Lost 40 pounds and still a size 18??

WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Last year i bought a size 18's which was very tight...now I put them on again and they still fit and it feels much more lose and comfertable. I thought maybe after losing weight I should be down to a 14-16 at least. Anyone else having this problem?

Replies

• littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    different brands fit different you should try on some other sizes and brands
  • YEP....I have lost 21lbs so far and still teeter-totering around the exact same size as when I started my journey. I guess my "frame" is just not changing yet. I have lost a couple of inches around my legs and 1.75" on my hips but it is just not reflecting in pants sizes yet.
  • boogie17
    boogie17 Posts: 103 Member
    it depends on the the brand. like if i get my jeans from lane bryant..i'm in one size, but if i get them from Target, i'm 3sizes smaller at target!!! which i love!!!! it all depends on the brand and style
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Well I don't want to dissapoint anyone, but I have lost 80 pounds and have went from a size 20 to a size 18 so it takes time and alot of ab work!! Lol
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    I went from 202lbs to 179lbs and still wear sizes 14, 16 & a lose 18!!!! I've lost 22lbs, shouldn't I be wearing size 9 by now!!! :huh:
    all in time I know........
    we WILL get to our goals........ :flowerforyou:
    we are heading in the right direction!!
    Keep up the good work!! :drinker:
  • Nano911
    Nano911 Posts: 18 Member
    I lost 40 pounds before joining mfp. and was also a size 18. I was not able to transform my shape until I started lifting weights and then it still took a good 6 months of continuous work to see a difference.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    I've got this pair of size 10 jeans that pulled out of my closet two or three months ago. I've been trying them on since. They are just too tight in the hips and thighs and never look quite right at the waist. I got so frustrated when I reached a weight LOWER than the last time I could wear them and they still didnt fit right. I went to the mall knowing I was a size 12 and much to my surprise, most 10s fit just fine. It's really got a lot to do with cut, shape, and style. Next time your out, try on some different cuts see what fits! :)
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Well, we all wear our weight differently, but I have to agree and say that brands do make sizes run smaller/larger. Even in dresses. I'm a 14/16 pant and on some dress a 13/15 fit, on other brands, their 14 was too small and yet their 18 fit perfect.. so try on different brands, you might be surprised! Good luck and congrats to everyone who has lost weight and to those who lost pant sizes! Keep it up!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    People are different, bodies are different. Sometimes you CAN stuff 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound bag. I know one gal who wore a size 16 and weighed 130, she was skinny, but had very wide hips. Another gal weighed 160 and wore a size 12, she was very top heavy and had skinny legs and hips. Our bodies have a mind of their own when it comes to where we lose weight from. I have been measuring my bust, waist, hips and thighs and have lost a total of 10 inches, but have lost 30 pounds. My hands and feet have gotten smaller, my ankles are less "puffy", and my forearms are thinner as well as my neck and chin. I am a "pear" shape and very much looking forward to losing my @ss!
  • MaybeImNot
    MaybeImNot Posts: 122 Member
    Sizes are funny. I started with lots of 20s and some 18s and haven't bought new clothes until about 10lbs ago. I had lost about 50lbs until my clothes even really started looking weird/big. Strange and frustrating. But now that I've hit that "magic point" I'm almost into 12s. Strange, strange stuff with sizes :-)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    I would go shopping, you never know, it could be the brand.... but I know what you mean. I've actually seen quite a few people say they didn't see any real changes even after a ton of weight loss :( That's so scary, especially cause I'm only at 14lbs...I can't imagine losing 40lbs and still being the same size...I'd be pissed. lol
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    People are different, bodies are different. Sometimes you CAN stuff 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound bag. I know one gal who wore a size 16 and weighed 130, she was skinny, but had very wide hips. Another gal weighed 160 and wore a size 12, she was very top heavy and had skinny legs and hips. Our bodies have a mind of their own when it comes to where we lose weight from. I have been measuring my bust, waist, hips and thighs and have lost a total of 10 inches, but have lost 30 pounds. My hands and feet have gotten smaller, my ankles are less "puffy", and my forearms are thinner as well as my neck and chin. I am a "pear" shape and very much looking forward to losing my @ss!

Agreed!!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
    Do not fret. I am 5'8" tall and in college I weighed about 125 lbs (sadly I thought I was fat b/c I did not weigh 115~I could slap that old silly me) anyway, even at 125lbs on a 5'8" frame I never wore anything smaller than a 10 or 12 depending on the brand. You have take into account your overall build.

Focus on how much healthier you now and cut the labels out the jeans if they piss you off too much.
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Yes! I've lost 50lbs and have only dropped to a size 18, I was wearing 20's before(granted the were way tight but they fit). But like others have said different brands will also play a part in this I like lower waisted jeans and so it takes more loss to drop sizes in those. I'm also losing my stomach the slowest, I've lost inches of my bust, thighs and even my hips but my waist resists! We all lose weight our own way from different areas of the body at different times and all of our bodies are shaped differently. Keep at it and it will happen, that's what I'm doing.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Make sure you do workouts, it will be the workouts that tone up the muscles and you will be able to fit into smaller size clothes.

I have lost 36lbs, but gone from a loose fitting size 16 (UK size) down to a 10, exercise is what will do it, coupled with keeping within your calorie allowance of course.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
    I'm currently working on weight/strength training w/ yoga & stretching. It should help!
  • It your size 18's were tight when you first started, it is possible you were actually a size larger. Maybe now you're down to a size 18 and on the verge of going to 16!
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Crazy isn't it .. that's what I find so discouraging as well. I started in 16's and a 40 lb loss only brought me to size 14 .. yet, some people can lose 10 or 20 lbs and lose 4 sizes or more.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    i have been "shopping" in my closet wearing clothes i have not worn in forever....i've been wearing recently a size L pants and a size 14 pants from my closet that i had a long time ago...but i also "squeezed" into a pair of jeans from high school that are a size "20"...they are still tight...different material, different style, different cut....very frustrating...i have a pair of pants from the Avenue i bought last year maybe that are a size 16 and another pair that are a 14 and they both are loose but i have to wear a size 18 in some jean shorts i have.....they all fit differently and are tighter and looser in different areas...my waist is loose, my *kitten* is loose but my "pooch" is tight......just how our bodies are shaped differently after all this time....2 kids later, my weight is distributed differently....my boobs and my shoulders/arms are smaller but i like longer shirts to cover up my belly so i wear them bigger than i need to....who cares what the tag says...as long as they fit or are too big you are doing the right thing...
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    i have been "shopping" in my closet wearing clothes i have not worn in forever....i've been wearing recently a size L pants and a size 14 pants from my closet that i had a long time ago...but i also "squeezed" into a pair of jeans from high school that are a size "20"...they are still tight...different material, different style, different cut....very frustrating...i have a pair of pants from the Avenue i bought last year maybe that are a size 16 and another pair that are a 14 and they both are loose but i have to wear a size 18 in some jean shorts i have.....they all fit differently and are tighter and looser in different areas...my waist is loose, my *kitten* is loose but my "pooch" is tight......just how our bodies are shaped differently after all this time....2 kids later, my weight is distributed differently....my boobs and my shoulders/arms are smaller but i like longer shirts to cover up my belly so i wear them bigger than i need to....who cares what the tag says...as long as they fit or are too big you are doing the right thing...
This discussion has been closed.