Is your weight loss journey being kept under wraps?

Options
Hey guys... So...

I wondered if anybody else is doing the whole weight loss thing and not telling people who realistically don't NEED to know?
My willpower is usually RUBBISH... but this time round I am determined to lose 4/5 stone by the time next summer rolls round (I lost 19lbs in the past 3 weeks on the Atkins diet) so i have obviously told my partner, best friend and my mum...

I guess I kinda want people to SEE the difference next year when I come out from under my baggy jumpers and tracksuit bottoms!

Anyone else in a similar boat??? support needed! :)

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I didn't really tell anyone till they started noticing. Even then, I don't say much about it. My entire family lives very far away from me (other than my daughter which is why I am still here) so they didn't really know it was happening until they began to notice on FB. Now everyone knows, but it's not really that easy to keep it a secret when you have lost 30% of your body weight which is about where I am at.
  • losttogain
    losttogain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am constantly talking about my attempt at weight loss with my two best friends, but I don't know if they think I'm really serious about it. Hell, sometimes I don't know how serious I really am. Honestly, I'm kind of keeping it from my mother because I think that she wouldn't be supportive because it would just make her feel worse about her weight and how helpless she feels. She's not interested in change.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I didn't say anything to anyone except my hubby, my kids and my punk kid sister -- she stalks my diary and I stalk hers, as always, we're in this thing together. After 20 pounds, people started to notice and most of them have said they didn't even think I needed to lose before but that I do look better and seem to have more energy. :happy:
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I told everybody that way I can't quit cause now everyone knows. I started and stopped 7 times last year and it was easy to quit because no one knew.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone about my weightloss. Most the people I work with kind of tease me and tempt me--all in good fun. I'm not bothered by it. The only thing I don't like is that people try to give you their advice on weightloss and ESPECIALLY when they tell you that you are doing something wrong. "Umm, I've lost 32lbs. I must be doing something right". So, I can understand keeping it under wraps. Also, and not saying this is you, people are afraid to fail so sometimes they don't like telling anyone because they don't want anyone to know they failed. That kind of thing motivates me--so that is why I tell everyone. I want people to hold me accountable.
  • mm331133
    mm331133 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I haven't told anyone unless they noticed or said something about it other than that im out here to lose weight with out the spectators.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I told my husband but otherwise I haven't told anyone. I don't feel the need to announce things I'm doing and I really hate people in my business. They'll be grilling me and asking for updates and offering "support" and I'll just get turned off.
  • mm331133
    mm331133 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone about my weightloss. Most the people I work with kind of tease me and tempt me--all in good fun. I'm not bothered by it. The only thing I don't like is that people try to give you their advice on weightloss and ESPECIALLY when they tell you that you are doing something wrong. "Umm, I've lost 32lbs. I must be doing something right". So, I can understand keeping it under wraps. Also, and not saying this is you, people are afraid to fail so sometimes they don't like telling anyone because they don't want anyone to know they failed. That kind of thing motivates me--so that is why I tell everyone. I want people to hold me accountable.

that is so annoying I cant stand when people tell you I lost this amount of weight doing this or that. I just look at them and say well just because it worked for you and your body, it doesn't mean its gonna work on this one.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone at work. I wear a uniform (khaki shorts and polos in summer) and didn't switch sizes until the cold weather came - when I wore pants for the first time, I wore a smaller shirt and BAM everyone knew I had lost over 20 pounds. It was a great feeling when everyone noticed.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about my weight loss to others unless asked.

I found that by doing this it is my journey to better health not one that is monitored by others. Now that it is noticeable I get people commenting about my food choices like they have a say so in it, be it for good or bad. I also get that I must have had weight loss surgery a lot from people who haven't seen me in six or more months.
  • GeorgieT23
    Options
    Very interesting responses... I think for me, I got all excited before, felt positive about losing... blah blah blah... THEN when it came down actually dieting and losing, I felt alone for whatever reason... so this time, I have only told the people I know will be there for me and support me... In my head... I'm excited about people noticing majorly once the weather gets better and im (hopefully) in smaller clothes! thats what gives me the buzz to keep going...
  • katiefbe
    katiefbe Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've only recently rejoined MFP but have been losing weight prior to this. I haven't told anyone and have no intention to tell anyone about my weight loss plans.

