1200 calories a day HELP

Options
Hi

Just wondering really what meals people have during the day to achieve 1200 calories a day. I am either going slightly over or under.
As well as finding I am eating the same boring things over and over again.

Feel free to message me as I could do with some more friends to motivate me, and I would like to think I motivate others too

Many thanks

Quinn1990

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you are at only 1200?????

I don't have any suggestions as I eat more then that to lose weight.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Are your weight loss goals set to 2 lbs per week? That might be too aggressive. If you're unhappy, try changing your goal to 1.5 or 1 pound weight loss per week. It will take longer but you'll be happier
  • quinn1990
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for your comments. To be honest I was always told that to loose weight most women reduce their calorie intake to 1200?
    Have I got this information wrong?
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    At first I had a difficult time with 1200 calories but I'm now getting used to it. Feel free to add me, my diary is public to friends. Last night was a bad example (just don't look at yesterday!). I plan it just right that I even have room for snacks at night! :) The one night for dinner I had an egg omelet and turkey bacon. Greek yogurt, bananas and almonds also help. My macros is set to lose 2 lbs a week, however, I tried changing it to 1lb a week but itll still gave me 1200 calories. You'll get used to it. If you're really struggling, try working out to earn calories.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for your comments. To be honest I was always told that to loose weight most women reduce their calorie intake to 1200?

Most definitely...My average intake is around 1800-2200, eating back 50-75% of my exercise calories and I'm losing a steady 1 -1.5 lbs a week.....
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hi

Yes. MFP calculates what you need to eat to lose a certain amount (.5-2 pounds a week) based on how tall you are and your current weight and slowly decreases it over time.

Personal example: I started at 343 pounds, 5'9" and ate 2,260 calories to lose weight. Now I'm at 300 pounds and eating 1,990 calories and still losing weight. And that's without exercise. If you exercise, you get to eat your calories back if you're using MFP the way it was designed. You most likely do NOT need to start things off eating 1200 calories unless you're very short, or you can't seem to lose weight eating more.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    At first I had a difficult time with 1200 calories but I'm now getting used to it. Feel free to add me, my diary is public to friends. Last night was a bad example (just don't look at yesterday!). I plan it just right that I even have room for snacks at night! :) The one night for dinner I had an egg omelet and turkey bacon. Greek yogurt, bananas and almonds also help. My macros is set to lose 2 lbs a week, however, I tried changing it to 1lb a week but itll still gave me 1200 calories. You'll get used to it. If you're really struggling, try working out to earn calories.

You shouldn't have to "get used" to it....try using a TDEE calculator to see how much you should be eating...you can google it..and there are multiple threads on here about it. If you are struggling you don't have to be....
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but MFP set up the goal cal on the level of 1270 daily for me... No idea why because until yesterday i was on level 1400 and today when I logged in it was 1200 (so i just changed losing goal to 1 lbs instead of 2 and it wento to 1270 per day)...still don't know if i can make it, hm?
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I like the Chicken Soft Tacos, Fresco Style, from Taco Bell. It's a 420 calorie meal for three of them, and quite filling. I also like the Egg White Delight McMuffin from McDonald's for breakfast. Only 250 calories. From Wendy's, I like the Junior Bacon Cheeseburger and the small Chili, I don't remember the calorie total, but it's manageable. I also like Progresso soups, they're usually 400 calories or less, and that's eating the whole can. And then there's prepackaged deli salads 'n such. If you dump out half the dressing they give you, you can really have a substantial meal without a lot of calories. Happy eating! :drinker:
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi Lady :-)
    I have always had 5 or 8 pounds that I thought I would look better without. Through High-school I ate a strict 1200 cal a day diet. I was always a little flabby, but thin.
    However, I felt tired and listless. I think I was borderline anorexic.
    A few years ago I read some articles on how we kill our metabolism as young women and then if we eat a 2000 cal diet a day we gain weight.
    I slowly began fixing my metabolism. I increased my calorie intake by 100 a week. I introduced lots of healthy fats to my diet. (coconut oil, avocado, grass fed beef, salmon etc) I started having a TON more energy. I felt better. My skin went from uber dry to soft. my face cleared up a lot. My hormones balanced and my period became less painful (YAY...sorry if thats TMI)
    anyway, I still wasn't happy with my body. No matter how much cardio I did I still looked soft in the thighs and tummy (although I was thin.)
    Then last year I discovered the Olympic weight set in my gym.
    I started Strong Lifts 5X5.
    OMG!! I firmed and " toned " and my waist chrank :-)
    I am in love with lifting.
    Right now I eat 1800-2500 calories a day with most of them coming from healthy fats and protein, although I do eat oatmeal every day and whole grain bread/tortillas.

