Rice...Is This The Devil Even When Its Brown??

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what I prefer more for a pre-ride carb load...it's a pretty close tie between white rice and a big *kitten* plate of pasta.

I like the really starchy stuff from chinese places that you dump out of the box and it holds that square shape.

So, I say white chinese. Just to confuse the racial issue.

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is minimally more nutritious and has more fiber. But it is so minimal that in a normal serving size from .5 -1.0 cup it really makes no difference.
  • ThirdEyeOpen
    Options
    Once you go brown...

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH!
    Excited1-1.gif
  • N3rdyBird_
    N3rdyBird_ Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The nutritional value that comes from rice is concentrated in the husk of the rice itself. AKA The brown part. It's tough shell on the rice grain. Rice is like flower. Whole grain flower is brown, has a rougher texture than white flower and higher nutritional value. White rice is just brown rice that has had brown husk of the grain removed, making the rice softer, but not as healthy at brown rice. Personally, i eat both. If I'm just eating rice with some sort of sauce on it or vegetable, I prefer brown, because rice is still a starch. And if I'm going to eat it, I'll eat the starch that's high in nutrition. However, if I'm having sushi, I only eat white rice.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    No food is the devil!

I love brown rice with it's nutty taste. Just made a brown rice risotto last weekend.
    To asian foods I really like basmati or jasmine.

I find 'normal' white rice boring, but even it's not the devil ;-)
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can't cook brown rice. I fail at it SO hard. I burn it, every time. Or it ends up crunchy...sometimes both? I love white rice. It doesn't matter what rice you like, it's about the macros and your calorie limit. If you're in a calorie deficit you will lose weight :P

This! Brown rice sucks to cook and it doesn't have that much more fibre. I found that barley or quinoa can serve as a good substitute for rice with many dishes.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I freaking love rice, so I sure hope not... because if you are what you eat...
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I can't cook brown rice. I fail at it SO hard. I burn it, every time. Or it ends up crunchy...sometimes both? I love white rice. It doesn't matter what rice you like, it's about the macros and your calorie limit. If you're in a calorie deficit you will lose weight :P

This! Brown rice sucks to cook and it doesn't have that much more fibre. I found that barley or quinoa can serve as a good substitute for rice with many dishes.

I don't understand the problem. If you soak it in water in the morning and cook it at night, you reduce the cooking time by about half. You just have to check it once in a while and add water, if it gets to dry, but isn't done yet.
  • ThirdEyeOpen
    Options
    Should starches be limited?? i Almost feel the white rice is empty calories & the starch will be turned into sugar/fat?? iv been informed several different things in regards to the white rice so thats why im a tad confused. I know brown rice has more nutritional value.

i kind of heard the same thing about potatoes and it being a starch..to try & not eat white rice or potatoes every day..but i kind of feel like this may not necessarily be bad eating them as long as i stay in my calorie range
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I don't understand the problem. If you soak it in water in the morning and cook it at night, you reduce the cooking time by about half. You just have to check it once in a while and add water, if it gets to dry, but isn't done yet.

As opposed to white basmati rice that just goes into boiling water for ten minutes. That's the other reason I don't eat brown rice..........speed! I must lean towards instant gratification :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Should starches be limited?? i Almost feel the white rice is empty calories & the starch will be turned into sugar/fat?? iv been informed several different things in regards to the white rice so thats why im a tad confused. I know brown rice has more nutritional value.

i kind of heard the same thing about potatoes and it being a starch..to try & not eat white rice or potatoes every day..but i kind of feel like this may not necessarily be bad eating them as long as i stay in my calorie range

Be sure to consider the source when you are thinking about all the things you hear. Generally speaking, if you saw it in a magazine or saw it on TV, it was probably part of a sales pitch. Sales = money, not unbiased information.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I don't understand any of these posts. I don't do anything differently to cook white or brown (or red or black or even wild) rice. I just put the specified amount rice and liquid in a pan bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let it cook for however long the package says. I've never had a problem.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally, their profile is so similar that it barely matters. Brown rice has slightly more fiber, not enough to even matter. White rice 3-4x the folic acid (a B vitamin).

Choose which you like the taste of more.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Be sure to consider the source when you are thinking about all the things you hear. Generally speaking, if you saw it in a magazine or saw it on TV, it was probably part of a sales pitch. Sales = money, not unbiased information.

Lots of medical and nutritional scientists recommend choosing whole grains over white processed grains. It is not just "media misinformation" .
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting article from Web MD on how eating brown rice instead of white rice can significantly reduce the risk of T2 diabetes because it has a lower glycemic index and causes a much lower spike in blood glucose after eating it

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100614/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-better

Here are a couple of excerpts

June 14, 2010 -- Replacing white rice in your diet with brown rice may reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, according to a new study.

The finding is important because the consumption of white rice in the United States has increased dramatically in the past few decades, and about 18 million Americans have type 2 diabetes.

Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health say eating two or more servings of brown rice weekly seems to be associated with a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes. On the other hand, they report, eating five or more servings of white rice per week is associated with an increased risk.

Qi Sun, MD, now an instructor of medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, and colleagues at Harvard estimate that replacing 50 grams daily of white rice (uncooked, equivalent to a one-third serving) with the same amount of brown rice would lower the risk of type 2 diabetes by 16%.

Replacing the same amount of white rice with other whole grains, such as barley and wheat, is associated with a 36% reduced risk.

The study is published in the online journal Archives of Internal Medicine.

