BMR / Calories Burned / Am I getting this right?

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    RoyBeck: I know guys burn more calories than women in general...and it does depend on your weight too. I'll knock 30% off for calories next time I exercise and just stick to that number until I can get a HRM.

Also...how do you 'quote' people?

You quote people by clicking on "quote" below the comment you want to quote (below their ticker, if they have one.

Regarding the 300-calorie treadmill workout in 20 minutes, that works out to 900 calorie per hour workout, which is really pretty darn intense. I'm a 5'4" moderately obese woman, and I walk/jog outside on hilly roads at 3 to 3.5 miles an hour (so roughly in the middle of your range), and I use database entries that are around 300 calories an hour. Obviously, over the Internet, none of us can guess how intense your workouts are, but it seems unlikely they're the equivalent of 900 calories an hour. If you feel like it's moderately intense, I would log it as 150 to 200 calories.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I upped on the Monday, and was down 2lbs by Saturday, then I continue to drop 1lb every 10 days or so. It is slow but I'm only 20lbs from my top goal, so slow suits me. Also I have IBS so my body is a bit slow with digestion. I'm currently stuck due to being ill (suspected glandular fever, 3 weeks and counting...)
    I aim for about 10 glasses of water a day then fruit tea on top. Which is a lot; however it's helping with skin so i'm sticking with it.
    I use a Polar Heart rate monitor to judge calories, It is always much lower than machines or MFP sets burn as, but if you use machines just only eat 60-70% of calories back.
    I'm sure if you exercise you will see a change in inches as well as weight. When I first started I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, and in the month I only lost 2lbs but changed my body shape and lost inches.
    Good luck with finding something that works for you- I'm still trying to figure it out but as long as the number goes down not up, then I'm okay with it- I know I'm getting healthier.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Burn 300 calories in 20 minutes? You do realize MFP heavily overestimates burns, right?

That is easily attainable, especially if moving a lot of mass.

And MFP exercise calories for walking and jogging flat, if you really do that pace, is going to be more correct than a HRM without enough stats.

Should match good treadmills where you can punch in your own weight.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Regarding the 300-calorie treadmill workout in 20 minutes, that works out to 900 calorie per hour workout, which is really pretty darn intense.

At 220 pounds, it's basically 2 miles running, which is well within the realm of doable. The treadmill should be at 2% or so incline, too.

For someone out of shape, that would be challenging, but it would only be a matter of weeks of C25k to work up to it.
  • heybales
    Options
    RoyBeck: I know guys burn more calories than women in general...and it does depend on your weight too. I'll knock 30% off for calories next time I exercise and just stick to that number until I can get a HRM.

Also...how do you 'quote' people?

You quote people by clicking on "quote" below the comment you want to quote (below their ticker, if they have one.

Regarding the 300-calorie treadmill workout in 20 minutes, that works out to 900 calorie per hour workout, which is really pretty darn intense. I'm a 5'4" moderately obese woman, and I walk/jog outside on hilly roads at 3 to 3.5 miles an hour (so roughly in the middle of your range), and I use database entries that are around 300 calories an hour. Obviously, over the Internet, none of us can guess how intense your workouts are, but it seems unlikely they're the equivalent of 900 calories an hour. If you feel like it's moderately intense, I would log it as 150 to 200 calories.

200 lb person, 4 mph, 8 % grade for 60 min.

887 calories.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Of course that is gross, what a HRM and MFP database would give you.
    For purpose of eatback, it would only be net 791.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Check out those two groups on here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map

They have all the information you need and more. It'll help you to understand your calorie needs and what to expect once you up your calories! I am so glad I found this information and can't even imagine anymore eating at 1200...I did struggle in the beginning but now it just feels right!
  • heybales
    Options
    So, being 5'9, 222lbs and 27 year old female, my BMR is about 1818 calories. This is what I'd burn if I stayed in bed all day, correct?

If this is the case, then right off the bat I'm burning 1818 calories.

MPF has my goal set at 1,270 calories a day in order to lose the 2 lbs a week that I want to lose. Some days I have to force myself to eat that many calories, but I eat as close to 1,270 as I can.

We started working out almost a month ago and I did gain weight, but it went away after 2 weeks. I work out every other day and make it a goal to burn a MINIMUM of 300 calories with cardio (often it's more, but that's my lowest I'll permit myself to walk out of the gym with. We're usually there only an hour because of my bf's physically demanding job. I burn 300cals in 20 minutes average) and I am doing about 1/2 hour weight training at the gym. I know it's not a lot of working out, but I go out often with my boyfriend and we walk...around the mall, downtown, etc. I keep active and do a lot of cleaning each and every day. All these things burn calories.

My defect has to be at least 800 calories on the days that I'm working out and living life outside of bed at least. On the days that we don't work out, it's likely around 500 calories minimum.