SO I suggest you don't do a drastic calorie cut. Just eat healthy, eat at a low deficit and lift heavy things and do a little cardxio too. With consistency you will have the body you want. I guarantee it.

Oh- one thing. I am 1335 right now, which sounds heavy, but I am at my most fit and thin yet. The scale really is just a number. measure your success in inches not pounds. When you are lifting you make muscle which give you that lovely lean look but not so small numbers on the scale...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hi

The information you have is dramatically over simplified. 1200 calories is the lowest amount considered healthy for any adult. There are two main ways that people here set their calories goals. One is the TYDEE/BMR method and the other is the MFP program. I followed the MFP program and lost the excess weight. It took me a year and a day. In that system, I answered a number of questions that included my starting weight and activity level. The program started me at a calorie goal that was well above 1200 calories per day. I aimed for that goal and ate back PART of my exercise calories. I lost weight at an average rate of 1.5 pounds a week, but hit many plateaus along the way. I'm told that is a frequent situation for many. It is healthy and sustainable. I particularly appreciated the ability to "earn" a treat by exercising more. As I lost weight, the program reduced my allowable calorie total until I ended with 1200. Now I'm in the process of fine tuning and learning to maintain. One of the conditions of youth is impatience, and I've seen a lot of younger folks give up because they're aren't losing several pounds a week. Unfortunately healthy long term weight loss can't be rushed. Good luck to you.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ok, some of my wording "you'll get used to it" is somewhat true. If you're used to eating everything and anything you want, any calorie reduction will take getting used to. Your body will adapt, especially if you are eating the right foods. By all means if you're not feeling well doing it then you should definitely eat more!
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Imma just leave this here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=road+map

Take a look, learn a bit about things like Basal Metabolic Rate and Total Daily Energy Expenditure and use that info to set your calories.
  • shraniken
    shraniken Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi

Just wondering really what meals people have during the day to achieve 1200 calories a day. I am either going slightly over or under.

Feel free to message me as I could do with some more friends to motivate me, and I would like to think I motivate others too

Many thanks

Quinn1990

I'm using slim fast (3-2-1 plan is designed for 1200 calories), as it's a really easy way to keep track of calories because you only have to worry about one meal a day, which is a 500 calorie one. For that, I just browse allrecipes.com healthy section and go from there. It's really easy to get right at or within 100 calories of 1200 every day.
  • quinn1990
    Options
    Hi thanks again for your messages

I personally can not do the slim fast thing as the products are disgusting and expensive
    I am a student you see so money is tight

I am going to re read some of your messages and see what I can do

Thanks again
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi Lady :-)
    I have always had 5 or 8 pounds that I thought I would look better without. Through High-school I ate a strict 1200 cal a day diet. I was always a little flabby, but thin.
    However, I felt tired and listless. I think I was borderline anorexic.
    A few years ago I read some articles on how we kill our metabolism as young women and then if we eat a 2000 cal diet a day we gain weight.
    I slowly began fixing my metabolism. I increased my calorie intake by 100 a week. I introduced lots of healthy fats to my diet. (coconut oil, avocado, grass fed beef, salmon etc) I started having a TON more energy. I felt better. My skin went from uber dry to soft. my face cleared up a lot. My hormones balanced and my period became less painful (YAY...sorry if thats TMI)
    anyway, I still wasn't happy with my body. No matter how much cardio I did I still looked soft in the thighs and tummy (although I was thin.)
    Then last year I discovered the Olympic weight set in my gym.
    I started Strong Lifts 5X5.
    OMG!! I firmed and " toned " and my waist chrank :-)
    I am in love with lifting.
    Right now I eat 1800-2500 calories a day with most of them coming from healthy fats and protein, although I do eat oatmeal every day and whole grain bread/tortillas.

