Running with canine companions

Options
2»

Replies

• pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    If you're going to the library, I'd recommend "Through a Dog's Eyes" by Jennifer Arnold. She trains dogs to assist disabled people using praise and reward. The book gave me wonderful insight into how a dog thinks.
  • ohmohner
    ohmohner Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have two German Shepherds that I run with (1 on each side).. And the main things I have found to make sure we have a good run are this:

1. I don't let them stop and sniff trees etc. If I did, we would never get any sort of momentum going and they would be leading my run, when it should be the other way around. I am leading them. My dogs are big, so when they jet out to the side or cut me off we all risk getting hurt.

2. No saying "hello" to other dogs--maybe if you are walking that is ok, but on a run I want their full concentration so I don't trip and so they don't get hurt.

3. Keep a tight leash--not tight meaning they have no wiggle room, You don't want to choke them, but they need to be kept next to you. Maybe "short" leash is a better way to put it. My dogs are pretty well trained, I keep them right next to me, however if I let them have a full leash they would absolutely take it! They won't stay right next to me and they will run a muck smelling things and pulling me around etc.. (I'm hoping as they get older this will change LOL).

4. Pay attention to their ears--perky ears means they are too stimulated by something around you, whether its another dog or a person or something, which also means you don't have their full concentration. when this happens I usually pick up the pace a bit which forces them (usually) to concentrate on just running. Then their ears relax and I know they are in the "zone" :O)

5. Run/Walk them often-- The more you train them, the better they get. Plus an exercised dog= a tired dog. a tired dog=a more obedient dog. an obedient dog= a happy owner :O) LOL -- its so true!!

Good luck! And like everyone else has said, all dogs respond differently to different methods--find what works best for you and continue to do the best you can to keep them well behaved.

side note: When I first started training my dogs on walks, I made them stop and sit and EVERY intersection. That has truly been the best thing I ever did. I no longer have to tell them to sit when I stop at a corner, they do it on their own!! (and people are crazy impressed by that LOL) :bigsmile: