Rice...Is This The Devil Even When Its Brown??

Options

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I've heard they serve all colors of rice in hell.
  • ElectricDragon
    ElectricDragon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do quinoa now. Why? Because of the possibility of high levels of arsenic in rice.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/breaking-news-FDA-arsenic-rice
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Once you go brown...

... yeah, doesn't work with this one.

All I can think of are racist curry jokes.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier and you hadn't beaten me to making this comment. :wink:
  • meparker757
    meparker757 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Really just boils down to personal choice. As long as you meet your calorie goals.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone saw the episode of the Doctors or Dr.Oz or some ish like that where they said brown rice is awesome nutritionally, except because it contains the whole fibrous part and all, it leaches arsenic from the soil and holds it there. Apparently, just like cyanide in apple sauce/juice, you can eventually overdo it with arsenic if you eat a lot of brown rice. They recommended switching it up occasionally back and forth from white to brown rice. That also being said, there's arsenic in our bodies anyway and I feel we have much bigger problems to worry about than brown rice.

Edited to say, the reason for the cyanide also is because the seeds are included in processing and not removed, so apples are delciously fine!

I've never seen Dr. Oz, but this somewhat correct. Due to poor farming practices, the levels of arsenic in brown rice have been increasing. The levels in rice are not dangerous (yet) but are of concern because they are rising. Some concentrated products made from brown rice, such as brown rice syrup, have been found to have high levels of arsenic.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    No food is the devil, it's all about moderation.

I can't eat wheat, so rice is a staple of my diet, either in its "pure" form or as rice noodles, etc. I cook with white because brown tastes weird with all the curries I make.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I told my aunt that I had discovered and started eating black rice. She hadn't heard of it and thought I was making a racist joke about black people and rice. Wtf? :laugh:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. My DH likes white rice, which I think is pasty tasting. I love brown rice with its firmness and nutty flavor.

I find both easy to cook, as long as I have the burner temperature correct and timer set.

2 cups water ,
    I add about a 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of canola oil to prevent rice from being too sticky.
    salt if you want,
    1 cup brown (or long cooking white) rice

Bring water to boil, add the rice and stir. Set to low, cover and cook. It takes about 45 minutes but I do a quick check every 15 to 20 because it can vary slightly depending on your stove, the weather, the pan you are using etc. I don't stir when I check except just a bit to make sure it isn't sticking to bottom of pan.

Left overs make great hot cereal.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat rice then eat rice. If you want as much nutrition as possible from your rice then choose brown rice.

As for it being a devil food, if a devil chose to eat white rice instead of fish and chips then I think it would be quite a sensible devil.

I see many people on here who steer clear of rice and pasta because they are "bad" foods and then there is chocolate, candy, potato chips in their food diaries.... which really makes me wonder where they are getting their health information from.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I'm not a ricist. I eat both. I prefer the taste of brown, though.

Haha! I am not a ricist, lol.
    I will use white rice if it is better for the recipe/meal but in general I prefer brown.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter.

Choose the one you prefer the taste of at any given time. Wash your rice before cooking.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone saw the episode of the Doctors or Dr.Oz or some ish like that where they said brown rice is awesome nutritionally, except because it contains the whole fibrous part and all, it leaches arsenic from the soil and holds it there. Apparently, just like cyanide in apple sauce/juice, you can eventually overdo it with arsenic if you eat a lot of brown rice..…...
    I do quinoa now. Why? Because of the possibility of high levels of arsenic in rice.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/breaking-news-FDA-arsenic-rice

I generally dont trust anything The Wizard of Oz says ... Does anyone know if there is any truth behind this coming from a trusted source (aka, not Doctor Oz.)
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting article from Web MD on how eating brown rice instead of white rice can significantly reduce the risk of T2 diabetes because it has a lower glycemic index and causes a much lower spike in blood glucose after eating it

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100614/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-better

Here are a couple of excerpts

June 14, 2010 -- Replacing white rice in your diet with brown rice may reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, according to a new study.

The finding is important because the consumption of white rice in the United States has increased dramatically in the past few decades, and about 18 million Americans have type 2 diabetes.

Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health say eating two or more servings of brown rice weekly seems to be associated with a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes. On the other hand, they report, eating five or more servings of white rice per week is associated with an increased risk.

Qi Sun, MD, now an instructor of medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, and colleagues at Harvard estimate that replacing 50 grams daily of white rice (uncooked, equivalent to a one-third serving) with the same amount of brown rice would lower the risk of type 2 diabetes by 16%.

Replacing the same amount of white rice with other whole grains, such as barley and wheat, is associated with a 36% reduced risk.

The study is published in the online journal Archives of Internal Medicine.

The researchers say the study is the first to specifically examine white rice vs. brown rice in relation to development of type2 diabetes among Americans.

“Rice consumption in the U.S. has dramatically increased in recent decades,” Sun says in a news release. “We believe replacing white rice and other refined grains with whole grains, including brown rice, would lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.”

White rice is created by removing the bran and germ portions of brown rice. The authors say that more than 70% of rice eaten in the U.S. is white.

Brown Rice Reduces Diabetes Risk

The scientists examined rice consumption and diabetes risk in 39,765 men and 157,463 women in three large studies -- the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study and the Nurses’ Health Study I and II.

They analyzed responses to questionnaires completed every four years about diet, lifestyle, and health conditions.

After adjusting for age and other lifestyle and dietary risk factors, people who consumed five or more servings of white rice per week had a 17% increased risk of diabetes, compared to people who ate less than one serving per month.

But eating two or more servings of brown rice per week was associated with an 11% reduced risk of developing type 2 diabetes, compared to eating less than one serving of brown rice per month.

White rice has a higher glycemic index than brown rice, the researchers say. That index is a measure of how fast a particular food raises blood glucose levels, compared with the same amount of glucose.

“The high glycemic index of white rice consumption is likely the consequence of disrupting the physical and botanical structure of rice grains during the refining process,” the authors write. “The other consequence of the refining process includes loss of fiber, vitamins, magnesium and other minerals, lignans, phytoestrogens, and phytic acid, many of which may be protective factors for diabetes risk.”

They recommend replacing white rice and other refined grains with brown rice to try to prevent type 2 diabetes.

Brown rice, the researchers say, often does not generate as

This is a great study. One additional thing about rice in general is that there are issues with Arsenic. I heard this on the Dr. Oz show, so I can't quote a study. Google it I guess? Eating rice, white or brown depends on your taste preferences and fitness goals. I have eliminated rice from my diet completely for right now. I have moved on to quinoa. Not saying I will never eat it again, I just don't think it's the right choice for me right now while I am actively trying to lose weight.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I generally dont trust anything The Wizard of Oz says ... Does anyone know if there is any truth behind this coming from a trusted source (aka, not Doctor Oz.)

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm319870.htm

Rice, along with many other food items, contain arsenic. However, washing rice reduces the content IIRC.

There is little evidence to suggest it is harmful to health given current levels and volume of consumption.

If you believe the alarmists you might as well stop brushing your teeth given the fluoride content.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Switch to black rice. You will never look back. Gotta say, though, Texmati white is pretty good.
  • mymonty
    mymonty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hell Yes! I LOVE rice and can eat it all day long, but a starch is a starch. Even brown rice, sure it's healthier but I think the word MODERATION has to come into play. Do I eat rice in moderation? Sometimes? Do I eat it when I'm bored, cold, hungry, craving whatever, yes! Bad habit, but very comforting for me. Having said that I don't buy nearly as much rice as I used to in order to cut my consumption down. But that's just my opinion and me speaking solely about me.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    All rice is fantastic.

White, brown, wild, etc.... all have differing textures and tastes.

Remember: HItler was evil - food groups are not.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

http://consumerreports.org/cro/arsenicinfood.htm
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat rice if I want it. Just like every other food.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm start off by saying the title of this post looks borderline racist at first glance hahahahah

But this is to ask you guys how everyone feels about white rice vs. brown rice. Do you guys stay away from rice completly or is brown rice the way to go if i want rice at all??

Iv heard mixed things regarding white rice so...your thoughts??

White rice is better tastewise and arguably nutritionally as well

Agreed.