SO I suggest you don't do a drastic calorie cut. Just eat healthy, eat at a low deficit and lift heavy things and do a little cardxio too. With consistency you will have the body you want. I guarantee it.

Oh- one thing. I am 1335 right now, which sounds heavy, but I am at my most fit and thin yet. The scale really is just a number. measure your success in inches not pounds. When you are lifting you make muscle which give you that lovely lean look but not so small numbers on the scale...

This is so awesome and so positive! I love weight lifting as well.

But, the bold part....:bigsmile: :laugh:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm using slim fast (3-2-1 plan is designed for 1200 calories), as it's a really easy way to keep track of calories because you only have to worry about one meal a day, which is a 500 calorie one. For that, I just browse allrecipes.com healthy section and go from there. It's really easy to get right at or within 100 calories of 1200 every day.

Slim Fast is not magic. You are losing weight because you are consuming food at a calorie deficit. Period.

You can make healthy meals with the same amount of calories as slim fast shakes. :smile:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hi

Many thanks

Quinn1990

If you want to go with eating higher protein to fill you up longer?

Then 2 rashers of bacon + 1 egg for breakfast which is around 250 cals.

2 egg omelette with cheese for lunch around 250 cals

Pork steak with stir fry for dinner around 350 cals.

Add in all your snacks, exercise cals for more food and you have a great day of food.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Imma just leave this here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=road+map

Take a look, learn a bit about things like Basal Metabolic Rate and Total Daily Energy Expenditure and use that info to set your calories.
    This. Eat at a moderate calorie deficit for your goals, set your macro targets so you get enough lean protein and healthy fats, incorporate some exercise, if you want, for fitness and eat back some of those calories. Start weight training yesterday. :happy: Don't deprive yourself, have the foods you enjoy in moderation, weigh everything on a digital scale.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Breakfast ideas:

2 large eggs and 2 Morning Star veggie sausage links - 220 calories

1 large egg, 2 slices of Sara Lee 45 calorie wheat bread, 7 grams of Smart Balance light butter spread, 2 tbsp of Smucker's Low Sugar jam - 235 calories

1.5 servings of Kellogg's Special K protein cereal and 1 cup of almond milk - 240 calories

Lunch ideas:

Hummus, alfalfa sprouts, and 2 slices of Sara Lee 45 calorie wheat bread - 350 calories, depends on how much you slather on there though, I like a lot of hummus on mine. :)

1 cup of black bean & corn salsa, 1 serving of Mediterranean Snacks brand baked lentil chips (22 chips) - 210 calories

Amy's brand frozen meals are usually pretty low in calories, they rarely go above 400 but the ones I usually like such as the black eyed peas, brown rice, and veggie bowls are around 290 calories.

Dinner ideas:

3 baked yellow corn taco shells, 1/2 cup black beans, 2 tbsp of light sour cream, .5 ounce shredded cheese, lettuce - 360 calories

9 Veggie Sushi rolls with wasabi, pickled ginger, and 1 packet soy sauce - 260 calories

140 grams of Dominex breaded eggplant cutlets, 1 egg, .5 ounce cheese, 2 tbsp salsa or marinara - 300 calories

Snack ideas:

Frigo Light string cheese (7g protein per stick, I usually eat 2 per day) - 50 calories

Baked apple slices with 1 tsp sugar and cinnamon - 95 - 115 calories, depends on size of the apple

Skinny cow Heavenly Crisp candy bar or truffle ice cream bar - 100-120 caories

Banana and 1 cup almond milk smoothie - 160ish calories, depends on size of banana

Seaweed chips - 10-60 calories depending on brand/flavor

Santitas tortilla chips (1 serving) and salsa - 150 calories

My goal is over 1200 but there are days where I net that amount with exercise. Make sure you're eating at least some of your exercise calories back, you need those to stay fueled!

ETA: As others have said, making sure 1200 is reasonable for you first is a good idea. I highly suggest thoroughly reading the links that Cindyinpg and dougthewookie posted. They are a great start for figuring out the amount of food you actually need.