Weights hoggers at the gym

Options
I go to a very small gym, it's only about the size of somebody's living room, and they only have one pair of each weight of dumbbells.
Today I was in the gym doing my arm routine, and I was on the tricep dips part.

Then another girl came into the gym and took the 4kg, 5kg and 6kg sets off the rack and put them all in a little pile in front of herself then started doing her routine in front of the mirror.

Leaving no weights for anybody else apart from the tiny ones or the heavy ones.
Next on my list was flys so I went and picked up the 5kg pair which were lying on the floor in front of her. At which point she started hurling abuse at me - when she was the weights hogger!

I wish I had whacked her with the 10kg dumbbell that she'd left on the rack, but actually I just cancelled my membership because I don't want to go back there again.
What would you have done?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Rather than just grabbing the weight I would have asked if I could work a set in with those weights. I would never go to a gym that small and that ill equipped....but even so, you often have to share equipment and weight and asking to work in is the proper etiquette.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    She needed the weights, you needed the weights. If there's only 1 pair of each, then who ever has them is hogging them. Neither one of you were really any more right than the other.

It's the nature of small gyms. Don't like it? Go when it's less crowded or find a different gym.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Join Planet Fitness brah! You can have some pizza & tootsie rolls while the weight hoggers are doin some work with their 10lb dumbbells.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Rather than just grabbing the weight I would have asked if I could work a set in with those weights. I would never go to a gym that small and that ill equipped....but even so, you often have to share equipment and weight and asking to work in is the proper etiquette.

That sums up my thoughts as well.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah you might have asked her about taking it, and if she offered objection, just firmly mentioned that they were the only ones. 9 times out of 10, if you are polite or ask to work in, no problems at the gym.
  • leswithe
    leswithe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You're right, I'm going to join a bigger gym.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Go to a bigger gym.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You're right, I'm going to join a bigger gym.

Bigger gyms come with different problems. At some point you have to be better at dealing with people.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    different gym / home gym.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I would have let that girl know and then I would have kept going with my workout. Cancelling your membership was the right thing to do...
  • leswithe
    leswithe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was a member of a bigger gym before and loved it but it closed.
    Thanks, all, will look out for another big gym, I only joined the small gym because it was near work, but it sucks.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Every gym has some equipment broken or missing, so it's good to learn other ways to work the same muscle group. For example, narrow-grip pushups work the triceps a lot. Or do bench dips with your feet raised higher. Pec flys can be replaced with pushups. Etc..
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is possible to have enough weights available to compensate for the selfish a-holes who think their workout is the only one that counts. We have at least 2 pr of dumbbells for every size up to 50lbs, plus multiple pairs kettlebells and you still run into the same problem. I had one guy who used to arrange 4 fixed barbells and 3 pairs of dumbbells around his workout bench. You could hardly walk through the free weight room when he was there. He got all huffy when I told him he could only use one at a time. Seriously, this is not something an adult should have to be told---ever.

Working together in a gym/weight room is nothing more than following rules of basic politeness. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. That fact that so many people seem to have trouble with the simplest of concepts is always puzzling to me.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Working together in a gym/weight room is nothing more than following rules of basic politeness. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. That fact that so many people seem to have trouble with the simplest of concepts is always puzzling to me.

^ I agree with this guy.