Motivation in the cold northern states

Options
13»

Replies

• morschjodo
    morschjodo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am from MN and definitely feel your frustration! This summer I had been able to get out a lot for walks after work and really enjoyed it. I have a 18 month old son that I take with me but now that it is so cold I don't really want to take him out (he started freezing when it was 65-70 out, I can't imagine him staying warm now). He was a preemie and still has a difficult time keeping his temperature regulated if the environment is to the extreme. And he won't keep his hat and mittens on for more than 2 minutes. If we want to walk outside this winter I need to get him a big snowsuit that covers hands and feet which shouldn't be too difficult since he's still only in 12 month clothes. But to get out for his sanity and mine we usually go to the mall (which is what I did before I had him). It was really hard last year because we weren't supposed to have him around big crowds of people so we did end up getting an elliptical at home but I have a hard time forcing myself to do that. I get bored but we did move a TV near it now so I could watch movies. Workout DVDs have worked better for me, or the Xbox Kinect workouts. I was going to get a gym membership but we had to change daycare providers and the new one is $80 more a month... there went my gym money :(
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    totally get it living in Mass and having lived in Maine for 2 years. I work out in the morning when it is light, cause I hate bundling and if I wait until I get home from work it's too dark and depressing. I have DVD's, Wi and an elliptical at home, but I also have the luxury of a cheap gym next to my office so I can pop over at lunch and hit the weight machines and treadmill.

I also take huge amounts of Vitamin D b/c my doctor tests mine and it's almost negligible. I just started also taking fish oil and I am feeling more energetic.

The one other thing that helps me, (but drives my hubby bonkers) is that as soon as I get up and as soon as I get home I turn on ALL the lights in the house as I'm prone to SAD. I've also been looking into desktop light therapy system as a treadmill desk for work.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Ask your dr. about seasonal affective disorder. He/she may suggest vitamin D to help. I like to walk around in the dark, lol, so I can' really relate, but maybe having a headlamp so you could see in front of you would help, too. And look for outside activities that you really can enjoy-snowshoeing, cross country skiing, even pulling kids or grandkids around on a sled if you have enough snow.

I live in Wyoming, so I know about cold and wind, even though we prolly have a little more daylight. Sometimes when I just can't bear to go out in the cold windy weather, I just do Walk Away the Pounds at home in front of the tv. Mostly, though, I just bundle up with wool socks and layers and a ski mask thingy and go outside as much as I can.

Good luck in the frozen north!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada :) and i love hearing all you Americans complain about the cold.

Please do tell me more about how cold it is (not you Alaska you win this one), and how dark it is when you get home from work.....

:laugh:

You do know that there is absolutely no difference between the weather in Upper Michigan and Southern Ontario, also no difference in weather between Maine, Vermont and Quebec,

well you get my point. Americans from Northern states have as much "cold cred" than all the Canadian who live in lower Canada.
    And let's be honest, except for the 10 people who live Nunavut and the Northwest Territories, most Canadians live in the lower half, which is about, what all 35-40 million of you.

Peace! and let's share the cold cred.

the-rock-clapping.gif

Yep, as soon as we step (literally step) foot across the border from Minnesota to Manitoba or Ontario the temperature drops like 60 degrees......it is a strange phenomenon.

To the OP, I'm usually as active if not more during the winter....shoveling/clearing snow, hockey, skiing, basketball, taking care of the backyard ice rink as well as normal gym time. There's all kinds of stuff to do outside.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm in Ontario so I definitely get it. Winter means a lot of DVDs and Youtube workouts. I do want to try snow shoeing this year though.
  • abickford82
    Options
    Just DVD it. I went from a climate like yours (born and raised for 29 years in Pennsylvania), to rainy, cold, and super windy to Washington state. I live on Whidbey Island so it's always more windy than it even is in Seattle and it's still as unbearable as it was in the cold, dark, snowy northern states. When my fitness level was lower I did the 30 day shred, Cathe weight lifting videos, and Slim in 6. Good start if you're not ready to do something like Insanity or p90X
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I spent a year in La Crosse, WI and all I did was use my extensive dvd collection... or I'd watch movies and lift weights (at that time the highest weight I used was 5lbs) and do calisthenics / jumping jacks / march in place for the whole duration of the movie.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I understand. I live in New Hampshire (but both my parents are Minnesotans!) and the winters are long. Since you don't mind being outdoors on the weekends, maybe build some exercise sessions around that? Treks through the woods, snowshoeing, cross country skiing...so many possibilities. Also, don't overlook the more mudane activities that can be done outside in the dark with just outdoor lighting: snow shoveling, wood carrying etc. I recently stacked almost three cords of wood. No gym time required.

