Heathly on a budget?! Need Help

Options

Replies

• featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    So much great info. One thing that has slashed my grocery budget by a third was signing up for www.emeals.com. I use their portion control family plan, though I'm only feeding two. I week's menu lasts us two weeks, and provides lunch and dinner most days (we have the odd meal out with family or whatnot) and breaks down to $70-$80 per menu. It's made a huge difference for us.

The portion control has been fave so far (i"ve tried a bunch of emeals' plans) because it includes lots of fresh produce and lean meats. And takes all the work out of meal planning ;)

"http://emeals.com/account/go.php?r=472534&i=b14"
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Check out www.BountifulBaskets.com. They are a co-op and i know there are several pick up areas in Kentucky. For $15 you get about $50 of produce (fruit and veggies). It's an awesome way to get your fresh veggies without breaking the bank. And if you have a small family you could always split with a neighbor or co-worker. Plus you get what's being harvested in your area at the time. It's a great way for you to try new things that you would not think of trying otherwise. They have these all over the US so check it out.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    two words.. EXTREME COUPONING HAHA If I was in your country i'd love to try extreme couponing lol
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Love this basic recipe as you can add/subtract most anything you have.

Another lower item cost can be the fattier ground beef or turkey. Cook it,then pour very hot water over,drain & save in zip locks or any container with lid & freeze.All ready for any recipe calling for ground beef.You can cut down on amount of meat.
    All meatless meals can save $$ unless you sub too much cheese.Eggs can be used for dinner.Add toast,a side dish & there you go.

http://disgustinglygood.com/2011/02/20/no-crust-quiche/
  • ShanStaR1908
    Options
    Try http://www.blogilates.com They have amazing, healthy, quick and cheap recipes for all sorts of foods! :D And also check out http://recipes.sparkpeople.com :) xx
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    also myfridgefood.com finds recipes based on ingredients you have. you can go through and pick cheap ingredients like beans, eggs, veggies, a whole chicken etc and then from there it will find you recipes.
    slow cookers are awesome too you can make random pasta and veg dishes in it, make soups which cost way less than canned soup servings, a whole chicken and then use that to mix in other meals throughout the week, a whole chicken at the grocery here in ny runs like 5 or 6 bucks for a weeks worth of meals. good luck!
  • sherri_bee
    sherri_bee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting that site - I'd never heard of it.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    "healthy" does not have to = expensive. Dried beans, oats, grains and rices are cheap...eggs are cheap...buy frozen vegetables rather than fresh produce...there are always sales on various meats/poultry, etc. I save way more money these days prepping and cooking my own meals than I ever did buying convenient foods and eating out.

This. Lentils as well will add protein and can be bough in bigger bags for lower price.
  • Astar898
    Astar898 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Those big bags of fish at Walmart are a great investment. For around $11 me and my boyfriend eat off of these for over a month eating fish several times a week. You can also buy big bags of frozen chicken breast there too for relatively low cost. I've learned you can do a lot with some chicken.

Eggs are a frequent breakfast, I just get creative to make them different ways so I don't get bored with them, add all kinds of vegetables and even cheese to them. I noticed the white cheeses like mozzarella have a longer shelf life so you have longer to use them.

Yogurt is relatively cheap, the store brand to me is just as good as Yoplait and you can get them cheaper, especially when they are on sale.

Hope this helps you some :)
  • missgardin
    missgardin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat fish a lot and salad
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The ibotta (various stores) and Cartwheel (Target, if yours sells food) apps has a lot of deals if you have a smart phone or access to one for shopping.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Check out www.BountifulBaskets.com. They are a co-op and i know there are several pick up areas in Kentucky. For $15 you get about $50 of produce (fruit and veggies). It's an awesome way to get your fresh veggies without breaking the bank. And if you have a small family you could always split with a neighbor or co-worker. Plus you get what's being harvested in your area at the time. It's a great way for you to try new things that you would not think of trying otherwise. They have these all over the US so check it out.

