Loose Skin?

Options
I'm 5'3 and about 160 pounds. I've been overweight all of my teen years (I was thin as a child), but I'm worried about loose skin after weight loss.
My heighest weight was 170. I've been losing about 1.4 pounds a week so it'll take me a good 9/10 months to get to my goal at the rate I'm going (don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled at the thought of this).

So my question is, should I be worried about loose skin and what can I do the prevent it?

Thanks!

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine dear you are very young and haven't been at an extreme weight don't worry best of luck to you
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3", and have been heavy since I was little. At one point in time, I was as heavy as 260lb's. After losing that, I had stayed around 210, until lately. In the last 2 years, I've lost 65lb's, and now down to 144. I also have had 2 kids, and my belly got ridiculously huge with my last one. Gained about 40lb's with him, plus he weighed 10lb's. I'm also 34, and I think age plays a big part. I do have loose skin, but for the most part, it's really only an issue with my belly. Also genetics play a big part as well. Some people are just born with great skin, and never even get stretch marks. I was not one of those lucky ones, lol. I can say that I'd much rather have some loose skin and stretch marks, than all of that excess fat on me. There's no way of knowing if you will definately have loose skin, but it's a possibility. I've tried bio oil, coco butter, and neither of them worked for me, but I didn't use them religiously either. Also, I used the coco butter during my pregnancy, but not the bio oil. Tried that one after I already had the loose skin and stretch marks, with no noticeable changes. It's about $30 at Walmart for the bio oil. I guess, if you have the money, it wouldn't hurt to start using it now, but in my opinion, I don't think it helps. One thing you can do, is keep hydrated, and take some vitamin E supplements. Good luck! :)))
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Thank you both! Very helpful :)

I'm gonna start doing things now to prevent it in the long run.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine dear you are very young and haven't been at an extreme weight don't worry best of luck to you

^^pretty much this.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    No way to tell. Loose skin and stretch marks are genetic (to a point). If you didn't gain and lose a TON of weight or too quickly, then you probably shouldn't worry.

With that said, drinks lots of water and keep you skin healthy otherwise and if they do appear, it may be less.

If you do get stretch marks or lose skin, wear it with pride (or you'll have to go under the knife to get rid of it).
  • Miss_Kaz80
    Miss_Kaz80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had loose skin at he end of my dieting but it gradually pulled back albeit skin damaged from stretch marks.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Okay thank you!

I'm starting to exfoliate and moisturize my skin and I already drink a lot of water.

I don't mind stretch marks as much cause they fade but I do have some.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Bump!
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Bump
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Bump
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    that's pretty much all you can do. (I've got loose skin, so I always check threads about it, just in case someone has any new insight.) a friend of mine wears compression clothing when she works out, and says she hasn't had any issues with skins. but she's young, like you, so maybe her skin was just more willing to bounce back. one of the many sites I researched on, when I first started freaking out about this problem said that, depending on how long the skin had been stretched out, it could take up to about two years for the skin to shrink down.

but then I read on here, one person said they'd rather have loose skin than internal health problems from being overweight. I try to focus on that perspective. :)
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I was worried about that also when I started losing.

I'm also 5'3, highest weight was in the 240's and started with MFP at 235 lbs. I'm down to 180 lbs and have noticed with a decent diet and regular exercise my skin is slowly bouncing back, not saggy as I thought. I carry most of my weight in my mid-section and have had two kids.
    I try to eat nutrient rich foods, drink mostly water. I do both cardio & weight lifting.

Slow and steady weight loss is the way to go. It gives your body time to adjust.

21525558.png
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just started taking 2 Tbs a day of unflavored gelatin powder in a cup of tea, as I have read that it can help with skin elasticity. I can tell myself I am not being crazy since it is also commonly recommended by docs for joint pain. Lotions with collagen don't work as the molecules are too large to be absorbed through the skin. We shall see if it is helpful, or not.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Thank you so much for replying, the feedback here is amazing!

That sounds like an interesting remedy, Bobbie, and thanks for the tips on the lotion! So I'll find one without collagen.
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you have loose skin will depend on many things including genetics.

I do have loose skin but am noticing that the body is slowly absorbing this extra skin. Will is absorb it all, probably not especially at my age, but I am not going to worry about it at this point I am busy living life.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'3 and a bit older than you, 31.

I started out at close to 200lb and was overweight from about age 8 years, now I'm down to about 140lb. I've been losing about 1.2lb per week, though more slowly lately. At the beginning I was expecting to have some saggy skin to be honest. But so far I've had only very minor problems with loose skin. Probably a little bit on the top of my legs and lower belly and chest, but nothing that noticeable, even in my underwear. I certainly don't feel self conscious about it in the locker room at the gym! I hope with a few more pounds gone plus exercise those problem areas will also reduce and tighten a bit.

Don't know if it has helped but I've been active throughout my weight loss. Walking then running for cardio. Body weight exercise then gym weight training for strength. Graduated to the next level as my fitness increased!

So my suggestion would be to make sure you get active as well as reduce the calories. And don't rush things. Try to keep happy and healthy while losing the weight.