Counting Calories works...

Options
So, in case ANYONE wants to argue that counting calories is a waste of time or not an accurate way of basing your weightloss--keep reading.

BMR 1600 x 7days = 11,200 to keep me functioning
TDEE 2100 x 7 days= 14,700 to maintain my current weight

Last week I ate 11,240 calories (I factored in another 300 calories because I'm sure my actual calorie count was probably off a little). So if you take 14,700 (TDEE) and subtract 11,240 (calories intake) that leaves a balance of 3460. One pound=3500 calories. I lost .8lbs this week. That is pretty close!!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing I can do to get things a little more accurate is to weigh everything with my scale.

Can you tell I'm an accountant? haha

Replies

• Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Love it. I'm an Administrative Assistant and I LOVE lists and spreadsheets, too!

I kept my weight and measurements in an Excel spreadsheet over the course of the year of my weight loss. Weighed myself every day but only recorded in the spreadsheet each Saturday. For my TDEE I'd picked an amount that would give me an average of a 1.5-lb weight loss a week.

Over the course of two months, I noticed that the average was indeed ~1.45 a week. So I started "predicting" each 10-lb loss based on the preliminary numbers.

I nailed each and every 10-lb loss within a few days, all the way through to 70 lbs. :) In fact, I hit 70 two weeks early. :D

I LOVE that you can do this by the numbers. For me, this was the "control" I needed - I NEEDED to know this was a trustworthy process. And the numbers proved it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    So, in case ANYONE wants to argue that counting calories is a waste of time or not an accurate way of basing your weightloss--keep reading.

I can't imagine anyone here arguing with that.

Congrats on the .8 loss!!!
  • Brandolin11
    Options

Believe me - I've gotten into some *heated* debates with girlfriends about this, who insisted that counting calories was too "legalistic" and wouldn't work long-term.

I'm here to prove it isn't and it does. :)
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    congrats on the Loss....

<<<<work in finance too and love my spreadsheets with intake overages/unders and averages....:drinker:

But yes definately dig the scale out you might be pleasantly surprised.

I was when I weighed one of my favorite snacks Cottage cheese

1 serving per container=1/2 c (125g)...trust me 125g is more then half a cup.
  • cbwill0220
    cbwill0220 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would like to know how you guys did this... (I'm new) and also work in accounting so this really appeals to me in a numbers sense!! It's probably the motivation I need!! My BMR is 1464 and my TDEE is 2013 --- I plan on taking in about 1400 calories a day and working out 5-6 days a week cardo 45 min. and strength training...

My goal is to lose about 25-30 lbs.... Hopefully in 6 months.

Does this sound about right?

I'm 23 yrs old, 5 ft 1 in. and currently about 144 lbs...
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    congrats on the Loss....

<<<<work in finance too and love my spreadsheets with intake overages/unders and averages....:drinker:

But yes definately dig the scale out you might be pleasantly surprised.

I was when I weighed one of my favorite snacks Cottage cheese

1 serving per container=1/2 c (125g)...trust me 125g is more then half a cup.

Oooh! That is a good surprise, and I love, love, love cottage cheese!
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    That's great...what was/is your daily average?
  • _jayciemarie_
    Options
    I would like to know how you guys did this... (I'm new) and also work in accounting so this really appeals to me in a numbers sense!! It's probably the motivation I need!! My BMR is 1464 and my TDEE is 2013 --- I plan on taking in about 1400 calories a day and working out 5-6 days a week cardo 45 min. and strength training...

Well, just in food alone you should lose about 1.2lbs/week. If you factor in your exercise calories and don't eat them--that is all loss. So, you could easily lose 1.5lbs-1.75lbs a week.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Set MFP to lose 1 pound a week. Log / weigh / measure all of your food. Eat your exercise calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Well I would start off with more then 1400 calories if you are going to be working out that much.

If your TDEE is 2013 then subtract 20% (appx 450 calories) and make that your goal.

If you are doing weights make sure you are getting 1g protien for every pound of LBM (lean body mass) and you will acheive what you want.

Oh one last thing don't view food as bad...if you want pizza have pizza just stay at your calorie goal, and don't beat yourself up if you go over a bit everyonce in a while...
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have to count calories because in the end that is what all diets do in what ever form they want to do it.

To lose weight in a healthy manner one must eat fewer calories that one uses while making sure that one is eating a balanced diet to keep the body healthy. The hard part is eating fewer calories while making sure that one is eating a balanced diet to keep the body healthy.
  • Brandolin11
    Options

Enter your info here and it'll tell you everything you need to know. :)

http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/tools/Calculator-Daily-Calorie.html
  • _jayciemarie_
    Options
    That's great...what was/is your daily average?

I try to get between 1400 and 1600. I had days in there where I was over by ALOT and under as well. I believe my diary is public. So, my average last week was in the 1200's. However--when I was netting 1200 calories I was losing 2lbs a week.
  • pdunville
    pdunville Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump for a save
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Believe me - I've gotten into some *heated* debates with girlfriends about this, who insisted that counting calories was too "legalistic" and wouldn't work long-term.

I think she was just referring to the fact that this is a calorie counting website...the vast majority of MFPers are calorie counting.:drinker:
  • Brandolin11
    Options

I think she was just referring to the fact that this is a calorie counting website...the vast majority of MFPers are calorie counting.:drinker:

Good point - I totally missed the word, "here"! :)