Is your weight loss journey being kept under wraps?

Options

Replies

• runshellersrun
    Options
    I have not told anyone except my husband and my mom. I would rather just keep it to myself. I am down 9 lbs, with at least 6 to go (may keep going if I'm not happy at goal.)
  • jennicole4
    jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My husband only knows what my goal weight is. He doesn't know how much I currently weigh or want to lose. He's naturally slim and really can eat pretty much what he wants. I mean he hasn't worked out in 2 years and still has a six pack. I just had a baby this summer and feel a lot of pressure to lose weight as quickly as possible. I think he's part of the reason I feel so much pressure. I'm afraid people look at the two of us together and wonder why he's with me. I know it's probably crazy to feel like that and I know that he's a man and has a different metabolism, more muscle, blah blah blah and I've had three kids and it's going to be harder for me than for him. I'm just really hard on myself and it's not fair! Geez, I've gone through 3 labor/deliveries...can't a girl get a break?! Lol. My husband is kinda supportive, but I try not to talk about it too much. He doesn't really know what to say to encourage me - I think he's afraid of saying the wrong thing and hurting my feelings. Other than him, my Mom and Mommom know I'm trying to lose, but I don't say too much to them either because they are overweight and I don't want them to feel bad about themselves. Friends and other relatives don't know and I'd rather not talk about it with them. Usually, I'm uncomfortable talking about weight whether it's mine or someone else's. I'm so glad I'm on MFP! I have only recently started posting, but it's a good place to talk about fitness/weight etc. without all the awkwardness. It's been a God-send so far!
  • dantanjah
    dantanjah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Only my husband knows I am trying to lose weight. I do not talk about it. Just in the last week a couple of people have started to notice and have commented that my face seems slimmer (I want my thighs slimmer :grumble: ) I still have so much left to lose I just want to keep my journey private.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Other than my MFP pals, nobody else knows. My family lives thousands of miles away, and people where I live don't really notice (I tend to lose from head to toe, proportionately, so I just get overall a bit smaller).

I actually like it that nobody around me knows, because people sometimes have a tendency to become food pushers if they think someone is cutting back on certain kinds of foods. With me, people think that I'm just busy (don't spend a lot of time at breaks with the foodie crowd).
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    All I can say about the people that haven't said anything is that....some people think you'll be insulted or offended if they say something...at least that's what a few peeps at work have said to me along my journey....They'd sorta start out with "I hope I don't offend you or something like that, but I can't believe how much weight you've lost", etc, etc, etc. So who knows!

As for sharing, for me, depends on the mood...some people I tell, some I don't. Lately I've been telling people left and right depending on the situation of course. Like at physical therapy, I made sure they knew, because I wanted them to know how serious I was/am about getting back to working out again, especially because of how much weight I lost....WON'T GO BACK THERE...EVER!
  • FluffyKangaroo
    FluffyKangaroo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I haven't told anyone that I'm dieting and trying to lose a specific amount of weight but when friends and family comment on my weight loss I usually reply that I've been trying quite hard to exercise and eat more healthily and that's what works for me where I am now :) If I need support I have MFP members to keep me motivated! But I like being the one who gets to control my weightloss because it means that there's no one to disappoint or judge my progress. I've been thinking about telling everyone close to me recently though as it may make it easier for them to know that I'm staying away from certain foods and for their general support as well.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Haven't told anyone outside my house, and no one has noticed so far (at least no one has said anything), but I changed jobs in June....
    I only see family at holidays, so I'm looking forward to seeing how observant they are this Christmas.

After losing almost 40 pounds, I saw my husband's family. You would have had to be blind not to notice, but not a single person commented.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Haven't told anyone outside my house, and no one has noticed so far (at least no one has said anything), but I changed jobs in June....
    I only see family at holidays, so I'm looking forward to seeing how observant they are this Christmas.

After losing almost 40 pounds, I saw my husband's family. You would have had to be blind not to notice, but not a single person commented.