I've tried to lose weight in the past and my family have consistently managed to be obstructive or less than supportive. They mean well but will comment 'oh you've lost weight' before trying to feed me a day's worth of food in one sitting. Attempts to turn food down is met with guilt tripping. To them, food=love.

This time round I'm keeping my mouth shut (both literally and figuratively). I eat before I go to visit so I have an excuse not to eat with them and any gifts of chocolates etc will be taken into work to share around. I have repeatedly asked them not to buy me chocolate so I refuse to feel guilty about 'wasting' it.

Clearly as weight (I hope!) comes off people will notice but I'm not telling them.
  • GeorgieT23
    Options
    I don't talk about my weight loss to others unless asked.

I found that by doing this it is my journey to better health not one that is monitored by others. Now that it is noticeable I get people commenting about my food choices like they have a say so in it, be it for good or bad. I also get that I must have had weight loss surgery a lot from people who haven't seen me in six or more months.

Oh of course lol cos NOBODY could POSSIBLY lose weight by eating right and exercising lol ;)
    CONGRATS on your 89lb weight loss... thats amazing!
  • GeorgieT23
    Options
    I've only recently rejoined MFP but have been losing weight prior to this. I haven't told anyone and have no intention to tell anyone about my weight loss plans.

I've tried to lose weight in the past and my family have consistently managed to be obstructive or less than supportive. They mean well but will comment 'oh you've lost weight' before trying to feed me a day's worth of food in one sitting. Attempts to turn food down is met with guilt tripping. To them, food=love.

This time round I'm keeping my mouth shut (both literally and figuratively). I eat before I go to visit so I have an excuse not to eat with them and any gifts of chocolates etc will be taken into work to share around. I have repeatedly asked them not to buy me chocolate so I refuse to feel guilty about 'wasting' it.

Clearly as weight (I hope!) comes off people will notice but I'm not telling them.

Same here! :)
  • friggie
    friggie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My hubby knows as well as my daughter. I also told my two co-workers.
    I didn't think it was other peoples business what I do, but they are noticing more and more and commenting on how good I look. Except for my Mother In Law, she doesn't encourage me at all, she just goes on about how thin she is now due to health illnesses.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I told everybody that way I can't quit cause now everyone knows. I started and stopped 7 times last year and it was easy to quit because no one knew.

Yup...this is me. I'd be embarrassed to quit now.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've told those in the inner sanctum of my life, but not so much exterior. I always said before I was "unapologetically round bodied" and no intention of ever losing weight but then medical issues stepped (not what you would think --- I had warded off all the obvious with good lifestyle but the hernias I never saw coming) ... anyway. Those who know me know that I was very confident in my fatness and if I tell them now I've changed my mind then I have to go into this looong complicated story about cancer that I no longer have and how it all came about and the emergencies and the plan and it just isn't their business.

I don't want my fat friends feeling judged. I don't want them to take their insecurities out on me. I don't want to be sabotaged (one lady I told at work after she noticed, deliberately brought a bag of candy to work the next day and made a point of bringing it to me and saying, "I can't take no for an answer! You deserve candy!") I was taken aback. It was so obvious. We had spent an hour the day before talking about our weight histories and how she had always stayed slim in a very fat family because she just couldn't deal with the shame of it all. It was bizarre.

I don't need the comments, mostly. I'm very picky about who I let into my headspace these days. But I do relish and look forward to a few more jaw drops. They're starting already. :)
  • kaysmom13
    kaysmom13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I initially did but talking to my family can be discouraging especially since I'm the biggest one,and they don't really think I can lose weight.So as far as progress is concerned no I'm keeping it to myself.Only mfp's know :)
  • kfelton1226
    kfelton1226 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Haven't told anyone outside my house, and no one has noticed so far (at least no one has said anything), but I changed jobs in June....
    I only see family at holidays, so I'm looking forward to seeing how observant they are this Christmas.
  • Swany2
    Swany2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I haven't necessarily kept my weight loss a secret but I also haven't been announcing it to the world. For me, this is my journey and I guess only I really need to know. I also felt that by not telling everyone, I wasn't putting myself under undue pressure.

Needless to say I have lost 15kg (33lb) so far and feel great. Have dropped from a size 18 to a size14, and it is starting to look quite obvious.

What amazes me though, is the amount of people, who I would say are close friends, look me up and down and don't say a word.

But who cares, I feel great and that's all that matters!!!!!:happy: