CROSSFIT

Options
Hello MFP!

I am wondering... have any of you tried crossfit? Currently are a member or been a member? Please tell me about your experience! I am considering joining a crossfit club/gym and would love to see how your first day was or the results you are getting.

Thank you!!

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    It's like Scientology but with weights. Good luck.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP!

I am wondering... have any of you tried crossfit? Currently are a member or been a member? Please tell me about your experience! I am considering joining a crossfit club/gym and would love to see how your first day was or the results you are getting.

Thank you!!

If you can try it for a couple days at no cost, then give it a shot.
    Personally the concept is neat, but most places in my area is $115/month and up.....that is way to much for me.

I currently am a member of a gym in my area, $33/month and they have had "crossfit" / functional training equipment in there for the past year.....

But find an activity that keeps you motivated is what I say.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP!

Thank you!!

Check out this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/99-crossfit-love

I have been going for three months and I LOVE it. Like anything else though, there are good boxes and bad boxes. Good coaches and bad coaches. Go check one out, ask questions and see if it's for you. Good luck!!
  • Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit from home. The boxes around my house are just too expensive for me to justify.
    The thing about Crossfit is that the main crossfit site jumped the shark years ago. Their workouts are almost totally random and often not very well structured, but many of the major boxes around the country have their own programming that is pretty awesome depending on what your goals are. I bought a used weight bench with a squat rack and some used weights and just do the workouts in my garage.
    Google Invictus Crossfit or OPT Experience Crossfit for two examples with decent programming. I do like doing something different every day.
  • jenna762001
    jenna762001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been working out at a local affiliate for almost 2 years on and off between marathon training. I love it, the results have been great, but it isn't all perfect. Crossfit is a fitness trend and I think I'm too old or lame maybe to get into that aspect. I don't call it a box, its a gym, I don't wear shirts about my snatch or what a beast I am, and I don't eat paleo. As exercise I'd compare it to circuit training with heavier weights and higher intensity. Injury level is high, somewhat due to the competitive nature of it, somewhat due to poor trainers at some of the gyms and somewhat do to the nature of the patrons themselves. Many of these people are extreme and competitive and just like any other competitive sport, there will be injuries. You're likely to work harder than you would on your own or even in a different sort of fitness class. Its easy to get swept away in the "hulk" like atmosphere. For me it has helped me improve my cardio conditioning and I have steadily improved my strength. I am very prone to DOMS though and Crossfit can cause me a lot of pain for days because of the high intensity I'm working at, even if its only 20 minutes and I have a hard time slowing myself down even when sometimes I should. The people there are very helpful and generally more down to earth than you'd expect I think. At least where I go. They're very friendly and supportive. Trainers and other patrons alike. It is very important that the trainers are paying attention and mine do this well. They need to be watching and rotating constantly to help with form and avoid injury. Its worth checking out for a free class. Some people will love it, some won't. If you do love it though, you're sure to get more fit and stronger by doing it. The biggest bummer is the cost of membership. Its EXPENSIVE!