Losing muscle

Options
When dieting... what sorts of things make you lose more muscle (safely)? I know I've lost a lot already... Muscle % measurements go up as I lose fat... but I think the total amount is going down or staying the same.

Replies

• InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly (no judgement). You want to lose muscle?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose muscle or not lose muscle? Muscle is good for you. All lean mass is. If for some reason you don't like how you look and think losing muscle will help you need to seek help learning to love yourself and just be healthy.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    if Arnold Schwarnegger were dead, he'd be rolling over in his grave.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    9foHhmT.gif
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Ummmmm.

Yeah, no, I've got nothin.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    if Arnold Schwarnegger were dead, he'd be rolling over in his grave.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Why in the world do you want to lose muscle? It's the fat you should be focused on. I don't get this.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Ummmmm.

Yeah, no, I've got nothin.

LOL...you have said it best!
    Why OP, WHY???
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Long endurance cardio. Eat at a calorie deficit with little protein. No weight lifting.

BUT you do know muscle is good for you, as well as being incredibly sexy? It's makes the aging process go much smoother, you burn more calories at rest and while doing activities, etc. Lifting children, groceries, furniture are all good things (still can't open the ****ing pickle jar though).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The larger the calorie deficit, the faster you'll lose muscle.

I've heard mixed arguments as to how much strength training can help preserve muscle in the face of a deficit.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Not really a safe way to lose muscle, and for the life of me I have no idea why you would want to. If you're serious though, cut out all protein, grab a dozen bags of potato chips, some Twinkies, and find a comfortable spot to sit and don't move for six months. That should do it.

Are you crazy? Cause you sound bat$#!^ crazy.

Rigger
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    So you want to atrophy muscle because you are looking at becoming a woman in the future? I guess this is the transition you refer to in your profile?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about it.

If you must. get into running long distances. Do more cardio, zumba, etc.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Well little wabbit.. to lose more muscle.. make sure your weight loss is not gradual and controlled. Make sure it's a quick and fast plummet.

Also don't eat any protein. Also don't do weight training.
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    You will lose muscle mass during a diet no if and or buts about it its that simple, you can slow it down by lifting, getting enough protein and enough BCAA's. If you are looking to lose muscle (dunno y you would sounds crazy) then go on an extreme diet, drop your cals by a crap ton, your body wont get enough energy from the fat so it will start to take muscle mass for energy
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!!! busyLady406 SOOOOOO TRUE!!! LOL really!!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Hormonal differences can change how your body puts on/keeps on muscle, so any meds a person might take that way should affect it themselves, keep in mind :)

If I were you, I'd probably eat on the low side of protein intake. And I wouldn't heavy lift for certain muscles. But women come in all shapes and sizes, so there's nothing wrong with being more muscular than the average, either. I have high testosterone for a woman (PCOS), and I like that it's easier to build muscle, lol. I actually don't take the meds that would lower my testosterone because of that part.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You want to wut?!?

tumblr_m7rv838XV01qd8qcdo2_500.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NOne.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options