Dropping bodyfat and retaining/building muscle

Options
I have about 3-4kg of bodyfat to lose. I've started training again after a hiatus and am starting to gain muscle. I am trying not to focus on calories as much ( I was a bit OCD with 1200cal, but please don't start a debate) but want to shed the fat and retain the muscle I have/gain more.

Tips please.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    As long as you get the sufficient amount of protein and (I think) the sufficient amount of BCAAs and do resistance training the same as you would to build muscle you should retain most of your muscle. Only other thing to do would be to take Clenbuterol as it helps to retain muscle, although it is illegal in the states and UK so probably not useful...
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    As long as you get the sufficient amount of protein and (I think) the sufficient amount of BCAAs and do resistance training the same as you would to build muscle you should retain most of your muscle. Only other thing to do would be to take Clenbuterol as it helps to retain muscle, although it is illegal in the states and UK so probably not useful...

Don't listen to this guy please he has no clue

You need to focus on Eating at maintenance , in that way you preserve body weight but build muscle at a very slow rate without the fat (especially if you are new to training) . More muscle = higher TDEE = Faster metabolism therefore you burn more calories and can eat more to repair muscles for recovery and growth .

Eat more and train hard.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Besides you look lean as it is , you definitely can do with building up your lean body mass . Eat at least at maintenance
  • swartepiet
    swartepiet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My tip: Eat more.

I was a gym regular for 20 years (mostly strength and size training), lost about 60 pounds and kept it off. I'm also trying to gain muscle while being strict with calories but being negative while trying to work out, you just don't have the energy to work out good enough to build muscle. On days when I eat 'too much', I get a damn good workout.

Keep in mind serious athletes eat a ton of calories, and burn it all. My second tip, Keep bumping up your workout (reps, weights, sets), make sure you go never plateau and go beyond your comfort level.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have about 3-4kg of bodyfat to lose. I've started training again after a hiatus and am starting to gain muscle. I am trying not to focus on calories as much ( I was a bit OCD with 1200cal, but please don't start a debate) but want to shed the fat and retain the muscle I have/gain more.

Tips please.

you say youre trying to not focus on calories as much, but it would be useful to know how much you're eating? presumably you're in a surplus if you're starting to gain muscle?
  • alyhuggan
    Options

You need to focus on Eating at maintenance , in that way you preserve body weight but build muscle at a very slow rate without the fat (especially if you are new to training) . More muscle = higher TDEE = Faster metabolism therefore you burn more calories and can eat more to repair muscles for recovery and growth .

Eat more and train hard.

The first thing the OP said was "I have about 3-4kg of bodyfat to lose." your advice was to how to build muscle with minimum fat gain, are you illiterate or just plain stupid? I said eat enough protein and continue to do weight lifting while eating at a deficit and you should retain most of the muscle as long as it's not an aggressive cut.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Oh man, every time I start a post on here it ends up in an arguement.

I have put on a few kg's since my profile pic. I've trained for years but mainly to maintain, now I want to start building a bit more muscle as well as drop fat.

I'm averaging around 1400cal but an honestly struggling with eating over 1200cal - mentally I mean, I get paranoid that I'm going to put on fat which I know is unlikely if I'm training and eating sensibly.

I'm training 4 times a week on average, I'd love to do more but with working 50hrs a week and a young family its hard. I have a 100kg fre weights set at home so should just get off my butt at home!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Eat more and train hard.

The first thing the OP said was "I have about 3-4kg of bodyfat to lose." your advice was to how to build muscle with minimum fat gain, are you illiterate or just plain stupid? I said eat enough protein and continue to do weight lifting while eating at a deficit and you should retain most of the muscle as long as it's not an aggressive cut.

Maybe you are the idiot? I am pretty sure the op was saying not to listen to

"Only other thing to do would be to take Clenbuterol as it helps to retain muscle, although it is illegal in the states and UK so probably not useful..."

Why would you even suggest that someone take a steroid?
  • alyhuggan
    Options

Eat more and train hard.

Maybe you are the idiot? I am pretty sure the op was saying not to listen to

"Only other thing to do would be to take Clenbuterol as it helps to retain muscle, although it is illegal in the states and UK so probably not useful..."

Why would you even suggest that someone take a steroid?

"but want to shed the fat and retain the muscle I have/gain more."

Clearly states she wants to lose fat while retaining or gaining muscle. You can't usually do both so I suggested how to retain the muscle while losing fat.

She was asking ways to retain muscle and Clenbuterol does help athletes retain muscle while in their "cutting" phase so that was a legit reply no matter how feasible?

Also Clen isn't a steroid, get your facts right please :)
  • swartepiet
    swartepiet Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I have put on a few kg's since my profile pic. I've trained for years but mainly to maintain, now I want to start building a bit more muscle as well as drop fat.

I'm averaging around 1400cal but an honestly struggling with eating over 1200cal - mentally I mean, I get paranoid that I'm going to put on fat which I know is unlikely if I'm training and eating sensibly.

I'm training 4 times a week on average, I'd love to do more but with working 50hrs a week and a young family its hard. I have a 100kg fre weights set at home so should just get off my butt at home!
    I didn't want to pass judgment at first but it sounds like you're where you should be now that you've elaborated. If you can work out with just 1400, you're absolutely fine. As evidence, I offer you the guys fighting at the sight of your abs ;-)
  • manda1978
    Options

I didn't want to pass judgment at first but it sounds like you're where you should be now that you've elaborated. If you can work out with just 1400, you're absolutely fine. As evidence, I offer you the guys fighting at the sight of your abs ;-)

I'm not looking into anything extreme, I'm definatley not after 'athelete' status. In the past I have lost weight by eating 1200cal a day but I now know that I'll most likely lose muscle if I go back to that again hence my original question.

I'll stick to 1400 a day for a while and keep up the training and see how I go :)
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'll stick to 1400 a day for a while and keep up the training and see how I go :)

That's the plan. Just make sure you are getting adequate protein, and limit carbs. You should be shooting for 1.5-2.0gm of protein per kg.
  • manda1978
    Options
    Cool. I'm about 63kg and I had 72gr of protein yesterday (MFP recommended 45), so I might be a bit under still? Will try to haev a protein shake each day, the one I have has 34gr of protein in it.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I am a new kid on the block. lol. I followed some high protein diet for awhile and I managed to drop 4.5 kg over a period of 45 days. On top of diet, I also follow a few websites to build up my body. I learned a lot from your conversations, to reciprocate, try check up these websites they may be handy to you too.
    http://insanebodyshape.com/
    http://getleanmuscle.com/
    Let me know if you find them useful. ^_^

Please show us your pictures of this amazing before and after success as this is clearly and internet marketing post. Please stop selling junk here, this site is for people that is passionate about losing weight the HEALTHY way.
  • JorisSt
    Options
    The more muscles you want to gain, the more calories you need to intake. My advice, eat some extra protein meals. And do your usual training.

Also important, dont eat carbohydrates just after workout, i read something in a e-book that its not good in combination with hormones and stuff and it has a verry negative effect on gaining muscles.

Joris S.
    musclemaximum.org
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Listen to Chadomaniac. He is a friend of mine, and he knows what he is talking about. Even if you don't know him, his pictures speak for themselves.
  • haraldpost
    Options
    You should have a long read at leangains.com,