I have no ide how I gained 20 lbs in 24 hours!

Options
So I weigh myself every morning, same place same scale. Its a dial scale so I don't worry about batteries. Yesterday I weighed 178, this morning 201. How on earth did I gain more then 20 pounds in 24 hours. I will be very honest I cheated a bit yesterday, I had a few pieces of candy (about 5) and I added them. I ate about 1,500 calories (I usually eat about 1,100 and have been slowly working up to 1,300-1,400 so when I come off this diet onto maintenance I don't go from 1,100-1,200 to 1,800-2,000 over night). I am not low carb, and even they talk about a few pounds...not 20lbs! I can't see where this 20lbs went on. I have no idea what happened. What do I do now? How to I avoid being 221 tomorrow?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Candy is extremely dangerous. Consider yourself lucky that you lived through the ordeal.:wink:
  • zak138
    zak138 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Your scale is broken.
  • ErinMLB
    ErinMLB Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    you didn't . your scale is broken.
  • ArticaG
    Options
    Did you eat over 70000 calories yesterday? If not, then you did not put that weight on. I would check the scale
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Silly you, you forgot to take of your 20lbs weight vest after training ;-)
    Or you scale has retired (low battery perhaps)...
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Most ludicrous thing I've read on this forum. And that's saying something.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You did not gain 20lbs overnight. I promise :) Get a new scale!
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Step off the scale and see where the dial rests. Sometime the dial itself needs to be reset. Grab a 20 pound hand weight (or heavier if you have it) and put it on the scale to see if the scale is accurate. If not, you may need a new scale. You could also go use a friends scale or quickly stop by the doctors to see if you get a weight that is 20 pounds up. Just remember to subtract a few pounds (3-5) for clothes.

There is no way you've gained 20 pounds over night. Ever for water weight, that's a bit much.

Final thought. Did any medication change in the last week? Some do cause water retention. The only time my weight spiked like that over night was with prednisone. But I was so visibly swollen from water that it was apparent to everyone. At that point, I couldn't bend my fingers. Not fun.

Eat as you should today, drink your water, and do what you can to check your scales accuracy. I'm sure you'll find (if its not broken, as sometimes the little feet break and that throws everything off) that you will be back to your other weight in a few days.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Look behind you. Someone is stepping on the scale.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I would say it's the candy, must have had that high corn fructose in it :wink: :sad: My suggestion is to throw it all my way and I'll see if it happens to me :laugh:

Seriously though the scale is broke
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Stop joking people! Did you not see that there was candy eaten! Five pieces of candy is easily 20 pounds, I am just surprised it is not more.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    ancient-aliens-guy-im-not-saying-its-aliens-but-its-aliens.jpg
  • laurelboynton
    laurelboynton Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I never say mean things on the forum. However....
    LOL
  • knives00005
    Options
    Not an expert but I don't think it's humanly possible to put that many pounds overnight using candies..
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Look behind you. Someone is stepping on the scale.

:laugh: Great way to state the morning! Thank you!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Or you scale has retired (low battery perhaps)...

IT SAYS THERE'S NO BATTERIES IN IT!

Jeez, you're all (excuse the pun) sugarcoating the fact that this can happen! It's a real concern for people! Don't blame the scales! That candy has metamorphosised into 20lbs of 100% fat.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    How much water did you drink?
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    There's no way you gained that much in 24 hours.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This thread has made my day. Thank you for that. Love you; love everything about you; thinking about being you for Halloween next year. :smile:
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    facepalm.jpg