So....why am I stuck? Why is the scale now refusing to budge? The only time I really lost weight in the past was when I was under so much emotional stress that I just basically stopped eating. I lost a total of 65lbs that way. I know it wasn't healthy and that's why I'm following this above mentioned plan of eating and exercising.

I'm kind of frustrated. My goal is to reach 180-200lbs. It's just not really happening. Tips? Advice?

So MFP has your maintenance at 2270 calories, which means you selected Sedentary activity level for non-exercise daily life.

Is that really true, 45 hr desk job sitting with commute time, not active on weekends, ect? Except for exercise sessions?

And then doing MFP, any exercise day you'd eat more than that as it's been mentioned and you say you do, so you are actually eating more than 1270, right?

Treadmill is accurate enough, though it starts to lose accuracy over 4-5 % grade.

But are you correctly eating all that back to keep a reasonable 1000 cal deficit?
    Or do you think making it 2000 deficit on most days is better?

Do you weigh your foods (not measure for volume, weigh for mass)?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    200 lb person, 4 mph, 8 % grade for 60 min.

887 calories.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Of course that is gross, what a HRM and MFP database would give you.
    For purpose of eatback, it would only be net 791.

I originally thought your net number was way to high, but at that grade you're looking at approximately 400m elevation change equivalent. Using the rule of thumb of 1 calorie per kg-metre, roughly half the burn is coming from the elevation change itself. And that isn't subject to "50% discount" of flat walking.

I'd estimate 650ish myself, but at that point we're quibbling in the noise, lots of other, bigger sources of error! :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    So, being 5'9, 222lbs and 27 year old female, my BMR is about 1818 calories. This is what I'd burn if I stayed in bed all day, correct?

IMO, based on what you have shared, that's too high. Estimating your BF% at 50, I get a BMR in the 1400s.
  • Windzer
    Windzer Posts: 104
    Options
    Also, why would MPF make their goals thing so confusing then for me to eat at? That's the irritating part that they want me to end up at around 1,270cals after everything is all said and done. That info is all wrong then?

MFP makes a goal based on your activity level, and the amount you want to lose.

You set it at sedentary, and want to lose 2lbs a week. So 1900 cals for a BMR + ~300 for presumed activity, then you subtract 1000 calories for a 2lb a week loss and you are at ~1200 calories. Makes sense to me.
  • jen10001
    jen10001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    #1: Get a food scale and measure everything. The first one I got was less than $15 online. Measuring cups and spoons can often be off by 20% which adds up quickly
    #2: Get a heart rate monitor to better judge calories burned. Amazon and I think walmart have a basic HRM with chest strap for $22 that will give you a general idea. My treadmill always claims around 2x the burn of my HRM. Just an FYI, if I RUN (not jog) for an hour that burns around 500 calories, so 300 calories in 20 minutes seems rather high (but could be close as I am lighter weight)
    #3: I ate out *very*rarely when trying to lose (2x/month or less) and when I did, watched my intake (no fries/burgers/apps etc) and ordered fish with veggies/salad with lite dressing etc and still figured I'd quite easily consume ~800+ calories in a single meal which meant I tried to watch the rest of the day very closely.
    #4: Why do you find it suddenly so difficult to consume 1200 calories? Not trying to be a snot, but you seemed to maintain your previous weight by consuming many more calories, yet now it makes you physically sick to eat 1200? Not following you, but perhaps there is some medical/physical reason you just didn't explain.

While it was somewhat difficult, I was able to lose pounds and not feel like I had to deprive myself by logging/weighing food religiously, cooking 95% of my meals at home, doing cardio to "earn" extra calories, and adding in some strength training to try and preserve as much muscle mass as I could.

TLDR: I think you are overestimating your calories burned and underestimating your calories consumed.
  • Skinnyknow
    Options
    I find sometimes weight loss for me was like getting a pay cheque. I'd do everything right and nothing. It took two weeks of logging and then two more weeks before the cheque arrived. So 4 weeks in all. My point is be patient. I would lose once a month in 5 pound chunks. I did want to lose 1 pound a week, makes it easier to maintain later.

I'm also amazed at your lack of appetite, lucky you for being over satisfied at 1200. For me I'm starving at 1200.
  • atlantisak
    Options
    Lynn_Glenmont:

Well, depending on your weight at 5'4, that could be the big difference between you and I. I'm at a constant incline on the treadmill with no downhill at all like you'd get with walking on hills (up and down, etc). I'm not sure what you'd consider moderately intense, but I am usually sweating A LOT by the end of the 20 minutes, red faced and tired (but feeling good, I enjoy it). I've always been the one to push myself, so I'm not taking a general stroll or leisurely pace. What site did you get the info on that it'd be 150-200 calories? All the ones I've seen so far match fairly close to what is on the treadmill read-out.
  • atlantisak
    Options
    Burn 300 calories in 20 minutes? You do realize MFP heavily overestimates burns, right?
    Heybales:
    That is easily attainable, especially if moving a lot of mass.