Well hell they must be blind then! As someone who's lost a good amount of weight I can tell you that it's nice to be acknowledged! I would have told you that you looked great!

Unfortunately I have to keep my weight loss journey under wraps. I come across a lot of resistance from others especially my family. Only my husband is supportive because he is starting to understand how important it is to be healthy as a lifestyle.

His family isn't so supportive. They use a lot of butter and dairy in their cooking and don't cook from scratch. In fact, even when I have offered to make them a meal I can't because they don't even have a lot of core ingredients to cook a decent meal from scratch! I avoid doing that because it causes frustration and I don't want to be rude. I also have to keep my weight loss journey under wraps because I have had people tell me I don't need to lose weight (not true) I look great (not true) and I am going overboard (not true!).

Here is what I have learned:
    1. People who want to be healthy as a lifestyle for life are perceived as being intimidating.
    2. People who want to eat healthily as a lifestyle and eat "bad" foods in moderation (or sparingly) are perceived as picky and hard to please.
    3. People who want to be more active as a lifestyle are seen as busy-bodies who should just learn to relax and sit down at home and watch tv, or you are spendthrifty because there's no way you can be an active person and life inexpensively. (facepalms)

It's because of that stuff why I don't really talk about it. I learned years ago it's not wise to talk about it. People will always have something negative or judgmental to say, assume YOU are the judgmental one, or worse yet think you are just experiencing a phase like a teenager or something.
  • Sueb1420
    Sueb1420 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do not share but my husband knows and a few others that have noticed. Most lose interest when they ask how I do it and I tell them I eat healthy and track exercise and calories on MFP. Generally that is the end of the subject and if not they whine about why dieting does not work for them. I am not on a diet, never said I was. I decided not to tell my overweight unhealthy family because then I get comments like “That’s all your eating” as they stare at me in shock and my husband’s family Hollywood industry size -0 says “Your going to eat that” in horror as they split a salad, dressing on the side three ways. Yes, they really spilt the salad three ways, dressing on the side, no bread or cheese toppings, no meat for dinner. This was after splitting a very very small breakfast. In my Krav Maga Class (martial arts) if I get tired I would get comments of “Did you eat enough”? That one can be funny. One time I had just fought my way up from the floor defending from three big guys and one wanted to know if I was tired because he noticed I lost weight and was I eating enough. He was on the floor next and I did not hold back. After he was done I asked him if he was tired, he was.
  • cyoung0317
    Options
    The only person who knows I've made changes to my diet/exercise routine are my fiance and my roommate. I'm the same way. I'm nervous that if I tell too many people that if I fall off the wagon, or don't reach my goal as quickly as others expect, that I'll be judged.

Plus, it is such a personal experience that I don't think that others really need to be concerned with the decisions I make for my body. The only reason I told my two closest friends is because everyone needs support sometimes. Building a healthy lifestyle is FOR YOU and YOU ONLY.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I really kept it pretty quiet. My husband, son and daughter and spouses knew, but thats about it. After losing about 12 lbs, one friend noticed and then at 17 lbs lost - at a luncheon, another person had lost 10 lbs and everyone was all over her - Nothing mentioned about me! So i didn't say anything. Then at around 25 lbs lost i started playing tennis again after a year layoff because of injury. I had not seen most of these people in about 6 months or more. THEN - they all noticed! And at 30 lbs several people have come up to me and asked how much i had lost as they didn't recognize me. That was the best of all! Now they are saying - "well, don't lose anymore!" I have gone from a size 12-14 to a 6 or 8. I didn't buy any new clothes until last week - and i can't believe i am trying on and fitting into all the 6's i try! I can't get my head around that yet.

So hang in there - they may not notice for awhile - but they eventually will - and will say something. And like a couple of other posters have said - some may be reluctant to say anything even if they have noticed.