The researchers say the study is the first to specifically examine white rice vs. brown rice in relation to development of type2 diabetes among Americans.

“Rice consumption in the U.S. has dramatically increased in recent decades,” Sun says in a news release. “We believe replacing white rice and other refined grains with whole grains, including brown rice, would lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.”

White rice is created by removing the bran and germ portions of brown rice. The authors say that more than 70% of rice eaten in the U.S. is white.

Brown Rice Reduces Diabetes Risk

The scientists examined rice consumption and diabetes risk in 39,765 men and 157,463 women in three large studies -- the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study and the Nurses’ Health Study I and II.

They analyzed responses to questionnaires completed every four years about diet, lifestyle, and health conditions.

After adjusting for age and other lifestyle and dietary risk factors, people who consumed five or more servings of white rice per week had a 17% increased risk of diabetes, compared to people who ate less than one serving per month.

But eating two or more servings of brown rice per week was associated with an 11% reduced risk of developing type 2 diabetes, compared to eating less than one serving of brown rice per month.

White rice has a higher glycemic index than brown rice, the researchers say. That index is a measure of how fast a particular food raises blood glucose levels, compared with the same amount of glucose.

“The high glycemic index of white rice consumption is likely the consequence of disrupting the physical and botanical structure of rice grains during the refining process,” the authors write. “The other consequence of the refining process includes loss of fiber, vitamins, magnesium and other minerals, lignans, phytoestrogens, and phytic acid, many of which may be protective factors for diabetes risk.”

They recommend replacing white rice and other refined grains with brown rice to try to prevent type 2 diabetes.

Brown rice, the researchers say, often does not generate as
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Nutritionally, their profile is so similar that it barely matters. Brown rice has slightly more fiber, not enough to even matter. White rice 3-4x the folic acid (a B vitamin).

Choose which you like the taste of more.

How does white rice get more B vitamins? My understanding is that white rice starts out as brown rice.
  • Ale8a
    Ale8a Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat half a cup of brown or white rice, just measure and you'll be fine. Brown rice has a few more calories but you are getting more nutrients than with white. I still eat both though. 1 Cup of brown rice is 216 cal, I usually get 1/2... and a cup pf white rice is 200.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting article from Web MD on how eating brown rice instead of white rice can significantly reduce the risk of T2 diabetes because it has a lower glycemic index and causes a much lower spike in blood glucose after eating it

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100614/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-better

Here are a couple of excerpts

June 14, 2010 -- Replacing white rice in your diet with brown rice may reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, according to a new study.

The finding is important because the consumption of white rice in the United States has increased dramatically in the past few decades, and about 18 million Americans have type 2 diabetes.

Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health say eating two or more servings of brown rice weekly seems to be associated with a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes. On the other hand, they report, eating five or more servings of white rice per week is associated with an increased risk.

Qi Sun, MD, now an instructor of medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, and colleagues at Harvard estimate that replacing 50 grams daily of white rice (uncooked, equivalent to a one-third serving) with the same amount of brown rice would lower the risk of type 2 diabetes by 16%.

Replacing the same amount of white rice with other whole grains, such as barley and wheat, is associated with a 36% reduced risk.

The study is published in the online journal Archives of Internal Medicine.

The researchers say the study is the first to specifically examine white rice vs. brown rice in relation to development of type2 diabetes among Americans.

“Rice consumption in the U.S. has dramatically increased in recent decades,” Sun says in a news release. “We believe replacing white rice and other refined grains with whole grains, including brown rice, would lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.”

White rice is created by removing the bran and germ portions of brown rice. The authors say that more than 70% of rice eaten in the U.S. is white.

Brown Rice Reduces Diabetes Risk

The scientists examined rice consumption and diabetes risk in 39,765 men and 157,463 women in three large studies -- the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study and the Nurses’ Health Study I and II.

They analyzed responses to questionnaires completed every four years about diet, lifestyle, and health conditions.

After adjusting for age and other lifestyle and dietary risk factors, people who consumed five or more servings of white rice per week had a 17% increased risk of diabetes, compared to people who ate less than one serving per month.

But eating two or more servings of brown rice per week was associated with an 11% reduced risk of developing type 2 diabetes, compared to eating less than one serving of brown rice per month.

White rice has a higher glycemic index than brown rice, the researchers say. That index is a measure of how fast a particular food raises blood glucose levels, compared with the same amount of glucose.

“The high glycemic index of white rice consumption is likely the consequence of disrupting the physical and botanical structure of rice grains during the refining process,” the authors write. “The other consequence of the refining process includes loss of fiber, vitamins, magnesium and other minerals, lignans, phytoestrogens, and phytic acid, many of which may be protective factors for diabetes risk.”

They recommend replacing white rice and other refined grains with brown rice to try to prevent type 2 diabetes.

Brown rice, the researchers say, often does not generate as

I am not sure I trust WebMD I have seen some pretty damn sketchy things on that website
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm start off by saying the title of this post looks borderline racist at first glance hahahahah

But this is to ask you guys how everyone feels about white rice vs. brown rice. Do you guys stay away from rice completly or is brown rice the way to go if i want rice at all??

Iv heard mixed things regarding white rice so...your thoughts??

Brown rice causes wicked evil asthma in me. White not as bad.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

I eat white potatoes at least twice a week and rice (usually brown) at least twice a week. I have had no problems losing weight at all. However, I am in no way a poster child for extremely nutritious eating.