If you don't need shoveling, maybe you could help out an elderly neighbor? There are so many ways to stay active in cold climate.

Also, you might regularly check websites/garage sales for exercise equipment. People can practically give equipment away (and some do make it free) because it takes up space and most people,sadly, don't stick with an exercise plan.

Best Wishes!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am from Minnesota too. Cold, snow and wind do not bother me if you are dressed for it. I like walking in the winter, but also will not walk in the dark. It limits the hours of daylight available to walk outside, especially if you work or go to school full time. I work out in the gym at work M-F. Long walks on the weekends outside. Did it last year, will do the same this winter.
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada :) and i love hearing all you Americans complain about the cold.

Please do tell me more about how cold it is (not you Alaska you win this one), and how dark it is when you get home from work.....

You do know that there is absolutely no difference between the weather in Upper Michigan and Southern Ontario, also no difference in weather between Maine, Vermont and Quebec,

well you get my point. Americans from Northern states have as much "cold cred" than all the Canadian who live in lower Canada.
    And let's be honest, except for the 10 people who live Nunavut and the Northwest Territories, most Canadians live in the lower half, which is about, what all 35-40 million of you.

I dont live in southern Canada and us canadians from actual cold parts of canada harrass the Canadians who are from the southern parts just as much. But good on you for knowing some geography :)
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bumping so I cant add my two penny worth tomorrw....far to sleepy right now :yawn:
  • chickitypoo
    Options

I dont live in southern Canada and us canadians from actual cold parts of canada harrass the Canadians who are from the southern parts just as much. But good on you for knowing some geography :)

Well if you don't live in Southern Canada, then you would be excluded from my comparison. And good for you living where it's so cold your nose hairs freezes as soon as you step outside; it does build character, doesn't it? I suppose it makes you superior to those living in chilly but not cold lower Canada/Northern USA. meh, you win?!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I'm in southern Ohio, so it's usually not totally awful here, but I just dread winter. I have to layer up, jump up and down a few times and tell myself I can do this, and hit the door running. Usually the first mile is the worst, but after that I'm warmed up enough it's not so bad. My best advice is just make sure you are dressed super warm...the dark I can deal with, but the cold just saps the life out of me.
  • punkyjones
    punkyjones Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I live in North Dakota so I'm feeling the UGHH of winter coming on as well. I own a stationary bike and pedal it as I watch stand up comedy on Netflix! I use a heart rate monitor, too.

I can't imagine doing anything outside around here during the fall/winter!
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm in northern Wisconsin...so I feel your pain. I am a member of a gym, plus I don't work until the early afternoon so I am able to get out in the daylight. But I find that when I start to look in the cupboards I either have to go to sleep (most of the time that doesn't happen) or I do yoga or a DVD. I know you said you have DVDs. I also have a jump rope and TRX that I hook up when I am watching a movies or TV show. See that stuff sitting there....I feel bad letting it collect dust. I purposefully put my workout equipment IN MY WAY.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    WElllll I can't be of much help b/c my solution was to MOVE> it worked. Probably saved my life.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Good for you?
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Chiming in from Michigan...I agree, the lunchtime walk helps a lot. I have a pair of boots and Yak Trax that are on standby so I don't fall on my booty. I am lucky to have a window next to my work station, and I pull the blinds up in the morning in an attempt to take in all the sunshine I can get. I try to do my runs when I get home at 4:00 pm, since it's getting dark shortly after 5:00 now. My concern is more about the dark and being safe than the how horrible the weather is(except the ice).

And when it's nasty and dark, I think back to summertime and remember that our summers are BEAUTIFUL. :)
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    I currently live in Oklahoma but I did live up in Alaska for 6 years prior. I'm big into the chores the colder weather provides: shoveling snow, chopping wood (no idea how outdoorsy you are but this is something we did all winter in both Alaska and now in Oklahoma), trimming trees, etc.

Now, if you're more of a city girl than I'd recommend brisk walks during the day and DVDs in the evening. I'm also big into my Wii-fit.
  • cjcolorado
    cjcolorado Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was also just thinking, not knowing if you live in a college/university town in MN, how you could go on campus and walk the halls there, instead. In Duluth, we had the tunnels that connected everything so that you could go quite awhile while still being inside. That's another option, and probably do-able in the evenings, too.