Are these body fat calculators online accurate?

Options
Can I trust these calculators or is there a more accurate way of measuring body fat percentage?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    measuring by X-ray (DEXA), density (BodPod or weighing in water tank) etc are not easy to access and may cost a bit. Multiple caliper measurements and calculators give a reasonable estimate if you're the type of person they are based on.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    measuring by X-ray (DEXA), density (BodPod or weighing in water tank) etc are not easy to access and may cost a bit. Multiple caliper measurements and calculators give a reasonable estimate if you're the type of person they are based on.

I might try that DEXA though if it's covered by my insurance :) I'm choosing between calipers and calculators though... btw I love your pic! I just read an article about it. I've been experimenting on eating more before I read the article and it's hindering my weightloss I think :|
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i find they arn't that bad. for me they have been consistent. yes the scan is the best way but not everyone can do that. I use the online calculators and calipers and they are pretty close to being identical with results. IMO use them and it is still a good guide even if it is off b/c as long as you see a downward trend, it's all good , right :)
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting a caliper so I can compare from the calculators :D
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The online calculators are good approximations. I do several of them and look at the average. Don't see a need to get a super precise number. Within a percent or two is plenty accurate enough for your average person.
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Use the calipers - they will get you consistent readings and you can track changes. I use two BF models - one has three caliper measures and the other has four. One of them has my BF at ~15% and the other at ~10%. It is ok that they are different, because what is really important is using the same model, tracking your results, and trending in the right direction. This is a very reliable way to track REAL progress as it explains more than knowing your weight alone will tell you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that DEXA is also +/- 3%.
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    Use the calipers - they will get you consistent readings and you can track changes. I use two BF models - one has three caliper measures and the other has four. One of them has my BF at ~15% and the other at ~10%. It is ok that they are different, because what is really important is using the same model, tracking your results, and trending in the right direction. This is a very reliable way to track REAL progress as it explains more than knowing your weight alone will tell you.

Thank you! I'll definitely get a caliper :)
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    Just be aware that DEXA is also +/- 3%.

Thanks! :)
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    The online calculators aren't bad, but at least in my case, were overstating my bodyfat. I had been using the average of the 3 bodyfat calcualtors over at Fat2FitRadio.com. They normally tracked pretty closely when I had been measured using calipers. But Monday I found out they were off. I went into the BodPod on Monday to try to get the most accurate reading possible. Just before I went, I did the on-line calculators. The average of the 3 was 17.1%. A couple of hours later I did the Bod Pod. And it came back at 11.8%. Obviously happy with that number (especially for a 58 year old guy). But at least in my case, the onlines were about 5% too high. Can't always say that, so don't make that assumption. But just keep it in mind too.

ETA: my profile pic is my result from Monday's Bod Pod experiment.
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR THAT!!! I will use that for now since I havent got calipers yet :flowerforyou:
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR THAT!!! I will use that for now since I havent got calipers yet :flowerforyou:

It will at least get you in the neighborhood. And all it takes is a scale for your weight and a tape measure.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    No clue. :huh:
    I have tried multiple ones. The lowest tells me 27.6%, the middles ones are around 31-34%, and the highest one put me at 43% body fat! My lean body mass is higher than the average 5'8" womans so I doubt the 43% number, mostly because the only number it relies on besides weight and height was my waist circumfrence. I got my number from the gym a few years ago (32%) but I was heavier so I if I had to guess- I am actually an average of the lowest and the mid number.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The trainers at my gym will do a body fat thing for free, it's part of my membership. You should ask if you have a gym. They might do the same thing. save yourself the money of getting your own.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The trainers at my gym will do a body fat thing for free, it's part of my membership. You should ask if you have a gym. They might do the same thing. save yourself the money of getting your own.

This, but be very cautious about body fat scales. They are notoriously flighty. Depending on one's hydration levels, if it's a hand-held scale, or a standing scale, you can get wildly different/inaccurate numbers.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

This, but be very cautious about body fat scales. They are notoriously flighty. Depending on one's hydration levels, if it's a hand-held scale, or a standing scale, you can get wildly different/inaccurate numbers.

My scale at home says I'm 32% BF.. but I think that's inaccurate. I don't have a lot of fat on me.. So i'm going to the gym to see if the trainers there get a different number.
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Two things...

Thing 1. Again, use calipers - they are inexpensive and really do measure your fat. Then it's all about the BF calculator model with respect to accuracy (and don't hang your hat on any particular calculator - they are all estimations).

Thing 2. Again, do NOT get wrapped up in the accuracy - one may say 15% and the other 10%. It may feel good to be confident of your BF numbers, but at the end of the day what does it matter? What does matter is what direction you want to go. The one thing you can rely on with calipers and the calculators is that they are consistent and great for tracking your progress.
  • RebeccaC2410
    RebeccaC2410 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say so, there was a huge 10% difference in the online one and them the machine in boots that calculates it for you