Cardio then weights or weights to cardio??

Options
2»

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Weights then cardio to experience best if both worlds if you are just doing cardio for the weight loss.

Actually, if you can pull it off: weights..eat something...cardio a bit later in the day.

I have a two hour window in my morning to really get in my work outs.
    I work a full time job, then home to a one year old.
    Most of the time I'll take my daughter on a 60 min walk and I'll jog in intervals
    when I get home from work :)

I hear ya. I've got a 16 month old. I've got to get up before the sun is up to hit he gym on the morning. Then off to full time job on time...eat and re-energize during the day and then hit up my cardio at night. Makes for a long day but you know that comes with the territory of working parents. Great job to you. I know its not easy.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited to do this :D

I just hope I don't look like a total goof figuring out how / form lol
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options
    Weights then cardio to experience best if both worlds if you are just doing cardio for the weight loss.

Actually, if you can pull it off: weights..eat something...cardio a bit later in the day.

I have a two hour window in my morning to really get in my work outs.
    I work a full time job, then home to a one year old.
    Most of the time I'll take my daughter on a 60 min walk and I'll jog in intervals
    when I get home from work :)

I hear ya. I've got a 16 month old. I've got to get up before the sun is up to hit he gym on the morning. Then off to full time job on time...eat and re-energize during the day and then hit up my cardio at night. Makes for a long day but you know that comes with the territory of working parents. Great job to you. I know its not easy.

aww congrats, and good job to you too! thank you for all the advice!

you look great by the way! :)
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options
    Weights first everytime as it is more strenuous than cardio so you need all your energy for it. Also some struggle to keep up intensity after cardio

I haven't noticed being too tired, but maybe I'm use to it or I just don't know the feeling until I try switching it around.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

what program are you going to do? don't just go in there and make up your own ****...do an actual tried and true lifting program for optimal results.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Whichever you're actually going to do.

For me I do 30 min. of cardio and then my weights because if I don't get the cardio done and out of the way I am just too tired after lifting to even THINK about hopping on a TM and doing a run. Tuesday I didn't do cardio but I hit the weights hard. When I was done with the leg press machine I almost fell down when I got off because my legs were spent. I was exhausted and there was no way I'd be able to hop on some other equipment and do cardio.

It works for me and I'm really not too tired to lift after.

In the end it's a matter of preference and what you're going to do and stick to.
  • Visique
    Options
    get that diet on point and it wouldnt matter which is first. But weights first would be more beneficial. GL
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the one hour of cardio first thing in the morning and then hit the weights for over 15 yrs now. With a good diet it will keep you looking lean year around. The reason I do that because my cardio health is more important to me than gaining more muscle. If you're hungry after your cardio, then try a protien shake first thing in the morning and before you go to sleep at night. This will feed your muscle while they are recoving from the hard workout you did that day while you're resting.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    Options

what program are you going to do? don't just go in there and make up your own ****...do an actual tried and true lifting program for optimal results.

I don't have one, but I will be researching one tonight.
  • MissKriss3
    MissKriss3 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If it is a day at the gym I am lifting (wait, everyday is a lifting day....) I lift first then finish with a little cardio (if any at all). I want to use all my energy to lift!!!!! if i did cardio first i would feel exhausted to lift.

My routine is similar, I go to the gym every 2nd day and I always lift. As far as cardio I do 20 minutes every other visit, before lifting if someone is using the squat rack or I need to warm up my muscles, but it's usually after lifting & I go to Zumba classes every other Saturday. IMO 60 minutes of cardio is too much.