How do you break a food addiction?

Options
I binged today. I've been trying to get back on my healthy eating, I know how to do it, but everything has just hit me hard lately. I have no vices save for food. I feel horribly now and I'm trying to make changes, but it just feels like a vicious cycle. I go to sleep promising to get up early and work out and instead sleep in and leave no time for myself. Is this what it's like to have an addiction? How can I get my motivation back?

Replies

• Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    A binge is no big deal. I occasionally have days when I break 5000 calories. If it is everyday then there is a problem. Your running average calories consumed should be below your goal. Every day doesn't have to be. Starting intermittent fasting has really helped me with my food cravings. These days I sometimes forget that it is time to eat.
    The other thing that really helped was lifting weights. If you are on a structured, heavy weight program, your problem will actually be how to eat ENOUGH calories.

A couple of links that might help:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you can get your motivation back, I still struggle with mine. I find the best way for me is to buy healthy yummy food, prepare it all (this week for me it was homemade chicken and veg soup and a mince and rice dish) so IT requires no thinking - when I am rushed, or busy at work or really hungry I just pull a container out of the fridge and pop in in the microwave. The better I eat the less junk I want to eat and this really helps me. Can you work out in the evenings? I try to be one of those morning workout people but unfortunately my motivation at 6am is not great - better that I plan to do it in the evening and actually do it, than try and fail for the mornings.

Hope this helps
  • You have to replace the addiction with something else.
    Likewise its good to only affiliate food with fullness.
    (I'm still trying to beat this too but it helps)
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Staying motivated is hard for me, too. It isn't until I am near the end of my first mile of my morning run that I can honestly say to myself, "I can do this." For the last two week, I am at 3.6 miles feeling like I have another mile or two in me. I like that feeling.

You can do this! You can meet and even exceed your goals.
  • Paintbynumb3rs
    Paintbynumb3rs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it's been a stressful month and I'm taking it out on myself