And MFP exercise calories for walking and jogging flat, if you really do that pace, is going to be more correct than a HRM without enough stats.

Should match good treadmills where you can punch in your own weight.

I'm using a treadmill that has a HRM reader on the handles as well as an option to input your weight info and age. The mass that I have to move is about 222lbs and I'm 5'9. I think I'm just going to invest in a calorie/HRM device and just use that to see how accurate things actually are and what I'm burning on average daily on top of my BMR. Mostly everyone seems to feel it's impossible for me to be getting even anywhere near those numbers of calories burnt. :( I don't leisurely stroll on the treadmill. I'm out to make myself sweat and push hard. Thanks for backing me up a little bit that this is possible.
  • atlantisak
    Options
    Regarding the 300-calorie treadmill workout in 20 minutes, that works out to 900 calorie per hour workout, which is really pretty darn intense.
    Mr_Knight:
    At 220 pounds, it's basically 2 miles running, which is well within the realm of doable. The treadmill should be at 2% or so incline, too.

For someone out of shape, that would be challenging, but it would only be a matter of weeks of C25k to work up to it.

Hey, Mr. Knight....I set the incline at 15% and go at a speed of 2.8 to 4.5 miles an hour. I push myself to do this pace and really work up a sweat. I'm not sure what 'shape' or 'condition' I'm considered to be in (how is that even really determined?), but I know that I'm doing fairly well compared to others my size. I have a background where I grew up on a farm and was incredibly strong as a girl (still am...seeing as I can still take down my boyfriend who is my height/weight but mostly muscle when we wrestle.).
  • atlantisak
    Options
    Mr_Knight:
    IMO, based on what you have shared, that's too high. Estimating your BF% at 50, I get a BMR in the 1400s.

I haven't had my BF checked in a while, but last I knew it was somewhere around 38-43. I have a fair bit of muscle and a thick bone structure. I should get the BF checked again at some point.
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm using a treadmill that has a HRM reader on the handles as well as an option to input your weight info and age. The mass that I have to move is about 222lbs and I'm 5'9. I think I'm just going to invest in a calorie/HRM device and just use that to see how accurate things actually are and what I'm burning on average daily on top of my BMR. Mostly everyone seems to feel it's impossible for me to be getting even anywhere near those numbers of calories burnt. :( I don't leisurely stroll on the treadmill. I'm out to make myself sweat and push hard. Thanks for backing me up a little bit that this is possible.

The treadmill won't use the HR as any calcs for calories, purely body weight and slope and pace.
    HR is for display only, though it may use it in a HR program to speed up or slow down at certain times too.
    The age is so it can estimate HR zones, because it probably does 220-age as assumed HRmax.
    Calorie burn is truly a function of moving mass to escape gravity. Now, at certain speeds and inclines, personal efficiency doing it can greatly effect the accuracy. You've probably seen someone on treadmill walking very .... unusual, and wondered how in the world they were going so fast. They were burning more.

Can't use a HRM to wear all day for purpose of calorie burn. The formula's that calculate calories from HR are only valid for the aerobic exercise range, about 90 to 150-170, and steady state, so same HR for about 2-4 min.
    So that leaves any anaerobic exercise out, anything not steady state where your HR is bouncing around, and below exercise.

If treadmill is all you'll keep doing for now I'd suggest skip the HRM for now, not useful for your intended purpose. And as you've discovered you can make that incline steep enough you are getting an equivalent workout as running flat - without the joint impact with extra weight right now.
    Only a more expensive HRM will have the stats to have a chance at decent calorie estimate, and you have better available with your workout already with treadmill (maybe) and calculator.

I gave link up above for you to confirm what the treadmill is using. They are well studied formula's, because walking and slow jogging on a treadmill are the most lab studied methods, and formula's are highly accurate as link above shows.

Did you use Katch BMR with bodyfat %? It can be very different than the ones based on age, weight, height like MFP uses.

Check the spreadsheet on my profile page to get some best estimates without actual tests, and then include test results when gotten.

Plus it has a HRM tab, you can input your stats exactly like a nicer HRM would have, and it'll actually use a Polar funded study formula to calculate calorie burn if you tell it avgHR and time of a workout session. You can see just what it would tell you right now. But you'll need that avgHR for the whole session, or pretty much anyway.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options

It is possible. Depending on what workouts you're doing. If you do a HIIT workout, that gets your heart-rate up a lot, you can burn a lot of calories. And it all varies on your height/weight. Believe me. I've done it.
  • klinger6395
    klinger6395 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lol what's wrong with that ...