Insanity - Injury.. Anything else you would suggest?

Options
I started insanity 2 weeks ago. My knees are SO sore I can barely walk.

I'm just waiting to recover till next week then I want to start exercising again. What other program would you guess suggest that is not so high impact??

I enjoyed it very much, so a little disappointed... Felt a difference already, that would usually take me a month...

Please help???

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? C-V health, Endurance, Strength-endurance, Strength, Fat-loss, Hypertrophy, Power development, etc?

What equipment do you have available to you?

How many days a week/how long do you want to devote to a programme?
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Same questions as jimmmer. I did Insanity and yes it is tough and high impact. I have heard T25 also by Shaun t is lower impact.
  • dumparump
    dumparump Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you have even one set of dumb bells (I started with 15's) I'd suggest p90x.
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'd start with Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred or Kettlebell Shred and work up through her levels. Once you feel better, try Insanity again. I have been a fitness instructor for 8 years and teach 6 1/2 hours a week. I just upped my schedule to 3 HIIT classes of those six (others are Spinning, Barre and Pilates) and I want to die. HIIT is not really intended to be done over and over and even my gals that are in amazing shape are suffering from knees and fatigue from the plyo, high intensity, etc. I also see many MANY people who are all or nothing exercisers and they give up pretty quickly because they've done too much too soon. It's okay to ease into it and that's why I like the JM stuff. You can start with Level 1 and work up.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Any program that has a modification option would be a good idea. Even if you can't keep up and just side step or walk/jog in place til you feel ok to go again. Things that pop into my head for this: p90x, t25, Turbo Fire, Les Mills Combat. Sorry it's all Beachbody stuff, but I'm a Beachbody coach and have almost all the programs so it's what I'm use to :D Let me know if you have any questions about them, just message me :)
  • stephig1
    stephig1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? C-V health, Endurance, Strength-endurance, Strength, Fat-loss, Hypertrophy, Power development, etc?

I only have a matt, and three sets of dumbbells. 0.5kg, 1kg and 5kg.
    Fat-loss and toning is main priority to me.

Was looking for something that is about 5 days a week. I enjoyed Insanity, because it's not a boring DVD and afterwards I can feel I really did a workout.

Was looking at P90X, but looked like you need a pull up bar also?? Which won't be possible for me. What exercise can I do instead of the pull-up bar then??

Thanks for everybody's replies***
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I only have a matt, and three sets of dumbbells. 0.5kg, 1kg and 5kg.
    Fat-loss and toning is main priority to me.

Was looking for something that is about 5 days a week. I enjoyed Insanity, because it's not a boring DVD and afterwards I can feel I really did a workout.

Was looking at P90X, but looked like you need a pull up bar also?? Which won't be possible for me. What exercise can I do instead of the pull-up bar then??

Thanks for everybody's replies***

Sounds like you would do well with a similar (but less bone-jarring) dvd programme. Others have suggested suitable replacements above. Sounds like the same people made T25 for exactly this purpose. I have no personal experience with these recommendations, but can point you to good kettlebell material that will achieve what you want.

One word of caution if you're looking for kettlebells: stay away from that Jillian woman. Her form is atrocious. Look to something like the Art of Strength dvd's by Anthony Diluglio or the Skoggs System kettlebell dvd set. Either of these are actually zero impact and arguably a tougher metabolic challenge. You'll lose fat and retain muscle mass as long as your diet is dialled in.