You can do it - and the rewards are amazing. I have Never been slim and i love this feeling!
  • messakins
    messakins Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss over the summer, only my family, best friend, and boyfriend knew. I felt like the whole world didn't need to know my business. :B

When I started school in August, I got many comments from old professors and former classmates about how I've lost weight, and it really made me feel great about myself. :D I just recently reached my goal, so I'm pretty excited to see what my family says when they see me for Thanksgiving.
  • Leebett
    Leebett Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone about my journey this time. I have always self-sabotaged, it is disheartening to see people's face when you start to gain the weight back. Now that I have lost over 50lbs people notice and there is no denying it. I think the not talking about it is because I am doing this for me, not because someone told me to.

Good Luck on your journey!
  • daellio
    daellio Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tell, because it helps to hold me accountable. People notice now, and ask about it. Right now I'm dealing with missing my first goal by a few pounds/weeks and I have the support of the people who have been with me so far in my corner telling me not to focus on missing that goal by a little, but to focus on the 36 pounds GONE. It helps, but everyone is different. :)
  • cdanie13
    cdanie13 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Haters! You're fabulous! :wink:
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm being totally out there and open this go around.... complete with a blog with weekly weigh-ins.
    I want the accountability. I don't bring it up in person much, but it's there if anyone is interested. I really enjoy the interaction with MFP friends and those in the blogosphere. http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/
  • paul096
    paul096 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

5 years ago I was 225 lbs at 5 ft 7 in. and I committed to the atkins diet (if you haven't read and studied the book yourself you do not understand it) and lost 75 lbs in about 10 months. I told no one except my wife. When I was down about 50lbs. people started to notice. When I hit 75lbs. people thought I had cancer or something. While I was doing atkins I looked at MFP but I thought it looked pretty complicated (which it sort of is). I went with charts and a notebook.

Anyway, I could not hold the 75lbs. loss @ 150lbs. I drifted back to a comfortable 170 - 175lbs. level and I was happy. Last spring i started gaining and when I hit 181 I went back onto atkins. I lost 10 lbs. pretty quick but it seemed pretty hard to hold.

Then I saw the Michael Mosley TV show about fasting. It kind of appealed to me. Got the book from the library. Did my own version of it for a couple of weeks, and liked it a lot. Then I saw on the fast diet forum someone mentioned MFP so I took another look and this time it made sense. Unbelievable how many calories are in the foods we eat! I check in daily. I feel MFP is giving me total control and the fasting seems to shrink my appetite.

Today's weigh in, 162. Current goal, 150. When I hit it in December I will probably revise it to 145 so I can have a few lbs daily swing.without going over.

I hate going over!

I still don't bother telling anyone, except my wife (who is in very good shape herself !) about what I'm doing. They either don't want to hear about it or they are not ready to hear about it. I don't want to lecture to or be lectured by anybody with the typical misunderstandings about these issues. If they want to learn from my experiences i am willing to help, but very few really want to learn.

Paul
  • I'm in a similar boat, actually. My friends know that I'm going to the gym more but they don't know that I'm using MFP and that I'm working with a personal trainer :) I just kind of want to let the results speak for themselves, I guess. So I totally understand where you're coming from!
  • marshxomellow
    Options
    Same here. I think my boyfriend knows and a friend or two know about me trying to lose weight. Other than that no one around me seems to be interested enough to know or when I have told them in the past it was like whatever to their ears. I like it better that way anyway. Less people the better and the more I can feel focused.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Since joining just over 50 days ago, I have turned everything I eat into a game.
    I am buzzing with enthusiasm, and have probably told every other random person, about MFP, including the chemist, my gp, the nurse, and my dentist. If I loose weight, that'll be a bonus. I am not doing a 'diet', I am making a life change, to be the healthiest, that I can be, and enjoy myself in the process. To learn to value what I am, and to work a little bit every day towards getting my 'life' back.
    Last week I received compliments from a friend who I've not seen in six months, on how well I looked, and today I jogged outdoors on the tarmac!