I second Bountiful Baskets. Even with the surcharge for each order you pay less than $20 for a lot of produce.
    My husband and I eat A LOT of fruit and veggies and depending on how much I have left from the previous pick up I will get an order every 1-2 weeks.
    When I compare it to the grocery store prices here I pay about half for the basket than what it would cost me at the store and the quality is really good.
  • vanessalkl
    Options
    I swear by bananas and oatmeal! Healthy, delicious and satisfying! They also don't cause a dent in your bank account :wink:
  • ElizabethIrish
    ElizabethIrish Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There are ways to make delicous and cheap salads. I focus on the fresh veggies that are much less expensive then find delicous and creative recipes for them. Go to allrecipes.com, type in the ingredient then go with the one or two with the highest rating. I've never gone wrong with this!

I have used this formula with the following very cheap veggies that I would not normally buy or prepares: sweet potatoes, radishes, rutabegas, squash, green beans, fresh spinach, carrots, parsnips, potatotes, green peppers. All of these are super cheap and can be SO delicious.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    My biggest weapon is Aldi's. If my money got too tight - it would be the only place I went.
    I just got:
    10 pounds russet potatoes 1.49
    3 pounds yellow onion .59
    celery .59
    3 pounds sweet potatoes .89
    1 pound cranberries .79
    1 fresh pineapple .99

I always hit their produce - cheapest around here. If my money was tighter it would be my only store.
    I also get apples, eggs, cereal, cocoa, butter, yogurt (they have pumpkin pie right now - OMG), cheese (1.49/8oz right now), canned goods, turkey polish sausage, low calorie wraps and such. If there is one near you - start there! (They take cash and debit only BTW)

My other trick is Kroger - they do a give away on your Kroger card nearly every Friday (you have to download the coupon onto your card). It's random - but free is free. Then I hit them for Natural PB (store brand), cheap produce, meat sales, clearance (meat, produce, bakery and a small shelf clearance section).

Meal planning is a big help - look for ways to turn those leftovers into another meal. One of my favorite things to do is eat last nights leftovers today in a giant salad - that salad gets pretty weird, er, um, creative sometimes. I've found I'll eat almost anything on a salad.
  • kellyskitties
    Options
    I have used this formula with the following very cheap veggies that I would not normally buy or prepares: sweet potatoes, radishes, rutabegas, squash, green beans, fresh spinach, carrots, parsnips, potatotes, green peppers. All of these are super cheap and can be SO delicious.

You can fry radishes like potatoes - and they don't even taste very radishy afterwards - tastes much better than it sounds I promise!

I also bake potatoes - a crock pot full at a time for the week. I wash potatoes good, oil my hands, rub each with oil on my hands, drop into crockpot, salt the skins - tossing them around some, set on high a few hours or low for the day. Store in fridge - use for potato salad, baked potato, potato soup, fried potato etc. Such a timesaver for potato use through the week.

I also crockpot some meat for the week often. Meat of the week (chicken, beef - whatever was under $3/pound) - then develop recipe ideas around the meat I already have cooked.
  • kellyskitties
    Options

I second Bountiful Baskets. Even with the surcharge for each order you pay less than $20 for a lot of produce.
    My husband and I eat A LOT of fruit and veggies and depending on how much I have left from the previous pick up I will get an order every 1-2 weeks.
    When I compare it to the grocery store prices here I pay about half for the basket than what it would cost me at the store and the quality is really good.

That link is for gourmet overpriced gift baskets with themes - I'm not sure that's what you guys meant?
  • pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just started using mygrocerydeals.com to help pick up things on sale, meats vegetables are the base of my diet and can be expensive or cheap depending on if its a sale price, and using buy one get one free deals can add up. Plus the site is free and easy to use. The more fun stuff I just pay for on an as craved basis.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options

That link is for gourmet overpriced gift baskets with themes - I'm not sure that's what you guys meant?

Their website is www.bountifulbaskets.org

Read their new participant instructions for all information.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    English farmhouse style cooking can be very cheap.

You use cheaper cuts of meat like chuck steak, pork shoulder, etc.

Cooked low and slow in a casserole with root vegi's like potato, carrot, parsnip, swede.

Make in large quantities. Divide into containers and freeze. Quick to re-heat, nutritious and delicious.

Another great make is chilli con carne from scratch with mince meat. Make, divide freeze. Can then be eaten multiple days in a row by changing what you serve it with, rice, jacket potatoes, etc. A good ragu is similar and portions can be eaten with pasta, jacket potatoes or made into a lasagne.

It's easy to eat cheap nutritious fare by using the cheaper meats and making large quantities. Then being flexible with the ways you serve it.