Question on Home workouts and strength training

Options
The closest gym to me is a half hour away and with working full-time, having two school aged children with extracurricular activities and a husband that works out of town, getting to the gym is too difficult at this point. I also have another limitation. I had a multilevel cervical spinal fusion earlier this year (C4-C7). I will never be able to lift heavy.

I have been working out to Lauren Brooks Kettlebell dvd's - Volume 1, 2 KB Lightning and KB Body. I am currently using 10, 15 and 18 lb bells. I probably will never be able to go beyond 22-25 lbs. I usually do this about three times per week. I also use the treadmill for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes two times per week (walking inclines and jogging - I used to run half marathons and hope to increase my mileage this spring). Is this sufficient for tightening, toning and looking better?

Replies

• Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bumping for input...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the kettle bell DVD but generally speaking, DVD workouts are more muscular endurance training vs strength training. If you want to do strength training at home I would recommend something like "Convict Conditioning" or "You Are Your Own Gym" that will provide for a full body, body weight strength routine.
  • Chelkb
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to check it out.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I work out at home with a barbell, plates and dumbbells. You might want to work towards heavier kettlebells over time. I understand your limitation might prevent you from lifting too heavy though. I have Chiari Malformation and had to have brain surgery earlier this year which involved a full C1 laminectomy and partial C2 laminectomy.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Suspension trainer. Trust me, all you need, and great for anyone with disabilities that prevent them from working with heavy weights. I use it and swear by it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Suspension trainer. Trust me, all you need, and great for anyone with disabilities that prevent them from working with heavy weights. I use it and swear by it.

Didn't think about this. I use one a little bit too :)
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Home gym can bring great results. A female trainer I know works out from home and has the most cut legs I know. She does different lunges with kbs, medicine balls, etc.

Do not under estimate the good (and pain, lol) of
    Suspension ropes
    resistance bands (band jacks, plank jacks, many other uses)
    medicine balls
    Ab wheel
    chin up bar

with the KB you already have, do you do Turkish get ups, manmakers?

Throw cardio between sets, like 200 jump ropes, burpees, good mornings, etc .... you can look awesome
  • Chelkb
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas! @MB_Positif ~ hope you have healed & feel better. I love hearing positive stories about pushing through to stay healthy. I'll check out the suspension trainer for sure and with time hopefully get some other equipment. @wmartin852 ~ I love turkish get-ups but am only currently using 15 lb bell for those. My favorite kettlebell exercise is the snatch but again with only 15 lbs right now.
  • menatschin
    Options
    A cheap set of adjustable dumbbell sand a flat bench can help you diversify without taking much room. I train at home exclusively, as I do not have the time or inclination to deal with travel to the gym etc. it can be done.