but still in a group setting which could be beneficial for us all - what has worked and what has not.

Hope you join !
  • ChrissieEm
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    New to the board and like many struggling with weight loss post menopause. Have lived most of my life controlling my weight with less than healthy habits and have really reached a brick wall. This is so depressing. I know high protein works best for me personally, but it aggravated my diverticulosis. I need encouragement!! Any suggestions would be welcome.