Traveling Crockpot

Options
Hello! So my husband is in the military and just got order to move all the way on the other side of the country. We are currently in NJ and moving to Las Vegas, Nevada! So we are driving all the way there with a 1 year old and a cat, sounds fun right?? LOL

So I wanted to know what are your favorite crockpot recipes that will not break my bank and my mind! I was easy, fairly fast (it can cook all day, that's fine, just don't want to prepare forever!) crockpot recipes. We will be using this while we are staying at our hotel while waiting on a house when we get there. I rather not eat junk food and fast food, not a good idea.

So I look forward to your ideas! Thank you! :)

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    there isnt much you cant make in a crockpot, i use mine 3-4 times a week.

spaghetti sauce
    chili
    taco soup
    dry beans for burritos, tacos, etc
    white chicken chili
    butternut squash soup
    beef stew
    italian beef
    chicken thighs
    chicken soup
    beef and barley soup
    yogurt
    cheese and broccoli soup
    roast beef with potatoes and carrots
    vegetable soup
    chicken and dumplings
    chicken enchilada soup
    Cream of Mushroom pork chops
    apple butter
    pumpkin butter
    stuffed cabbage rolls

there are TONS of websites out there for crockpot cooking. we feed a family of 3+ on about $200 a month and use the crockpot all the time.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com has a whole section devoted to crockpot recipes. You can also choose recipes by ingredient to narrow it down. I find their user ratings pretty reliable.
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    two of my favorites:

Take 4/5 chicken breasts (mine are usually frozen), 1 cup of frozen corn, 1 can of black beans, 1 packet of taco seasoning, 1 cup of salsa. I put all this in the crockpot in the morning and when I get home from work I shred the chicken, put it back in and mix and then make tacos or rice bowls out of it. easy and cheap. I have seen others add a block of cream cheese and also a can of tomatoes to it.

a whole chicken. make aluminum foil balls and put in your crockpot and put the whole chicken on foil balls so the juices drip off and the chicken isn't sitting in it. I have taken potatoes and sweet potatoes and wrapped them in the foil and put the chicken on top. I put it all in when I left for work in the morning and it was falling off the bone when I got home.

Enjoy!! and good luck w/ your move. :smile:
  • Luvthighself
    Luvthighself Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This easy chicken and stuffing casserole is cooked in the slow cooker. My family had it last night and loved it!
    Ingredients:

6 boneless chicken breast halves, skin removed
    6 slices Swiss cheese
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    2 cups stuffing mix
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted

Preparation:
    Wash chicken pieces and pat dry. Lightly grease slow cooker or spray with cooking spray. Place chicken breasts in pot. Top with the Swiss cheese. Spoon soup over cheese then sprinkle with stuffing mix. Drizzle melted butter over stuffing mix. Cook on low 6 to 7 hours or high 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Kind of unrelated, but where are you staying? I live in Las Vegas and there are healthy places to eat, you just have to know where to look! I can give you some ideas. Are you going to be on the strip?
  • 1alicia3
    Options
    Kind of unrelated, but where are you staying? I live in Las Vegas and there are healthy places to eat, you just have to know where to look! I can give you some ideas. Are you going to be on the strip?

I would be interested in your ideas for healthy places to eat here in vegas! Maybe ill learn something. (:

My absolute favorite thing to make in the crock pot is taco soup! I eat it in a bowl like chili, or on top of nachos, in a burrito, I also love putting in on pita bread with cheese on top mmm so good! There is plenty recipes on google I just adjust it to my liking (most people add taco meat, I dont since im a vegetarian) (: something like:

Soften some oinion, bell pepper, and jalepeno then add some minced garlic.

Then add,
    1 can black beans
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can corn
    all drained and rinsed.

1 pkt taco seasoning (or you can make your own)
    1-2 bay leaf
    1-2 cans of diced stewed tomatoes (depending on how tomatoey you want it)
    1-2 small cans of tomato sauce
    and some water to make it "soupy"

after its heated/cooked, serve it & top it like a taco (lettuce, tomato, cilantro, sour cream, ect)

I want to make this now...
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

I would be interested in your ideas for healthy places to eat here in vegas! Maybe ill learn something. (:

My favorite place for healthy food is Greens and Proteins. Delicious, and they put the calories on the menu and website. I think there's two locations. I also love Rachel's Kitchen, which has popped up all over the valley. I've heard amazing things about Go Raw Cafe, but I haven't been there yet. Protein House is good too!
  • lmisskatie
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas guys!! :)

Ashley we will be at Nellis Air Force Base. North Las Vegas. We are I'm assuming 10-20 from the strip? I guess it depends on traffic, I'm probably wrong. How bad is the traffic there? LOL

Nice ideas for places to eat, thank you!!