do i need to lift weights to have a flatter stomach?

Options
2»

Replies

• gojodster
    gojodster Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try resistance bands, yoga or palates, its not as aggressive but can still get you the results you are looking for.
  • smallbutcurvy
    Options
    Running leans the midriff. I currently lift heavy ( for me) and my profile pic I took today going into the gym spa, along with a good diet barbell squats and dead lifts have sculpted my body the most, its about the muscles in the legs and butt eating up all the calories! I'm 50 and have two grown up kids, I've done ballet, aerobics , martial arts etc in my lifetime and can vouch you can eat well and get good shape quickly with strength training!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    you'll probably build muscle under the fat if you work your abs. thus actually making your belly look bigger.
    I find drinking a lot of water gives me a flat stomach

This is wrong, OP. Do not listen to it. You'd have to eat an insane surplus to actually build abs to make your belly look bigger.

As others said, reducing body fat % is ultimately what gives you a flatter stomach. Lifting helps tremendously in that, at a deficit, it helps you maintain LBM, making your body more likely to strip off body fat (as opposed to both LBM and body fat when not strength training).

Someone else mentioned it their sister, and I'm one of those people: despite being a balanced hourglass, I always had a "pooch." Even when underweight, it seemed like all my body fat concentrated at my stomach. Lifting has certainly made my stomach flat--just working on getting some visible abs now.

Not knowing what you look like, too, I'd note--a "poochy belly," even at a lower weight, can be related to food intolerances, IBS, etc. as well.
  • jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    you'll probably build muscle under the fat if you work your abs. thus actually making your belly look bigger.

This is wrong, OP. Do not listen to it. You'd have to eat an insane surplus to actually build abs to make your belly look bigger.

As others said, reducing body fat % is ultimately what gives you a flatter stomach. Lifting helps tremendously in that, at a deficit, it helps you maintain LBM, making your body more likely to strip off body fat (as opposed to both LBM and body fat when not strength training).

Someone else mentioned it their sister, and I'm one of those people: despite being a balanced hourglass, I always had a "pooch." Even when underweight, it seemed like all my body fat concentrated at my stomach. Lifting has certainly made my stomach flat--just working on getting some visible abs now.

Not knowing what you look like, too, I'd note--a "poochy belly," even at a lower weight, can be related to food intolerances, IBS, etc. as well.

thanks for your input. which exercise helped you and is there a way i can do that at home? (signing up for a gym isn't in the budget for me yet)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

this ^^^

this is what lifting ( squats, leg press, and more) has done to me.
    8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

still about 194lbs in the pic on the right.
    10035269906_47277afec6.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this morning. 192lbs.
    10857455026_4d003227d4.jpg
    #fitspo #hardworkwins #nevergiveup #notacardiobunny by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

its really just been in the last month or so that I have cut down my cardio. I used to do like 4-5 hours of cardio a week. Now I do a 15 minute warm up, and a 10 minute cool down 4-5 times a week, and 1 time a week I do an hour long zumba type class.
  • jigglyone
    Options

this ^^^

this is what lifting ( squats, leg press, and more) has done to me.
    8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

still about 194lbs in the pic on the right.
    10035269906_47277afec6.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this morning. 192lbs.
    10857455026_4d003227d4.jpg
    #fitspo #hardworkwins #nevergiveup #notacardiobunny by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

its really just been in the last month or so that I have cut down my cardio. I used to do like 4-5 hours of cardio a week. Now I do a 15 minute warm up, and a 10 minute cool down 4-5 times a week, and 1 time a week I do an hour long zumba type class.

wow great job!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

thanks for your input. which exercise helped you and is there a way i can do that at home? (signing up for a gym isn't in the budget for me yet)

No specific exercise helped reduce body fat %--all of my lifting moves contributed, though squats and deadlifts have strengthened my core the most. I followed the Stronglifts 5x5 program before moving onto Madcow, and now I'm doing 5/3/1. These are all "lifting" programs that can generally be done with barbells OR dumbbells, and detail what/when you should do.

I do all of the following using heavy weights (heavy being relative to each person--my upper body is still pretty weak): bench press, overhead press, deadlifts, and squats. Those are the big lifts.

I also do barbell rows, dumbbell rows, glute bridges, and occasional bicep curls, as well. I do leg curls and leg extensions as well, but those require an extension for a bench (so, an extra investment)--but I mostly do them because I like them. These are all called "accessory" lifts (except for rows, which is a big lift in Stronglifts), which I add on for further strengthening of my body in order to help me lift more weight on the big lifts. You can very easily reach your goals doing only the four or five main lifts.

You can buy dumbbells cheap from Craig's list or second-hand stores (If you have a "Play it Again Sports" or some type of thrift athletic store). I've invested in a home barbell and bench, as well. You'd be amazed at how cheaply you get exercise equipment from people who bought it and never did anything with it!
  • jigglyone
    Options

No specific exercise helped reduce body fat %--all of my lifting moves contributed, though squats and deadlifts have strengthened my core the most. I followed the Stronglifts 5x5 program before moving onto Madcow, and now I'm doing 5/3/1. These are all "lifting" programs that can generally be done with barbells OR dumbbells, and detail what/when you should do.

I do all of the following using heavy weights (heavy being relative to each person--my upper body is still pretty weak): bench press, overhead press, deadlifts, and squats. Those are the big lifts.

I also do barbell rows, dumbbell rows, glute bridges, and occasional bicep curls, as well. I do leg curls and leg extensions as well, but those require an extension for a bench (so, an extra investment)--but I mostly do them because I like them. These are all called "accessory" lifts (except for rows, which is a big lift in Stronglifts), which I add on for further strengthening of my body in order to help me lift more weight on the big lifts. You can very easily reach your goals doing only the four or five main lifts.

You can buy dumbbells cheap from Craig's list or second-hand stores (If you have a "Play it Again Sports" or some type of thrift athletic store). I've invested in a home barbell and bench, as well. You'd be amazed at how cheaply you get exercise equipment from people who bought it and never did anything with it!

i can use dumbbells? thats great! never knew that, thx for the tips!
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    lately on MFP, many people suggest lifting weights for a leaner, flatter belly. I dont like lifting to be honest, I am more of a walking/jogging girl myself. so that being said, will i still get the flat belly with my cardio or do i NEED to lift?

No. Planks, pushups and other ab exercises will help. Obviously losing weight and tightening up is going to play a huge factor in that so the cardio is clearly the best way to get this accomplished.

Having said that lifting weights periodically is a great thing for overall health and vitality. Toned muscles look better.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    lately on MFP, many people suggest lifting weights for a leaner, flatter belly. I dont like lifting to be honest, I am more of a walking/jogging girl myself. so that being said, will i still get the flat belly with my cardio or do i NEED to lift?

No. Planks, pushups and other ab exercises will help. Obviously losing weight and tightening up is going to play a huge factor in that so the cardio is clearly the best way to get this accomplished.

Having said that lifting weights periodically is a great thing for overall health and vitality. Toned muscles look better.

what????